Why is it that we have "Hell lions", but no "Lions"?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 08:43

Why is it that we have "Hell lions", but no "Lions"?

Seriously though? Would a pride of lions in Lair be too much to ask?
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 08:55

Re: Why is it that we have "Hell lions", but no "Lions"?

Actually, they are "hell ions". We should therefore have regular ions, which combine like slime creatures but gain different powers depending on the ions in the conglomerate.

Oxygen ion makes the compound inner flamed, nitrogen ion lets it deal asphyxiation damage, fluorine ion gives it a corrosive attack, hydrogen ion increases its speed and carbon ion grants it rF, rC, rElec and +10 AC. Ions appear in packs, but unlike slime creatures, they combine after ~10-20 turns spent in their sight instead of fusing when they can't get near the player.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 09:19

oh my god, when people say "nitrogen is an asphyxiant" they don't mean that if you breathe in some nitrogen, you choke and die. it means that it's a gas that isn't toxic, but also isn't oxygen, so if you breathe it instead of oxygen, you die from asphyxiation. the amount of asphyxiation deaths associated with nitrogen isn't because nitrogen magically stops your lungs from getting oxygen, it's because when people want to asphyxiate themselves they stick their heads in bags of nitrogen (because it's painless, cheap, and your brain can't tell you're asphyxiating). i swear to god i was DMing this game one time and there was a part where there was a room with some compressed nitrogen tanks and this guy was like "open all the tanks so i choke and pass out" okay ass-for-brains, you open the valves on all the tanks and nothing happens because now 75% of the air you're breathing is nitrogen, instead of 74%. any of those other gases except oxygen would do just as much asphyxiation damage

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 09:23

Hellfire has been just renamed to "damnation", so maybe hellions will be damn-lions too?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 09:31

Sar: You didn't pay attention in this thread! They will be renamed to damnions, of course.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 09:50

dam-nation? so hellions are now dutch?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 09:59

dpeg wrote:Sar: You didn't pay attention in this thread! They will be renamed to damnions, of course.

Damn it!

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 10:07

duvessa wrote:oh my god, when people say "nitrogen is an asphyxiant" they don't mean that if you breathe in some nitrogen, you choke and die. it means that it's a gas that isn't toxic, but also isn't oxygen, so if you breathe it instead of oxygen, you die from asphyxiation. the amount of asphyxiation deaths associated with nitrogen isn't because nitrogen magically stops your lungs from getting oxygen, it's because when people want to asphyxiate themselves they stick their heads in bags of nitrogen (because it's painless, cheap, and your brain can't tell you're asphyxiating). i swear to god i was DMing this game one time and there was a part where there was a room with some compressed nitrogen tanks and this guy was like "open all the tanks so i choke and pass out" okay ass-for-brains, you open the valves on all the tanks and nothing happens because now 75% of the air you're breathing is nitrogen, instead of 74%. any of those other gases except oxygen would do just as much asphyxiation damage

Water elements and merfolk aquamancers do asphyxiation damage because they engulf you in water. These things would do asphyxiation damage because they engulf you in nitrogen.

Also, a 5% drop in oxygen concentrations will make you faint (and another 5% will kill). These nitrogen tanks could sure make the dude pass out depending on how much gas they had in them and how big/well-aerated the room was.
Last edited by archaeo on Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit, phrase removed

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 10:10

why do we have fungus but no gus
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 10:14

why do we have free derrick but no derrick
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 11:04

why do we have stones but no soup
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 11:20

why do we have maxwell but no hammer
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 11:30

We had the hammer once, but then They came and remove it because it was fun.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 12:21

Can we please get back OT here people? Where are the Mods anyways?

Lair needs lions. And giraffes, and troops of baboons, and I cant f-ing believe there are no hippopotami, considering they are number two on the list of most dangerous animals after mosquitos, not counting man, both of which can be found in Lair. Also we need to rename yaks to waterbuffalo because seriously, Yaks should only be found in Ice caves and stuff.

<A hell-giraffe slaps you with its long, burning neck. You are covered in liquid flames!>

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 12:33

daggaz wrote:<A damn giraffe slaps you with its long, damning neck. You are covered in liquid damnation!>

ftfy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 13:19

Only if the Giraffe tile is 3 times bigger than a Pan lord tile.
You shall never see my color again.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 15:47

So imho the reason why water can engulf and asphyxiate you is because it blocks all gasses from moving through it, so no oxygen can reach you (Technically I'm sure some gasses could dissolve and make it out the other side, but practically speaking this is pretty close to zero). If you flooded a room with excess nitrogen, the oxygen would still be freely circulating and able to reach your lungs. You'd end up getting less of it, so you'd have to breath more heavily, restrict activity, etc., depending on just how much oxygen is left in the resulting mix. If it was 100% nitrogen you'd die, certainly. I don't know what the minimum % oxygen humans need, but I'd think that's relatively well studied due to climbing mount everest - technically the top is called the death zone as while people have survived it without oxygen, the air is thin enough that there's a decent chance of not meeting your oxygen requirements. Climbing mountains doesn't count as a low energy activity, either.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Everest#Death_zone:
In May 2007, the Caudwell Xtreme Everest undertook a medical study of oxygen levels in human blood at extreme altitude. Over 200 volunteers climbed to Everest Base Camp where various medical tests were performed to examine blood oxygen levels. A small team also performed tests on the way to the summit.[117] Even at base camp, the low partial pressure of oxygen had direct effect on blood oxygen saturation levels. At sea level, blood oxygen saturation is generally 98–99%. At base camp, blood saturation fell to between 85 and 87%. Blood samples taken at the summit indicated very low oxygen levels in the blood. A side effect of low blood oxygen is a vastly increased breathing rate, often 80–90 breaths per minute as opposed to a more typical 20–30. Exhaustion can occur merely attempting to breathe.[118]

Most expeditions use oxygen masks and tanks above 8,000 m (26,000 ft).[128] Everest can be climbed without supplementary oxygen, but only by the most accomplished mountaineers and at increased risk. Humans do not think clearly with low oxygen, and the combination of extreme weather, low temperatures, and steep slopes often requires quick, accurate decisions. While about 95% of climbers who reach the summit use bottled oxygen in order to reach the top, about 5% of climbers have summitted Everest without supplemental oxygen. The death rate is double for those who attempt to reach the summit without supplemental oxygen.[129]

It's news to me that breathing nitrogen is a way people actually commit suicide though, never heard of that. It prevents your body from panicking and isn't painful? (Note: Tasonir does not endorse suicide, and recommends professional counselling)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 15:54

tasonir wrote:Tasonir does not endorse suicide

tasonir wrote:the Melee Naga Guide

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 16:23

thanks, sar

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 18:42

Google exit bag. And instead of extrapolating from everest incidents which carry a host of complicating factors, you can just google oxygen deprivation limits.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 18:48

Sar wrote:Hellfire has been just renamed to "damnation", so maybe hellions will be damn-lions too?

damnthelions

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 18:49

tasonir wrote:It's news to me that breathing nitrogen is a way people actually commit suicide though, never heard of that. It prevents your body from panicking and isn't painful? (Note: Tasonir does not endorse suicide, and recommends professional counselling)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlkxcC79LA8

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 18:51

Might I just say that death yak is a pretty goofy monster name for a monster near the top of the lair pyramid. I think they should be rhinos but lion would work.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 24th March 2016, 01:17

While we're on the topic of renaming things, call swamp worms RUS's.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th March 2016, 01:34

Death yaks should be removed, you can buff elephant damage if they're too weak.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 24th March 2016, 01:38

duvessa wrote:Death yaks should be removed, you can buff elephant damage if they're too weak.

I would say fair point; but there is a fair amount of practical difference there

Code:
[09:36.12] <Gretell> elephant (Y) | Spd: 10 | HD: 9 | HP: 55-82 | AC/EV: 8/2 | Dam: 20(trample), 5 | Res: magic(60), drown | XP: 482 | Sz: Giant | Int: animal.

[09:36.15] <Gretell> death yak (Y) | Spd: 10 | HD: 14 | HP: 62-89 | AC/EV: 9/5 | Dam: 30 | Res: magic(100) | Chunks: noxious | XP: 873 | Sz: Big | Int: animal.

Elephant is more like Trampling Pack Crocodile.

Death Yak is like Pack Komodo Dragon.

(Getting rid of Komodos and making Death Yaks occasionally spawn by themselves would be the easiest of all the melee-only lair creatures to cut).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 24th March 2016, 08:04

You guys. This thread is about adding lions.

There should be giant ant lions in lair.
And a new unique The Lion King.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 24th March 2016, 21:00

There were lions. But lion makes others dislike you, so the other animals ganged up and killed them all.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th March 2016, 21:13

Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner