what's good flavor?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 29th January 2016, 23:29

what's good flavor?

dcss has long had a policy of removing flavor that interferes with good gameplay. I agree with this policy. But the policy can also, perhaps inadvertently, lead to the assumption that the game's flavor is extraneous at best and harmful at worst. I disagree with that assumption. Likewise, there are very few discussions of flavor on these boards, beyond bikeshedding names or complaining about removals. So, I thought I'd ask some broad questions to start a different kind of conversation about flavor: what is good flavor? what are some examples of it, in dcss or other roguelikes? how can flavor compliment good game design? what are ways dcss could improve its flavor?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th January 2016, 23:44

Re: what's good flavor?

I like the pizza flavours and I liked the cheese flavours as well and beef jerkies should have been replaced with cheese.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 2
dracos369, Sar

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 30th January 2016, 00:14

These are tough questions. Some flavour I really hated to see go: Nemelex Xobeh's portable altar. Berserker's starting spears. Hydra form head mechanic culled. Toadstool spawning on random corpses. In all of these cases, there were good gameplay reasons for it; I just think they've been good flavour. Edit: also hammers for Yiuf's vault (I made the multi hammer version of Yiuf's home, so I was sad when hammers were removed).

Flavour that is in the game currently and that I really like (this is an extremely subjective notion but I think you are aware of that): among the gods, I think that Ashenzari, Beogh, Cheibriados, Gozag, Jiyva, Lugonu, Qazlal, Ru, Trog have cool flavour (one measure for this is that I can tell about them to non-Crawling friends in exciting ways -- these are gods with a storyline that's captured in gameplay rather than text descriptions). I think a number of uniques exude flavour: Sigmund, Pikel, Grinder, Dowan & Duvessa, Natasha and many more. Some artefacts have cool flavour: Gong, Maxwell's, Singing Sword (on this one I am very biased).

To me, the best flavour is when gameplay is used to convey something about the game. Some vaults are too talkative for my taste, I am not a big fan of Pan disco hall, for example. But many vaults suit me well, like many of the overflow altars (the Trog book burning one, Yredelmnul sacrifice, Xom sheep on fire and others).
I believe that adding shops to Orc end and making Slime walls acidic improved the flavour of these branches.

Then there's also in-game humour, which is fighting an uphill battle sometimes, too. I totally embrace cursed toes and death cobs and I mourned triple swords.
Last edited by dpeg on Saturday, 30th January 2016, 04:32, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
all before, Sprucery

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 30th January 2016, 01:02

I had to get my cursed toe operated on the other day.

It was torment.

No fungus though.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 30th January 2016, 18:09

I think we should replace Bardiches with Triple Tridents.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
majesstic

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 30th January 2016, 18:58

Vinestalkers are awesome flavor, I sort of wish there were enemy vinestalkers just for that reason.

I mostly don't like Zot's flavor. I get that it's hard, since it's supposed to be weird so it can't tie into standard tropes like the other branches, but there you are.

Harold's death is a bit grimdark for my taste.

For this message the author phloomp has received thanks:
all before

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 30th January 2016, 20:31

I'd like it if more Zot monsters were reflavored to be more random/weird. A lot of the monsters there feel NetHackesque: death cobs, electric golems, curse toes, etc. But that gets overpowered by the dragon theme. If draconian packs were reflavored to mad scientists, imo that would fit the theme better.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 30th January 2016, 21:08

umami
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

For this message the author kuniqs has received thanks: 2
majesstic, Wahaha

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner