Crawl Anonymous.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 12:38

Crawl Anonymous.

How often do you play? Does it sometimes take over other 'more important' duties? Do you often get angry at yourself for spending your afternoon playing 15 different OcBe on the new version of trunk, and rationalize it by saying 'oh well it's the new trunk I just had to play it' even though the only updates were white space fixes and something to do with numbers that no one really understands. Do you sometimes call your significant other Sigmund?

But really, how often do you play per week?
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 14:47

Re: Crawl Anonymous.

You don't play Crawl. Crawl plays you.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 14:48

Except in Soviet Russia, where, oddly enough, you play Crawl...
The Ed draws near! What dost thou deaux?

For this message the author ekolis has received thanks: 4
christhawk, Confidence Interval, dolphin, Grimm

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 14:59

You don't, because there was no Crawl in Soviet Russia.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

For this message the author MyOtheHedgeFox has received thanks:
Grimm

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 18:57

I play most days. I sometimes suppose that if I didn't have a full-time job and young children I would be able to play a lot more and would've ascended several times by now.

Although this is probably not true. I would probably just have failed to ascend on even more occasions.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 19:06

I play at least two good games (as in, I don't die on D3) twice a day, sometimes a lot more if I have time. However, around early afternoon I really lose interest, which I suddenly regain at about 9 at night. However, I'm not in fulltime work at the moment, so it's a lot easier. Last year I went a whole month without playing a single game!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 23:15

I used to binge - twenty or thirty (very short) games in a row, but I found I would get confused as to which game I was playing - did I do Lair already? Do I have a god yet? - and my later games got ever shorter. So now I just play a few games at a time, with usually a couple of days in between. Helps me care for my character more, and therefore survive longer.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 23:31

I used to binge as well, I found that I would also get worse and worse as time went on, and got to a point where I started 'scumming' in a way, where I would just keep trying the same combo again and again hoping for a blessing from RNG.

I've stopped doing that now, as I never got any wins doing that, and I've already cranked up 3 from concentrating a lot harder on keeping stuff alive. I think that's where crawl's true nature shines, that if you try hard enough and think carefully enough you can usually get out of most situations.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th July 2011, 01:57

True. There's also the factor of knowing your gear. Bingeing made me lose track of what stuff I had, leading to the inevitable YASDs through not putting that rElec on or what have you. Staying with one character and getting very familiar with his loadout is an ingredient of success.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 14th July 2011, 11:44

Agreed, I think the worst thing for me is that I'll think that I have a large stock of something important in my stash, like remove curse scrolls or enchant armour, run all the way back up and then remember that that was my last char.
I have a friend who plays each game over a few weeks, I don't think I could do that, if I forget what I'm supposed to be doing/what I have I YASD instantly.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 14th July 2011, 12:22

I play each game over a period of weeks too, mostly, because I just don't get much time to play Crawl except in little half-hour chunks when in transit.

I generally have a few on the go at any one time, though. I have an XL27 SENe who's been working his way through Zot for over a month already, just because the motivation isn't quite there...
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 14th July 2011, 16:48

I'd play no more games on at once than there are custom paperdoll slots, since if I survive to Temple with a character I'll make them up an outfit to match. :shock:

Normally, its only about 40 mins a day during my lunchbreak, assuming there is no anime that urgently needs watching during that time :) . Sometimes I'll spend an evening playing if theres nothing more pressing, but not often. I won't switch between chars every session, but'll have a longish run with one and then when I want a different means of play, switch over.

Hence, it'll probably be awhile before I ascend anyone for the first time, though I've got several characters with runes now.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

For this message the author eharper256 has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 15th July 2011, 22:03

I use to play in last hour before going to bed, with notorious consequences in my play and constant no-success. If I was more awake I would avoid some mistakes
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 16th July 2011, 08:39

Erm, playing Crawl is better than watching another Transformers movie.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 16th July 2011, 09:41

Dude, being at ground zero during a nuclear holocaust is better than watching another Transformers movie.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 16th July 2011, 12:24

No! You get to live after a Transformers movie! And you even have a chance to forget the unpleasant experience!

For this message the author MyOtheHedgeFox has received thanks:
dolphin

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 16th July 2011, 14:27

Oh man, I just watched the Transformers movie.

I need to play Crawl until I don't feel dirty anymore ;)

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 16th July 2011, 14:29

As a Troll Chaos Knight.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner