Stoneskin Rework

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 13:17

Stoneskin Rework

Stoneskin gives a higher amount of AC, GDR and has a very short duration(all based on spellpower) and petrifies the player at the end of it. It cannot be used during statue form and cannot be cancelled by casting statue form. The spell cannot be cast again to refresh the duration.
You shall never see my color again.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 16:19

Re: Stoneskin Rework

A defensive berserk? Neat. Can the petrification be cancelled by cancellation, as usual, or is it immediate?

As is, I have a tough time imagining using this--berserk lets you kill the enemies on screen quickly, but this would not. A defensive buff is best used at the beginning of a fight, but you would want to save casting this till there are few enough enemies left that you would probably be better served by attacking them.

This is a distinct idea, but I think a phase shift that gravity anchors you could be interesting.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 16:30

Yes, you would be able to cancel pretification with the potion, the same way you can cancel the aftereffect of rage. I thought about gravity anchor for phase shift but it is not as interesting, specially when you can abuse PoG.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 16:34

Petrify might be a bit much. Slow would work, I think.

I was actually about to suggest bringing back phase shift and having it give vertigo for a while after it ends, as well as preventing it from being cast again until the vertigo goes away.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 16:58

I don't really understand the reasoning of trying to fix buffs by making them absolute trash. If the objective is to make sure they are never used, it seems much more efficient and also honest just to straight-up remove them.

If your proposed defensive buff is worse than a brisk walk to the stairs, it is never useful. It needs to be worth investing xp, and it needs to be worth investing combat turns and mp, and it needs to do its job better than just walking away.

Exactly how much AC are you suggesting is worth being completely helpless after a short period of damage reduction? The other abilities that have similar drawbacks include a huge multiplicative damage boost and flat-out invincibility.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 3
archaeo, nago, ZoFy

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 17:30

Such effects belong on consumables, not on spells, for the reasons outlined in this thread -- starting with the OP: look what type of handicaps you have to put on a buff spell. None of that is needed on a potion (say), where simply "it's only available in a small number" is sufficient to generate decisions.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 18:26

On a related note, do people actually use nerfed Swiftness with non-AE's?
Last edited by ZoFy on Saturday, 30th April 2016, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 18:32

yes. I also use ozocubu's.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 18:41

ZoFy wrote:On a related note, do people actually used nerfed Swiftness with non-AE's?

Pretty much the only situation where it is useful is when you're next to a melee monster, and you're not too far and not too close to stairs, and you cast swiftness to get a space between you and the monster as you walk to the stairs.
It's worth learning on many characters just for this use case.

It was kind of too good before.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks: 2
Leszczynek, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 20:47

KoboldLord wrote:I don't really understand the reasoning of trying to fix buffs by making them absolute trash. If the objective is to make sure they are never used, it seems much more efficient and also honest just to straight-up remove them.

Just coming up with a spell that players could use in a creative way to handle things, thus making the game more fun, though, now that i think about it, this idea is just a spellcaster's "rage".
KoboldLord wrote:If your proposed defensive buff is worse than a brisk walk to the stairs, it is never useful. It needs to be worth investing xp, and it needs to be worth investing combat turns and mp, and it needs to do its job better than just walking away.

Oh please, tell me what buffes are better than heading upstairs so i can make a post requesting them to be removed or turned into trash aswell.
KoboldLord wrote:Exactly how much AC are you suggesting is worth being completely helpless after a short period of damage reduction? The other abilities that have similar drawbacks include a huge multiplicative damage boost and flat-out invincibility.

Not enough to be too weak and not too much to be overpowered.

I honestly surprised that this post was taken this serious, considering how vague the proposal was.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 20:55

Wahaha wrote:
ZoFy wrote:On a related note, do people actually used nerfed Swiftness with non-AE's?

Pretty much the only situation where it is useful is when you're next to a melee monster, and you're not too far and not too close to stairs, and you cast swiftness to get a space between you and the monster as you walk to the stairs.
It's worth learning on many characters just for this use case.

It was kind of too good before.

If you're next to a melee monster, you can usually just walk away until you're "not too far away and not too close," then cast Swiftness and get away. Also, you have Air and/or Charms trained, so you can/probably do have rMissile as well, and god forbid you can create some kind of field effect/summon to cover your retreat, making escape almost entirely trivial. :/
"This spell will have no effect right now because your brain is too dead to use."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 21:10

swiftness is pretty much definitely good, but it is good in a very tedious way and almost all encounters are easy to begin with, so it's not used much

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 21:23

It totally looked i don't know how to use the Swiftness but i just never remember to do so if i learn it mid-game. If it gets used by non-AEs, Swiftness should be in a good spot balance-wise. We could give Stoneskin the same treatment and make it decrease AC after expiring. This doesn't sound like a good idea.
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 1st May 2016, 01:00

dpeg wrote:Such effects belong on consumables, not on spells, for the reasons outlined in this thread -- starting with the OP: look what type of handicaps you have to put on a buff spell. None of that is needed on a potion (say), where simply "it's only available in a small number" is sufficient to generate decisions.

Dosen't this apply to almost all charms?

Also, ozocubu's armor got changed in a basically similar way to OPs suggestion.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
dynast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 1st May 2016, 01:22

Best thing about ozo's armour is that you can cancel it with flame tongue.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 1st May 2016, 04:45

ZoFy wrote:On a related note, do people actually use nerfed Swiftness with non-AE's?

If I didn't have any Necromancy or Summoning or Translocation spells I'd use Swiftness I guess, but that's a rare-sounding game.
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 2nd May 2016, 03:19

I memorize it all the time because it works off the same schools and is the same level as rMissels, so I can cast it. it is very useful for escaping melee monsters, but most of the time by the time you can cast rMissels you don't need escapes if you are playing well.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner