too many spells

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 03:54

too many spells

There are too many spells in Crawl that are worthless, which is confusing new players. I mean, there are so many options, but a few are so obviously better that you should just always use those ones all the time. Some of the other spells encourage playing incredibly tediously, some have effects that are way worse than just hitting the monster with a melee weapon/throwing weapon/wand zap, and that's not even getting into the fact that no player should ever be using a spell over Level 7 because they actively hinder your ability to win. Therefore, spellcasting should just be cut down to a single spellbook with the only good spells, then cut out all the spell schools and leave Spellcasting as the only way to reduce the miscast. Lastly, get rid of all the spellcasting backgrounds because having all the spells at once is too powerful, and we don't want to encourage anybody to get through the game with only casting spells and nothing else.

For this message the author Floodkiller has received thanks: 2
duvessa, KittenInMyCerealz

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 04:01

Re: too many spells

Your premises are wrong and you've been listening to the wrong people.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks: 2
Sandman25, Wahaha

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 04:11

I'd like to see the list of spell that are actually good before we decide to put them all in one spellbook. I mean, maybe we have enough for a few spellbooks and hence a few backgrounds?! And don't worry about encouraging people to only cast spells, since that's not ideal anyhow. Unless you mean that for sake of clarity we should remove anything that's not the absolute ideal thing to use, in which case we could make there be only one melee school and one ranged school and maybe even just remove melee since ranged is better?!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 04:29

Floodkiller wrote:we don't want to encourage anybody to get through the game with only casting spells and nothing else.

I "love" it when players try to limit other players. If you don't want to play "only casting spells and nothing else", don't do it. I am sure there are players who enjoy it. What would you feel if I suggested to remove Trog because you are not casting spells?

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
Berder

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 05:12

Sandman25 wrote:What would you feel if I suggested to remove Trog

Extreme distress.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, TeshiAlair

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 06:41

sometimes I get the feeling that someone could post on this forum that they are a unicorn with 5 butts in real life, and several people would still believe they're serious

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 5
dowan, Floodkiller, KittenInMyCerealz, nago, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 06:42

duvessa wrote:sometimes I get the feeling that someone could post on this forum that they are a unicorn with 5 butts in real life, and several people would still believe they're serious

Shhhhh!!! we can't let my secret get out!
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 07:53

OP was obviously sarcastic but I know that minmay thanked their post unironically

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 08:23

That's the deal with CYC: can't post serious but not GDD-worthy posts (they're treated as jokes), can't post jokes (they're treated as serious suggestions). Then the serious ideas get thanked ironically and the jokes unironically.

Not that it matters.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 2
bel, wheals

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 19:44

Im confused.
You shall never see my color again.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 19:47

dynast wrote:Im confused.

The same here. It looks like some people are social vampires and feel better after confusing readers ("Look, they didn't realize I was joking, how stupid they are, haha"). It makes me sick. If you are so smart, can't you find a better application of your skills than making fun of "stupid readers"?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 19:49

Sandman25 wrote:If you are so smart, can't you find a better application of your skills than making fun of "stupid readers"?

like what, playing an ASCII video game? lol

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 19:54

Sar wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:If you are so smart, can't you find a better application of your skills than making fun of "stupid readers"?

like what, playing an ASCII video game? lol

What makes you think I am suggesting it? I meant that bad smart people have fun of other smart people, not of stupid ones, it's more pleasure this way ;)
Be more creative in your evilness ;)

Spoiler: show
It's cool when you have an excuse of being non-native English speaker, you can claim that you are smart reader, with just bad English to recognize sarcasm etc. ;)

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
Sar

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 20:10

too many remove

For this message the author onget has received thanks:
Berder

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner