To old crawl vets

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 14:12

To old crawl vets

who don't actually play crawl (I know it's quite a few of you)

I've been playing Crawl for years off and on, won several times, died a lot more. Did you all do something in particular to kick the habit? Did you start up a different game, take up smoking, what?

I mean, I even got married and I still come shuffling back, barely conscious, to crawl. Another game came out named Crawl, causing one of my friends to ask "wait, crawl or dungeon crawl?" facetiously every time I talk about dcss and still I'm like "I think crawl is a really interesting and anomalous case study on game design vis a vis community-generated content"

It's not that I'm actively trying to quit, but just help me understand how it's done

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks:
luckless

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 15:10

Re: To old crawl vets

You admit to yourself that you are addicted and don't actually have fun playing crawl. Then you stop ruining the game for others with holier-than-thou attitude and crazy stupid ideas that won't affect you because you're not even play anymore. Thema you do something with your life. That's how you stop being a vitriol vet.

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 15:12

I don't know. I had a few years' break a few years ago. I guess I stopped playing Crawl then because I played other games. Then I came back and Crawl was better than ever and I stopped playing other games (no time).

I assume that when I win my last remaining background (Tm) and gods (Zin, Beogh, Chei, Qaz, Hep, Uskawhatshername +the gods that get added later) I might play something else too (and less Crawl)...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 15:29

just play DoomRL instead

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
nago

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 15:34

just play Doom instead

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, nago

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 16:00

just play-doh instead

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 16:48

Just Kickstart Jupiter hell, there are only 4 days left
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 20:48

I still play occasionally. The game just got so easy that it stopped being worth the time, and turncount speedruns are too frustrating with needing 100 tries for one viable character. There's no enjoyment in playing when most of the mid-late game is an exercise in button mashing.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
nago, WalkerBoh

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 22:45

Just uninstall the game from your computer.
I am borderline on videogame addiction, and I can't use certain titles like the Crusader Kings series, or I would actually play them some 20 hours per day, foregoing food, sleep or social interaction. The only way I manage to get off it is exploiting moments of frustration within the game, to turn it off and uninstall it. I then have to force myself not to reinstall it for a few weeks, after which cravings, flashbacks, and dreams of playing the game disappear and I can spend months without thinking about it.

So, ragequitting kinda saved my life.

Crawl isn't as bad because of how short most pcs lives are, and because it actually bores me rather easily, so I may just enter Tomb at lvl 21 and splat because things are going too easily and I'm not having fun. But grand strategy games with very long matches are something O can't touch with a 10 foot pole.
I actually quit Crawl for a few years because the game was making me sad. I guess I played it in a different way back then.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 23:02

If you find yourself playing a game too much, you're depressed.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

For this message the author ThreeInvisibleDucks has received thanks:
Utis

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 23:24

i got bored of games in general including crawl, i started some outdoor hobbies, started reading more, and went back to college for a new degree. i still play occasionally when i'm tired/bored/depressed, but even then i'd usually rather watch junk on youtube

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 23:57

I've mostly switched to board games.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
Utis

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 10th December 2016, 00:01

i still play crawl on my commute, but most of the time i play dark souls these days

PM me if you wanna pvp or coop or something
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 2
n1000, ZipZipskins

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 10th December 2016, 00:38

I got a life, then subsequently lost it and started playing crawl again
take it easy

For this message the author Cheibrodos has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, ZipZipskins

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th December 2016, 02:27

Cheibrodos wrote:I got a life, then subsequently lost it and started playing crawl again

Wait, I thought Crawl was life...
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 10th December 2016, 09:34

For me, the biggest drop came after comborobin was finished. I've played the game every now and then after that, to check the new additions and sometimes just to kill time.
But the old sparkle just wasn't there. I tried Caves of Qud, ADOM and Angband. Liked them but never saw a long-term relationship coming. Angband was kinda ex I hadn't seen for a long time :)

For OP:s question it was just that I had enough. Still like to play but the addiction is gone. Its kinda same what tabstorm said. I did not play the same way as him (almost always reaching for the heaviest armor possible) but the game still got too repetitive and easy after certain point. Looking at my morgues I have pretty much same spells learned and there is not much variation in skill distribution. That could be knowingly changed but I'm pretty sure it would have the opposite effect if I started to play against my will.

This new experimental god is a fresh breeze to the face. I'm close to my first rune with it and really cannot say if it is overpowered or balanced. Maybe a bit too strong as it gives just too powerful weapons for a relatively minor Invo investment (talking about 10 points here). I hope it gets into the next stable version, balanced or not :)

For this message the author Sphara has received thanks:
nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 10th December 2016, 23:34

Sphara wrote:For OP:s question it was just that I had enough. Still like to play but the addiction is gone. Its kinda same what tabstorm said. I did not play the same way as him (almost always reaching for the heaviest armor possible) but the game still got too repetitive and easy after certain point. Looking at my morgues I have pretty much same spells learned and there is not much variation in skill distribution. That could be knowingly changed but I'm pretty sure it would have the opposite effect if I started to play against my will.

Any predominantly melee character pretty much wants to use the same set of skills and a few spells that are strictly better than others because they don't check spell power and don't directly damage enemies but serve to reposition you or help you take less damage. The main reason to use heavy armor is that spells are overrated and evasion is overrated, and axes + shields is underrated. You don't need XP investment to accumulate AC, basically, or SH to a lesser extent (You can use even a large shield with little penalties, like 0.05 delay and an EV + spell penalty but who cares, at around 17 shields. This realization changed my mind about shields.) Basically, I think it's pretty much understood what the best way to play a melee character is. It's generally frustrating to build in a way that you know is suboptimal (at the level of your character archetype) for the sake of variety.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
Rast, Shard1697

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 10th December 2016, 23:50

Shtopit wrote:So, ragequitting kinda saved my life.

This is a great method. Just try to streak and get your fifth or so character in some frustrating way. You've invested enough to be mad at the loss but too dismayed to start again.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 01:13

Zooty wrote:
Shtopit wrote:So, ragequitting kinda saved my life.

This is a great method. Just try to streak and get your fifth or so character in some frustrating way. You've invested enough to be mad at the loss but too dismayed to start again.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 021001.txt

Why I don't really play any more
remove food

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 10:09

My condolences.

Code:
650546 tabstorm the Black Belt (level 26, 0/193 HPs)
             Began as a Vine Stalker Monk on Oct 3, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Killed by divine providence
             ... invoked by a balrug
              (8 damage)
             ... in Pandemonium on Oct 4, 2016.
             The game lasted 03:28:35 (15930 turns).

7 runes after 15.9 k, this could have been something like, let's say, 23 k to get all the runes and escape with the orb. You would have improved your personal highscore, a DDBe of Makh, who ascended after 25.4 k.

I had a look at the morgue of your VSMo. Maybe the following was a mistake?

Code:
2055 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Cheibriados the Contemplative

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 14:34

No, I forgot to ring swap. I had no rC source except Ice, thus I was not rF against a balrug and took a lot of damage from af:Fire. You aren't going to get that kind of turncount as a warrior without Cheibriados outside of DD^Makh. I think Chei-Statue extended is actually pretty easy if you have resists, due to the maxhp boost and rtorm making the only two real sources of damage (hellfire and torment) less dangerous. Only real danger is brimstone fiends.

This is why rings of rC+/Ice and rF+/Fire should just be merged, ring swapping when it actually matters sucks.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
nago

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 20:51

I think a lot of the fun in Crawl for me was having goals. First it was to reach certain branches, then to win, get first 15-runer etc. Last goal I had was to win every species but now it just feels like too much time investment and repetitiveness.

For this message the author moocowmoocow has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, VeryAngryFelid

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 12th December 2016, 12:25

ZipZipskins wrote:I mean, I even got married and I still come shuffling back, barely conscious, to crawl.

You think you have had enough
Of ogres and runes and that stuff?
Never say never,
Probably ever
You'll return to what once was your love.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2016, 11:10

plot to the terminator
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 09:41

I won a lot of games and now whenever I think about what I could do I realize that I know exactly what I should do so I just don't bother and just sit around or whatever

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner