Handwear affects unarmed!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 21st November 2014, 14:47

Handwear affects unarmed!

Now glowes remove claws bonus damage. What if devs make burning|freezing glowes which adds corresponding element damage to unarmed, such as regular weapon brand does? Or something like spiked gauntlets wich adds base damage for unarmed.
Or even let fire|ice rings add fire|ice brand to unarmed without handwear. Will be useful for trolls vs hydras.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 21st November 2014, 15:19

Re: Handwear affects unarmed!

Please keep in mind this section of the "You Must Read This Before Posting in GDD" post:

To make a proposal, follow these steps:
  • Study the philosophy section of the manual carefully. All changes to the game must be in line with the stated game philosophy.
  • Study the Refused and Rejected Concepts List to ensure that your idea is not on it.
  • Search the forum, the dev wiki, and the change logs to ensure that your idea hasn't already been suggested or rejected elsewhere.
  • Think hard about what it is you are trying to achieve. Proposed changes must be solutions to actual problems in the game, or genuine improvements to gameplay. Find out if the problem you want to solve is an actual problem that other players experience and not just clustering illusion, a freak set of circumstances that happened to you, or your personal taste. Everyone has encountered a situation they don't like and immediately thought "This should be redesigned!" Ninety nine percent of the time they are wrong. Ask about this before making a design proposal.
  • Clearly state in your post the reasons for your proposal.

You haven't made it clear how your proposal would improve the game, and this topic has been discussed before in this forum.

Overall, unarmed combat is in a good place and has plenty of support, so there's no obvious need for more ways to power it up.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st November 2014, 15:44

Right now, UC is very distinct from weapons - you can't enchant your hands and the only way to brand them is a special school of magic (and being a Ds). Your proposal would make UC more similar to weapons for reasons I don't see, since power-wise UC is fine.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
duvessa

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 21st November 2014, 16:03

UC is powerful enough without buffs.

This would be a too long of a topic to discuss for me (considering my constant grammar errors here) :D

Just saying that unarmed characters can get their branded attacks from ranged schools (that are already overpowered) or from spells.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 21st November 2014, 16:39

Yes, thanks Lasty. I moved this to CYC.

Changing your form is already the way that UC characters access branded attacks, and this is one of the things that make unarmed combat unique compared to other weapons. That being said, some kind of unrandart that gave you an unarmed brand that is otherwise not available could conceivably work, since the point of unrandart items is to do offer something unusual that might push your character in a different direction.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 21st November 2014, 17:07

I've always thought it would be fun to have unrand gloves with elec brand, but suspect that they would rarely be used because by the time you found them the character would probably have developed too far in other directions to start training unarmed.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 21st November 2014, 19:18

Elec branded offhand punch would be pretty OP in any case.
Comborobin Admin

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 21st November 2014, 21:32

It would suck compared to transmutations, so I wouldn't count my money on that.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 21st November 2014, 22:38

Reminds me of the elemental claws for the monk characters from final fantasy.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 22nd November 2014, 00:51

Bloax wrote:It would suck compared to transmutations, so I wouldn't count my money on that.

hydra form is the best brand, uc needs nothing else

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner