Switch spell levels between Dragon and Statue Form

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 20:44

Re: Switch spell levels between Dragon and Statue Form

I agree statue form is the stronger spell but I think the solution is to buff dragon form. Level 7 earth/tmut would barely ever be worth the xp.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 20:55

dynast wrote:
Sar wrote: but failed to mention, you know, the most important thing, namely damage.

Someone did.

Whatever ev you get on dragon form you will have more or the same on statue form, and statue form gets more ac than dragon form, i dont even know why i bothered to try and use numbers since they dont matter in this case.

My whole point is that players who think dragon form is overall better than statue form havent played enough transmuters, or are handcapping themselves for the sake of roleplaying as a fearsome dragon by training more than a spell is worth and worse than another spell that can share the same book. I also believe that statue form is way more useful than just for punching that dragon form is. Because of that i think their spell levels should be switched.

The only scenario i can see dragon form being more useful than statue form is when dealing with fire sources or spellcasters with LRD.

Is winning every single currently available Tm + one experimental enough Tms.

Statue form is basically chei (and no doubt combination of the two), it mostly exists to provide amusement and derogatory snorts.

For this message the author kvaak has received thanks: 3
gammafunk, nago, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 21:03

well you almost never went into postend and SF obviously shines there

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 21:05

i know that whenever i do extended, my #1 priority is making myself unable to run away from things. thats why chei is the best god for extended

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 21:18

duvessa wrote:i know that whenever i do extended, my #1 priority is making myself unable to run away from things. thats why chei is the best god for extended

Killing things slower rather than faster is also a priority which is why you want statueform instead of hasted DF or BH.

Allowing dodging in statue form was a nice touch but since the devteam is intent on nerfing casters they should probably make DF completely useless by not allowing it to outdamage statue form per hit in addition to being faster. I'd recommend buffing statue form's damage instead to make it very slightly less hilariously bad but clearly that would be against the current design philosophy.

Oh, and just in case someone wants a less bad version of dragon form try playing VSTm since its dragon form is currently bugged.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 21:28

kvaak wrote:Is winning every single currently available Tm + one experimental enough Tms.

Statue form is basically chei (and no doubt combination of the two), it mostly exists to provide amusement and derogatory snorts.

You want what? a medal? you can win every tm, but can you get the highscore on all of them?

Heck im currently doing that and even if i finished stealing all the --Tm highscores my arguments would still be invalid.

So long people understand what i think and what my position is on determined topic thats good enough for me.
You shall never see my color again.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 21:47

dynast wrote:You want what? a medal? you can win every tm, but can you get the highscore on all of them?

Heck im currently doing that and even if i finished stealing all the --Tm highscores my arguments would still be invalid.

So long people understand what i think and what my position is on determined topic thats good enough for me.

I merely desire to fulfill your every whim, you asked for experience and here I am to provide it! Sadly I see it was not good enough despite my best efforts and thus I must conclude I've failed in my task. How very disappointing. :(

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 21:47

holy crap DF deals almost twice the damage of SF

b-but you get to keep shields I guess!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 21:50

Im taking a closer look to all of these Tm runs and so far most of them are blade hands of oka, not even one dragon or statue form cast, so what does this bring to this topic?
You shall never see my color again.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 21:54

It's hilarious to see excellent players arguing... DF is better when you need more offense and SF is better when you need more defense. And yes, it's usually obvious what you want more in situation at hand.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
radinms

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 21:57

dynast wrote:Im taking a closer look to all of these Tm runs and so far most of them are blade hands of oka, not even one dragon or statue form cast, so what does this bring to this topic?

People keep asking the same question every time I point out necromut is bad and they see I've only learned it once.

I always thought Tm had a weak start and thus did everything to make it easier. It is rather audacious of me to not artificially tune the difficulty up after getting out of the hell that is pre-lair.

Sandman25 wrote:It's hilarious to see excellent players arguing... DF is better when you need more offense and SF is better when you need more defense. And yes, it's usually obvious what you want more in situation at hand.

If I recall there also used to be this ex-dev who had the habit of pointing out dead things can't kill you...? Or something along those lines. Probably unimportant, I doubt anyone even knows this guy. I don't think he was very good at crawl anyway!

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 22:11

I don't know what parameters were used in that fsim, though it seems ok enough to me, based on some testing. However, the defence avEffDam matters as well, as I said elsewhere. In my testing DgTm with a vault guard, tentacled monstrosity and golden dragon with character XL 22, UC 21, fight/dodging 15, and 24 dex. No armour except a robe (which is melded in both cases), so this understates Statue Form defences.

For dragon form vs statue form (no buffs), Attack avEffDam was slightly less than doubled, but defence avEffDam increased more than 4 times.
With dragon form + ozo compared to Statue form + stoneskin, defence avEffDam increased roughly 2.5-3 times.

The ratio of attack/defence avEffDam is what matters in general (though there are all kinds of caveats: spells, monster abilities etc.) This is why I said, Statue Form is generally very good because you can tab most monsters, but situationally, dragon form is good.

Spoiler: show
(vault guard) You turn into a living statue of rough stone.
_Your +0 robe melds into your body.
AvHitDam | MaxDam | Accuracy | AvDam | AvTime | AvSpeed | AvEffDam
Attacking: 34.3 | 115 | 80% | 27.4 | 92 | 1.09 | 29.8
Defending: 3.4 | 20 | 42% | 1.4 | 100 | 1.00 | 1.4

You turn into a fearsome dragon! Your +0 robe melds into your body.
Attacking: 45.4 | 127 | 76% | 34.6 | 61 | 1.64 | 56.8
Defending: 9.9 | 30 | 61% | 6.1 | 100 | 1.00 | 6.1

For this message the author bel has received thanks: 3
Berder, dynast, radinms

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 23:26

If you add in phase shift (and 8-10 transloc) for this same character under both forms, you're not going to get 2.5-3 times more defense aveeffdam with dragon form compared to statue but more like 2, and in this case the ratio for attack/defense is actually favorable to dragon form. Not to mention that you have significantly more HP in dragon form and your other actions in the form aren't slow. That ratio will become more favorable for statue if you do add an enchanted hat + cloak, but again basically all the species that can wear both should be using bladehands in the first place.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 23:57

kvaak wrote:If I recall there also used to be this ex-dev who had the habit of pointing out dead things can't kill you...? Or something along those lines. Probably unimportant, I doubt anyone even knows this guy. I don't think he was very good at crawl anyway!

I don't understand how your reply is related to my post so please let me explain what I found hilarious.
One person says something like "those who like DF haven't played Tm enough".
Another person replies with something like "I have won all species as Tm and even hold the highest score for GrTm and I like DF".
The first person replies with something like "So what? I have the highest scores for more species (SpTm, TeTm and VpTm), you like DF because you haven't played Tm enough"
:)

radinms

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 00:19

those who like crawl haven't played it enough

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 6
all before, Arrhythmia, kvaak, nago, Sandman25, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 00:21

I still kind of like it. In theory. I mean I've probably gotten like a month of gameplay out of it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 00:34

those who like tavern have already read too much of it and cannot be saved

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
all before, Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 01:14

duvessa wrote:those who like tavern

I doubt such exist. Different posters dislike different things about tavern though.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 02:21

gammafunk wrote:If you add in phase shift (and 8-10 transloc) for this same character under both forms, you're not going to get 2.5-3 times more defense aveeffdam with dragon form compared to statue but more like 2, and in this case the ratio for attack/defense is actually favorable to dragon form. Not to mention that you have significantly more HP in dragon form and your other actions in the form aren't slow. That ratio will become more favorable for statue if you do add an enchanted hat + cloak, but again basically all the species that can wear both should be using bladehands in the first place.

Ok, let's add +2 helmet, +2 cloak and phase shift (tloc 8) testing vs vault guard. This still understates SF defences because no shield.

Blade hands + ozo vs. Statue form + stoneskin: BH is 33% more attacking avEffDam, while increase in avEffDam defence is more than 300%.
Dragon form + ozo vs statue form + stoneskin: DF is 100% more attack avEffDam, while increase in avEffDam defence is about 200%.

So, if we go by the ratio, statue form is still best, by a fairly long way. All previous caveats apply.

Your hands turn into razor-sharp scythe blades.
Attacking: 30.1 | 106 | 82% | 24.9 | 61 | 1.64 | 40.8
Defending: 10.3 | 32 | 26% | 2.8 | 100 | 1.00 | 2.8

_Your stone body feels more resilient.
Attacking: 35.3 | 126 | 77% | 27.4 | 92 | 1.09 | 29.8
Defending: 2.0 | 20 | 29% | 0.6 | 100 | 1.00 | 0.6

You turn into a fearsome dragon! Your +2 cloak melds into your body.
Your +2 helmet melds into your body.
Attacking: 47.0 | 139 | 76% | 35.7 | 61 | 1.64 | 58.5
Defending: 3.7 | 18 | 44% | 1.7 | 100 | 1.00 | 1.7
Last edited by bel on Monday, 10th August 2015, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
radinms

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 02:26

There is a serious error in the analysis.
When you deal damage 29 and get 0.5 it's much much worse than dealing damage 58 and getting 1.7. You should NOT divide attack by defense.
If you doubt, assume for a second that you deal 10 damage and get 0.1 damage. Is it really better than dealing 100 damage and getting 2 damage?

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 2
radinms, Sar

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 02:37

Sandman25 wrote:There is a serious error in the analysis.
When you deal damage 29 and get 0.5 it's much much worse than dealing damage 58 and getting 1.7. You should NOT divide attack by defense.
If you doubt, assume for a second that you deal 10 damage and get 0.1 damage. Is it really better than dealing 100 damage and getting 2 damage?

Ignoring AC, of course dealing 10 damage and taking 0.1 damage is better than dealing 100 damage and getting 2 damage. I don't know why that is even a question.

If you have some better way to interpret fsim data, you can tell us. AvEffDam Offence / AvEffDam Defence is the metric which makes the most sense, with all the caveats mentioned before.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 02:59

Your fsims setups are a bit bizarre, and I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. In the first fsims you do them without aux armour using with one important buff but then omit the other other important one that people in a no aux/body armour situation are going to really want. But you're using a species that could use full aux armour in statue and which could use aux armour AND body armour with blade hands (body armour being a lot better than ozo or stoneskin), so omitting auxes and omitting bladehands doesn't make much sense. Then in the next fsims, you add full aux armour and phase, so something at least more appropriate for statue form for the species you're using, yet to compare to blade hands you just use the AC buffs instead of what you would use, which is body armour.

For a Fe or Op, you're going to have no aux armour or just a hat, and whichever advanced form you choose you'll want both the AC and the EV buff. For these you'll find that dragon form either gives a favorable ratio (Fe) or a very similar one (Op), all while giving you better HP and not delaying movement or non-melee actions. I haven't run Dr, but I think dform and statue would be pretty similar with both aux armours in use. Your dform bonus is down from 16 to 10, but you get to keep your scales AC, and I don't think scales are retained for Dr in Statue. It's probably better to just use bladehands and ozo for Dr, but I like having GDR and more HP, and the ability to use wands is also nice.

For species that can wear body armour, bladehands with body armour and phase is just easily going to beat both advanced forms.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 03:12

Oops, I did indeed forget body armour. Ok, test with +6 mottled dragon armour and 12 armour skill and no ozo. Rest of the setup as before.

BH vs SF is 33% extra attack avEffDam, a bit more than 130% extra defence avEffDam.

Still, basically the same picture.

Your hands turn into razor-sharp scythe blades.
Attacking: 28.8 | 90 | 83% | 24.0 | 61 | 1.64 | 39.4
_Defending: 4.9 | 24 | 29% | 1.4 | 100 | 1.00 | 1.4

Your new body merges with your stone armour.
Attacking: 34.3 | 108 | 81% | 27.9 | 92 | 1.09 | 30.4
_Defending: 2.0 | 20 | 28% | 0.6 | 100 | 1.00 | 0.6

For OpTm 22 dex, +2 hat, charms/ice 8, 15 fighting/dodging, 21 UC. Buffs: phase shift, ozo, stoneskin.

DF vs SF, 80% more attack avEffDam, about the same extra defence avEffDam.

In this case DF is probably better, because of extra HP and no slowing.

_You turn into a fearsome dragon! Your +2 hat melds into your body.
Attacking: 38.8 | 105 | 71% | 27.6 | 61 | 1.63 | 45.2
Defending: 2.8 | 18 | 52% | 1.5 | 100 | 1.00 | 1.5

Your stone body feels more resilient.
Attacking: 31.1 | 86 | 76% | 23.8 | 92 | 1.09 | 25.9
Defending: 2.5 | 20 | 32% | 0.8 | 100 | 1.00 | 0.8

radinms

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 03:42

You forgot that bladehands can use boots. And while the defenses you get from MDA are really nice, if you care about this attack/defense ratio a lot (which you shouldn't over the slowness thing), you're going to use heavier armour. For me enchanted SwDA with 15 armour (and enchanted boots) already gives a more favorable ratio compared to statue.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 03:45

bel wrote:If you have some better way to interpret fsim data, you can tell us. AvEffDam Offence / AvEffDam Defence is the metric which makes the most sense, with all the caveats mentioned before.

You can ignore low damage which character receives. "Low" depends on attack. If you deal 59 damage per turn, you can ignore up to 10 damage I think since the battle will not last long. Also there is no point in comparing defense vs a monster who deals 6 damage per turn at most, you are extremely unlikely to die to it.

radinms

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 04:12

gammafunk wrote:You forgot that bladehands can use boots. And while the defenses you get from MDA are really nice, if you care about this attack/defense ratio a lot (which you shouldn't over the slowness thing), you're going to use heavier armour. For me enchanted SwDA with 15 armour (and enchanted boots) already gives a more favorable ratio compared to statue.

I still get a much better ratio for SF with +2 boots and +7 SwDA, but it's conceivable that for some setting you may be correct. My version of crawl is still some weeks behind trunk, so it's possible that's the problem.

In general, 15 armour and +7 SwDa and fully enchanted gear is not typical of my Tms in the mid-game, where I usually find statue form. Most of my Tm stay in robes or at most MDA, train fighting/dodging/UC primarily.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 04:46

Well, I wouldn't all an XL 22 character midgame, but rather late-game. The average XL for entering Depths is something like 20. Players in recent crawl at XL22 who are in blade hands without any special buff active (phase, ozo, stoneskin, agile; you have to filter carefully for the right status values) might look a bit like the following on average:

Code:
<Sequell> 166 milestones for * (recent tm xl=22 status~~blade_hands status!~'icy armour' status!~'stone skin' status!~agile status!~phasing): avg(ac)=26.56; avg(ev)=27.36

So people tend to have significantly more AC than a robe at XL22 in blade hands, about what I get for fully enchanted MDA with all aux slots enchanted. Probably a good portion of that is heavier armour like FDA/SwDA and not fully enchanted slots.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 13:42

I'm a bit surprised that wizmode doesn't show a greater difference in defenses between statue/dragon. In practice statue form seems to have much higher defenses. I wonder what that's due to. Perhaps it's because fewer people go for Ozo's with dragon form since it's a different school, whereas everybody gets stoneskin with statue form.

Ozo's with dragon form has the significant downside that if you get hit with fire it stops working.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is: statue form gets to use a shield. In addition to the SH value, this can be a shield of protection or resistance.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
radinms

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 13:53

I did mention the shields part briefly. For OpTm, testing with a shield would indeed make sense. Though, then, you should also use condensation shield with DF. I have posted too much in this thread already, so I will not test with this setup.

As to why SF seems to have higher defences in practice, I said this above: it is partly psychological. You just cast SF (often even stoneskin isn't necessary), and you can simply tab through most monsters. For DF, you have to cast a whole lot of buffs to get similar defences, and if you forget/don't have turns to do this, you can get hit quite hard.

radinms

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 13:59

yes, under statue form, you can use shield.
but you should worry about skill management. Lv6 Tmut/Earth + shield skill.... a lot of exp is needed.
and disable off-hand punch.

personally i don't feel shield is needed under statue form because stone skin+statue form is still enough defense.

For this message the author radinms has received thanks:
Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 14:10

bel wrote:For DF, you have to cast a whole lot of buffs to get similar defences, and if you forget/don't have turns to do this, you can get hit quite hard.

Or if you just get hit with fire your icy defenses go away.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 19:46

I tend to prefer statue form because, as players who are better than me often say, you don't have to actually kill anything. Ie, avoid uniques, run away, etc. Now running away might be harder slowed, but my point is that I'm primarily concerned with my player not dying, rather than killing any particular monster. Statue form makes it harder for me to die. As long as I'm not dead yet, I'll get around to killing the monsters eventually. I'm also fairly sloppy and tab a lot, so resistance to death is appreciated.

In other words, I pick forms for the defenses first over any other consideration. The times I really like blade hands are on characters who have defenses they'd lose in other forms, ie, nagas and gargoyles. It's perfectly fine to use blade hands on just about anything else, of course, but those are the ones where I'd prefer it.

And while not quite as high as dragon form, ultimately statue form's damage is very, very high.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
radinms

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 19:50

it maybe "very, very high" but it's the worst damage out of the 3 high level forms (BH, SF, DF)

(no idea about Hydra Form, it seems complicated)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 22:09

Sandman25 wrote:There is a serious error in the analysis.

This is somewhat too simplified from the "big picture" to be accurate. Let's stick with x2 multiples, as that seems about close. Would you rather deal 20 damage and take 1, or deal 40 damage and take 2 damage? AKA: First one = statue, second one = dragon form.

We're missing information. How many monsters are you fighting? Let's say you have 10 max hp, and no regeneration. If you're fighting 4 monsters in the open (you bad player) that have 20 hp, you'll live in the first one, and die after your second attack in the second. If you're fighting in a hallway and monsters have 40 hp, the second is much better as you'll one shot the monsters as they get into melee range, and depending on timing, may even never be hit.

What I find is that in general in the late game since I do NOT want to bother with luring - I'd rather take on monsters in packs and breeze through the late game - I need to lower the damage per hit that I take. This combines especially well with regeneration, which is something else people are overlooking. If you take half the damage, you double the value of your regeneration. With a regeneration item and the regen spell, you can often heal off nearly all the damage statue form takes from even what are generally dangerous monsters. As a very simple model, imagine you heal 2hp/turn and you have a choice between taking 3 damage per turn or 6 - the 3 damage per turn will take 4 times longer to kill you because of your healing. This is why I generally consider regen to be the strongest spell in the game (I'm also generally prohibited from learning haste, the other contender).

All the extra damage from dragon form is likely to be overkill. In fairness, a lot of the extra AC in statue form is also likely to be overkill, but again I'd personally rather overkill my defenses than my damage. Statue form (unarmed) damage is already roughly twice as high as "fighter with great mace/sword" damage tends to be*. You hit VERY HARD. I don't need to hit VERY EXTREMELY HARD as well, if it comes at the cost of actually having to pay attention to my life.

The reason the debate is silly is largely comes down to preferences about how you prefer to play, how much attention you like to spend, and both forms come online after you're over the hump anyways. But we all love pointless debates anyways :)

*sample fsim:
weapon: http://i.imgur.com/wKRr5rj.png
unarmed: http://i.imgur.com/nNuW21o.png

To be fair I think this was a +9 demon whip of freezing, so a great mace would be a bit higher, but unarmed is still higher damage than 2h's in statue form, counting the slow.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 2
Berder, radinms

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 23:39

tasonir
You basically could write "TL/DR I don't care about attack when I get 0.5 damage per turn". I agree, that's why I suggest to ignore low damage, your last example with 20-1 or 40-2 has the same problem IMHO, I definitely ignore 1-2 damage and don't care about such monsters in LoS when I have level 6-7 spells active :)
If it was something like 200-20 or 400-40, then yes, I could agree with you that defense can be more useful but such numbers are impossible in crawl as far as I know.

Edit. TL/DR Even 60-10 is better than 30-1.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 20:59

The numbers were more intended to be ratios than actual damage values, but I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference. My bigger point is that compared to a MiFi with some standard-but-good-enough-for-endgame weapon (say, +9 flaming great mace), unarmed statue will be dealing ~50% more damage, so I have trouble considering statue form to be low damage. It's certainly high investment, as you will need more than 18 M&F skill and also a level 6 spell, so you can't call it strictly better. But it certainly isn't low damage :)

I may be somewhat biased as it also grows more significantly under chei so my usual statue formers are outperforming maces by an even larger margin.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 22:38

Notice that I was comparing SF to DF only. It's like comparing Haste to Finesse, both are great but one is strictly better in different situations (which one depends on situation).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 14th August 2015, 08:48

Code:
O - the Catalogue of Transmutation and Earth.

A book of magic spells.

It is an ancient artefact.
You found it on level 13 of the Dungeon.

Spells                             Type                      Level
 a - Beastly Appendage            Transmutation                 1
 b - Stone Arrow                  Conjuration/Earth             3
 c - Petrify                      Transmutation/Earth           4
 d - Bolt of Magma                Conjuration/Fire/Earth        5
 e - Dragon Form                  Transmutation                 7
Select a spell to read its description, to memorize it or to forget it.

God damn it. And I'm a felid, I could really use ac. Dragon form it is...
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner