[PROPOSAL] Cure Mutation <Transmutation> Spell

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 22nd December 2015, 23:09

[PROPOSAL] Cure Mutation <Transmutation> Spell

If there's Cure Poison spell, why not add an option to remove, by lvl5 spell one random gnasty bad mutation after time... Which could be <X turns - Spell Power>. You could not use it agin before currently treated mutation is not cured.

Also, I think of mutations that they do not grow instantly, but after few turns. So the player could have an option to cure themself BEFORE the stange tentacle, scales, or horns grows up.

By the way - why there are no tentacle mutation? It is the first thing that I can magine that could grow up after high doses of contamination.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd December 2015, 23:27

Re: [PROPOSAL] Cure Mutation <Transmutation> Spell

Enish wrote:If there's Cure Poison spell, why not add an option to remove, by lvl5 spell one random gnasty bad mutation after time...

Because that would encourage everyone to play mutation roulette and make you want to develop a nice set of good mutations, which is not a design goal of Crawl.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 22nd December 2015, 23:29

It could remove bad mutation in 2/3 times.
Or the time could be set to 1000+ turns.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 22nd December 2015, 23:33

Curing mutations is a strategic element of the game. Spells are a tactical element of the game. Due to MP regen, making spells a strategic element of the game will never happen since it effectively makes those spells cost 0 MP. That's why the Divinations school was removed, because all of its major spells (magic mapping, identify, detect monsters) were strategic.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd December 2015, 23:34

Enish wrote:It could remove bad mutation in 2/3 times.
Or the time could be set to 1000+ turns.

I don't think that would fix it.

(There was also a spell Alter Self, removed in 0.9 for a reason.)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 22nd December 2015, 23:42

Maybe potion of curing could resolve that problem before mutation develops with a small chance? Like 1/4 giving a bit of hope after bieng mutated by that Mind Layer coming over a corner. Still, that last resort potion spamming could be done only after a fight is resolved or teleing away, because the monster could mutate you again during the desperate quaffing. Also, I would like to see normal moonsters could not mutate you further if mutation developing process is active. Also, a tentacle. Tentacle as a mutation is a thing that I know you also want to see.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 22nd December 2015, 23:44

Or you could just make potions of CureMut more common, which is a lot more simple.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 22nd December 2015, 23:51

But less dramatic, and making the strategic aspect of mutations less visible, on the other hand. Sacrificing 3-4 potions of curing could be a trade-off to think about - what will give you better results in the future.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 23rd December 2015, 00:03

Best solution to me still seems to make malmut closer to 50/50 let's say 60/40 bad/good[remove bad] it would be closer to design goals (make stuff random). Not that it matters if you don't care about speedrunning and i figure most speedrunners don't care much about rmut, then infinite !curemut can be found in ziggurats or you could grind abyss/pan for necromut.
Edit: also by the time mutations matter you're either finishing the game or could always switch to zin/jiva not like god wrath is really an issue by that time.
aka: Innameasone and electricaloddity

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd December 2015, 00:13

Curing mutations through a spell is not a good idea: 1. Bad mutations are supposed to be a liability you have to deal with and work around (and sometimes they are a punishment, e.g. as miscasts). 2. Note how rare cure mutation, the potion, is. Note how often spells are cast. 3. In particular, restricting Cure Mutation, the spell, to use a long timer makes it is very much a non-spell. 4. What others said about grinding mutations. 5. Check the Alter Self spell, removed a long time ago.

I interpret the OP to suggest that the Cure Poison spell should be removed.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 23rd December 2015, 00:32

If that's the larger view - I really think Cure Poison should be removed then.

BUT I still consider adding a transmutation spell which can act as <b>rMut</b>. Also, the beast forms could be mutated, but the mutations would disappear after coming back to casters' natural form.
If you specialize in this area - transMUTATION, in my opinion, the character should have options to deal with them better than any random Cure Mutation quaffer.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 23rd December 2015, 00:39

If you want a spell to prevent mutation, try Summon Butterflies.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 23rd December 2015, 00:40

Thank you, Sir.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 24th December 2015, 02:59

dpeg wrote:I interpret the OP to suggest that the Cure Poison spell should be removed.

Cure Poison exists more as a way for Venom Mages to manage Toxic Radiance than as a spell to handle poison from enemies. Removing the spell would need to be accompanied with a rework (or full removal) of its drawback.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th December 2015, 03:43

Aethrus wrote:Removing the spell would need to be accompanied with a rework (or full removal) of its drawback.

I'd be totally content with the loss of cure poison if toxic radiance was made to not poison the player. Both of those ideas are good on their own anyway.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, RBrandon, Tiktacy, wheals

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner