Species Proposal: Death Cob

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 18:49

A sentient corn cultivar that feeds on the hunger of other creatures, Death Cobs have been cursed to wander the dungeon eternally, in order to deplete its excessive supply of food.

Species Attributes

Size: Spriggan
HP: -30% MP: 0
Base Stats: Str 4, Dex 10, Int 8
Stat Increase: +1 Str/Dex/Int (equal chance) every three levels
Magic Resistance: +3/level

Spriggan Size, with the armor and weapon restrictions associated with that.
Fast 3
Fast Metabolism 3
Fangs 1
Activated Abilities:
Blink (like the mutation)
Shaft Self

Death Cobs cannot eat comestible items. Instead, they gain satiation by biting corpse-dropping enemies. Any time they bite a non-starving enemy there is a [maybe about 50%; possibly a smaller chance that would rise with # of times bitten] chance that that enemy becomes starving--starving enemies are slowed and have a chance to miscast spells. After a certain number of turns, a starving enemy will die, although you do not get experience when an enemy dies in this way. I imagine that each time a bite gave an enemy the starving status, you would regain satiation equal to 1d3 chunks or something (this number, as well as metabolism speed, could easily be tweaked). Stabs automatically inflict starving/restore satiation. Cobs will continue to replenish satiation in this way until they are engorged.

This proposal is more or less a joke--no one really wants more mechanics related to hunger in the game. However, this species would not have to deal with typical hunger-related tedium (although other hunger-related behaviors might emerge, such as leaving an easily accessible level uncleared for feeding purposes). Ideally, a Death Cob game would feel like a 'race to the orb'--you couldn't durdle around on a mostly-cleared level, looking for items and the last couple monsters. Spells would be costly, but they increase your combat survivability, and could therefore be worthwhile. Basically, this species would play like spriggans do, but with an incentive to enter combat, rather than to avoid it. The extended end-game would probably be impossible, but I am ok with that.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 19:01

Re: Species Proposal: Death Cob

amaril wrote:Activated Abilities:
Blink (like the mutation)
Shaft Self

these should be given to the monster version

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 22:01

amaril wrote:Any time they bite a non-starving enemy there is a [maybe about 50%; possibly a smaller chance that would rise with # of times bitten] chance that that enemy becomes starving--starving enemies are slowed and have a chance to miscast spells. After a certain number of turns, a starving enemy will die, although you do not get experience when an enemy dies in this way. I imagine that each time a bite gave an enemy the starving status, you would regain satiation equal to 1d3 chunks or something (this number, as well as metabolism speed, could easily be tweaked).

I'm pretty sure monsters don't have any hunger status at all -- at least this is how I've interpreted the fact that summons do ok against new death cobs and never seem to starve in the middle of a fight with them -- so amusingly, adding this would actually be another buff to death cob monsters.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 22:08

Yeah, more mechanics that break auto-explore! Fast piety decay gods are alreay bad enough...

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks:
duvessa

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 23:57

I know when I play an orc worshipping Beogh, my followers never seem to get hungry. I always assumed I was just feeding them on 5 loaves and 2 fishes.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th November 2015, 06:48

Not only do monsters not have hunger, they don't even have mana. What if I told you mobs were almost entirely fake? :)

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 19th November 2015, 07:06

You're, like, really fast and also you can blink around and stuff, and also you have undead resistances.

You have a super fast irresistable bite that kills everything that's not undead in 5 hits or fewer.

You take lots of extra damage from herbivores because you are corn.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 21st November 2015, 01:45

new species: cow

does extra damage to death cobs. other than that, is the same as a mountain dwarf except immune to being removed from the game

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 21st November 2015, 03:10

amaril wrote:Activated Abilities:
Shat Self

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 21st November 2015, 07:37

New monster: Life cob
Each hit feeds you by 1/4 of your satiation. If you hit maximum satiation, you choke on your food and die.

For this message the author Croases has received thanks: 2
Sar, Sprucery

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner