Most difficult Branch Ends

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 02:38

Most difficult Branch Ends

Thread because the frog pond in the middle of the lair is way, way, way worse than all the other lair endings. If my characters even think about straying from the stairs... splat! The other endings have tougher enemies, but you're not getting swarmed immediately by a bunch of critters that are faster than you. It is so much nastier than the demons or the dire elephants or what-have you. Is this a problem?

None of the other vault-based branch ending have a significant difficulty variance, but....

The spider ending with the door flat-out killed me the first time I ran into it. Now I know that I need to clear the rest of the level, read teleport, and then open the door so the ghost moths and spark wasps disperse. The other spider branch ends are - if not cake - not really that much worse than the rest of spider.

Crossbow orcs are probably the worst orc:2 for most characters, maybe?

I really don't see any swamp or snake ending as being harder than any other.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 02:45

Re: Most difficult Branch Ends

Frog pond was recently changed to be less swarmy - the middle is closed now and monsters can't cross it - and it is less swarmy than before but that's not saying a lot.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 03:01

dunno, today i got spider end with at least 3 ghost moths, just said "fuck it i hate this" and tabbed myself to death. definitely doable with a lot of summons and consumables, but sometimes when crawl wants to kill you, you just say, ok, crawl

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 05:04

I dunno about difficult, but I always find Cocytus 7 really tedious... lots of crossing or moving around water, lots of luring, and the enemies arent all that interesting. Give me a good hell sentinel or iron giant any day.

For this message the author lethediver has received thanks:
dowan

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 07:37

There's a snake rune vault that has some unpassable terrain (lava or deep water, not sure) lake you have to walk around. On the other side you have the usual snake denizens, many with ranged attacks. Walking straight in is certainly lethal. I don't think it's too difficult, but it does take a rather long time to lure everything out. Consequently I really had to fight against my own impatience.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 2
chequers, dowan

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 07:54

Every snake rune vault has more or less the same problem, given that they're all packed full of giant, slow bags of hp that both take some effort to kill and take forever to lure back to a choke point.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 09:23

Icy and miasma Swamp endings are harder than the rest imo, and of course the LH can be a nasty surprise for a newbie.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 15:31

Gonna go with the V:5 ending where all 4 sectors are wide open, no chokepoints, no walls to attenuate the noise - its pretty bad.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 16:15

prozacelf wrote:Every snake rune vault has more or less the same problem, given that they're all packed full of giant, slow bags of hp that both take some effort to kill and take forever to lure back to a choke point.

I just wiped out to 5 guardian serpents in snake:4. I never enjoy snake:4.

I used to really hate the Miasma ending of Swamp, but recent rot changes made it better - and I never thought it was that hard, I just lost a lot of permanent hit points. It's strange that none of the swamp endings are "A bunch of thorn hunters" since they are BY FAR the most dangerous swampy criters.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 16:16

le_nerd wrote:Gonna go with the V:5 ending where all 4 sectors are wide open, no chokepoints, no walls to attenuate the noise - its pretty bad.

I haven't had that in a while. I was hoping they got rid of it. :D

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 16:35

Reptisaurus wrote:
prozacelf wrote:Every snake rune vault has more or less the same problem, given that they're all packed full of giant, slow bags of hp that both take some effort to kill and take forever to lure back to a choke point.

I just wiped out to 5 guardian serpents in snake:4. I never enjoy snake:4.

I used to really hate the Miasma ending of Swamp, but recent rot changes made it better - and I never thought it was that hard, I just lost a lot of permanent hit points. It's strange that none of the swamp endings are "A bunch of thorn hunters" since they are BY FAR the most dangerous swampy criters.

GOOD SUGGESTION

That absurd Shoals ending where everything is out in the open is quite obnoxious. I'll take the small enclosures any day of having every mob have near immediate LOS of you.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 23:40

Shoals 4, all of them, but especially the wide-open ending.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
dynast

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 18th June 2016, 00:38

For Lair:$, demon ending is the one i always skip (just the wizard and demons, not the forest). The relatively new one with a sun(spider?)-shaped construction containing guardian serpents and nasties is the one i should probably start skipping too.
For Swamp:$, anything with the Lernaean hydra is pretty ridiculous. Undead endings, on the other hand, i find to be a free rune.
Shoals:4 and Vaults:5 are the scariest in general.
Last edited by ZoFy on Saturday, 18th June 2016, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 18th June 2016, 12:41

Reptisaurus wrote:
le_nerd wrote:Gonna go with the V:5 ending where all 4 sectors are wide open, no chokepoints, no walls to attenuate the noise - its pretty bad.

I was under the impression that the four sectors are picked randomly from a large-ish list. You have to get fairly unlucky to get four open quadrants.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 18th June 2016, 14:54

ZoFy wrote:The relatively new one with a sun-shaped construction

Its a spider.
You shall never see my color again.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 18th June 2016, 20:06

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:
Reptisaurus wrote:

I was under the impression that the four sectors are picked randomly from a large-ish list. You have to get fairly unlucky to get four open quadrants.

It does work like that, but for some reason a whole bunch of open layouts got added to the list a while back. I don't know the history but I guess someone wanted Vaults:5 to be harder.
take it easy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 18th June 2016, 20:50

To me spider, because I usually get there when I don't yet have a decent weapon to use against emperor scorpions (I tend not to leave the last level for later). Otherwise, Vaults can be ugly because of Wardens, but, otherwise, I just attempt using a scroll of immolation and, when I think it's run out, I do some stair dancing. Same for the Tomb.

Earlier it was Elf. It seems that I get there with a few more levels now, but, earlier, it was where I died most often, or got banished and died in the Abyss.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th June 2016, 21:09

Cheibrodos wrote:It does work like that, but for some reason a whole bunch of open layouts got added to the list a while back. I don't know the history but I guess someone wanted Vaults:5 to be harder.
It was dpeg. The chance of getting 4 quadrants with bad terrain is still super low though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th June 2016, 07:04

Reptisaurus wrote:It's strange that none of the swamp endings are "A bunch of thorn hunters" since they are BY FAR the most dangerous swampy criters.

Don't give them ideas.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 20th June 2016, 07:46

I'd like to keep trivializing swamp endings with a single potion of invisibility, thanks.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
ZoFy

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 20th June 2016, 15:55

Worst branch end I ever had was a Vaults:5 that was entirely made out of green crystal walls. All the scary things in there became twice as scary. Ended up just giving up and grabbed the slime rune instead.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner