Do you quit lucky characters?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 23:43

Do you quit lucky characters?

Inspired by jeanjacques' GhGl of Makhleb who cleared 5 zigs I started mine. First ring on D1 was one of protection from fire (so I had rF+, rC+, rPois+++, rN+++ and didn't care about rot from 2 necrophages), second ring was +5 protection , first quarterstaff was one of pain, first acquirement has just given +4 lajatang of drain with rF+ on Lair 1. Now it's boring :(

Edit. Killing 8-headed Hydra on Lair 1 does not feel right :(
Edit2. Lol, I have not noticed Lajatang adds hydra heads, it had 13-heads when died.
Last edited by Sandman25 on Thursday, 13th November 2014, 23:55, edited 3 times in total.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 23:44

Re: Do you quit lucky characters?

Crawl screws you over so many times, just see it as recompensation

For this message the author John Milferton has received thanks:
Lyrick

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 14th November 2014, 00:11

No. Do you cheat with unlucky ones?
If it seems too easy then go for high score, speedrun, vaultsless conduct, whatever. It won't be easier than you'll want it to be.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 14th November 2014, 00:23

This doesn't even sound incredibly lucky. That's a good weapon and +5 protection is a great ring, but the resistance ring is mostly irrelevant and if you're following Makhleb, it's not like killing hydras (or anything in lair) was going to be a problem anyway.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 14th November 2014, 00:34

stickyfingers wrote:No. Do you cheat with unlucky ones?
If it seems too easy then go for high score, speedrun, vaultsless conduct, whatever. It won't be easier than you'll want it to be.

Unlucky ones are more interesting by the way. Until they die of course.
What do you mean as vaultless conduct? It's easy to win without entering Vaults especially since my first (and only) amulet is one of corrosion.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 14th November 2014, 00:36

cerebovssquire wrote:This doesn't even sound incredibly lucky. That's a good weapon and +5 protection is a great ring, but the resistance ring is mostly irrelevant and if you're following Makhleb, it's not like killing hydras (or anything in lair) was going to be a problem anyway.

Well, I have not relied on Makhleb for killing Hydra before this game. I tried it in this game and I didn't like it (Invocations 9 at the moment). Minor destruction was too weak, major destruction didn't do much, minor servant was too weak and I am not sure I want to create a hostile major servant.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 14th November 2014, 00:54

What do you mean by major destruction not doing much? It's either the bolts, fireball, ranged sticky flame or orb of electricity. These are all as good, or better, than the conjurations you can expect as an average conjurer/elementalist by lair, which is a character type that doesn't have issues with killing hydras. 9 Invocations means success rate and power should have been fine. You probably won't 1- or 2-shot the hydra, but the piety cost is very low so just use the ability a few more times.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 14th November 2014, 01:14

I used Major Destruction 2 times and hydra was lightly wounded. I guess I was unlucky.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 16th November 2014, 23:05

Usually if I have some issue with hydras on a makhleb character I just summon 2 or 3 minor demons, and either bash away with whatever non bladed weapon I have handy, or blast away with spells/wands while my demons help out. For extra safety, add more demons.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner