A couple of questions to the developement

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 15:37

A couple of questions to the developement

Hello everyone,

I am a long term player of DCSS, however I never really frequented this place. So first of all let me say hi to all of you in my very first post and I hope that I'll be able to become a member of the community in the long run.

Now what I'd like to ask here (sorry if this is explained somewhere however search on the forum only revealed several hundred topics on each and none had the name that would explain what I want to ask) is the following:

a) Why was the weight removed? I mean I guess it makes the game much easier and less micromanagement but it made the game hugely unrealistic. Was there some specific reason why trolls/ogres and halflings alike can now carry infinite amount of everything?

b) Same question but different topic - why remove corrosion, potion/scroll destruction, corpse rotting etc. All of these seem to make game much blander

c) Were ghosts removed? I can't encounter any in the game anymore (I play mostly on ASCII version on my smartphone)

d) If I wish to include any of the above in my game, is there some sort of mod that would allow it? Is this mod functional for the mobile port as well?

Again sorry if this is a bit newbie but I haven't really been keeping up with the forums up until now. I promise I will do a better job from now on. :)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 16:01

Re: A couple of questions to the developement

a) It was annoying and rarely mattered, since you can just drop stuff and pick it up later. Who cares if it's realistic? Why should halflings have a more annoying inventory management game than trolls?

b) They were annoying and rarely mattered, since you could avoid them if you did boring things like dropping items, wearing crappy randarts, attacking jellies with trash weapons, etc., and even if you didn't the losses were mostly negligible. Incidentally, corpses still rot away, they just don't turn into a useless "rotten corpse" for no reason first. And corrosion exists in a different form now, one which actually does something.

c) Ghosts still exist. Make sure Crawl has permission to create files; I dunno how to make that happen on a smartphone.

d) If you really hunger for the glory days of dropping individual chunks to make room for each new potion you find, you can always make a fork and code it yourself. Or ask someone to do so for you. Or play an old version.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 19:30

Itemdest was a badly realized mechanic, but the idea of different elemental attacks influencing your inventory in easily understandable ways was very good IMO. There were promises of looking into alternative ways of implementing it, like giving you a status effect that would give a chance of destroying scrolls/potions on use, but that never was tested. I guess developers don't think it's necessary or interesting.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 19:53

they influence your inventory by doing damage to you and making you use your inventory to not die

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 20:00

that's what literally every other type of damage does

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 20:20

yeah its great

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Arrhythmia

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 20:56

a: Why remove specie? remove species is completely stupid for the following reasons.
1: It does not do anything other than to compel it to play another species instead of species that have been deleted.
2: we will lose diversity.
3: Beginners will not be a reason to remove the spicies. 26 species and 25 species are the same for beginners. Many species by for the familiar player is always good.
4: If you dislike a particular species, but does not play it. Species that you have not selected does not have an influence on the game play.

I able to implement all of the playable species(Coded, not very buggy) we believe that absolutely good. It brings diversity to the gameplay absolutely.
b: devs is the most worst elements of the DCSS. Why it is not removed?

devs is stupid in the following points.
1: devs believe that it is necessary to remove the elements that every defect is present in the absolute.
And, always game balance is ignored.
Game balance is always the excuse of devs.
True reason is always "Delete because contrary to the perfectionism of the devs".

c: coding recommended or play the old version! It is stupid. Coding is very difficult, if you want to play the old version, will be forced to give up the new content.
And, it is contrary to crawl philosophy. (Gameplay supporting painless interface and newbie support)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 20:59

onget wrote:26 species and 25 species are the same for beginners

26 species and 40 species is not

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 21:04

onget wrote:b: devs is the most worst elements of the DCSS. Why it is not removed?

If you really mean that devs are the worst element of DCSS, then it means that you do not want the game to be developed further. Therefore, the current (or some past) version of the game is perfect for you. So there is an easy solution: play the version that you think is the best and never download updates. You won't probably be able to play online, but that's the price you have to pay.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 21:41

Sar wrote:
onget wrote:26 species and 25 species are the same for beginners

26 species and 40 species is not

26 species and 40 species are the same for beginners.
It is a difference of only 1.5 times, is like a two and three. Even in the case of 26 species and 100 species is the same for beginners. It always looks "lot of species".

Sprucery wrote:
onget wrote:b: devs is the most worst elements of the DCSS. Why it is not removed?

If you really mean that devs are the worst element of DCSS, then it means that you do not want the game to be developed further. Therefore, the current (or some past) version of the game is perfect for you. So there is an easy solution: play the version that you think is the best and never download updates. You won't probably be able to play online, but that's the price you have to pay.

It is a joke.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 22:06

onget wrote:Even in the case of 26 species and 100 species is the same for beginners. It always looks "lot of species".

When all of those species are actually diverse and offer something new, it's amazing. When some of them are actually diverse and some just shuffle aptitudes around for a bit, the new player is walking on a minefield where some species do offer a new experience (good) and some are "humans with slightly different apts" (less good).

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Rast

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 18th July 2015, 23:27

Sar wrote:
onget wrote:Even in the case of 26 species and 100 species is the same for beginners. It always looks "lot of species".

When all of those species are actually diverse and offer something new, it's amazing. When some of them are actually diverse and some just shuffle aptitudes around for a bit, the new player is walking on a minefield where some species do offer a new experience (good) and some are "humans with slightly different apts" (less good).

Not really, if they are named well.
If 5/100 species in the game would be named _____ Dwarf, you'd assume they would play very similar to each other with minor differences
i doubt anyone would accidentally choose one after playing one, if they wanted a new experience instead of a dwarf experience.
That said, adding subspecies is quite pointless and would clutter up the char creation.
I'd like Djinn's to come back though.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner