Interesting...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 14th May 2011, 21:41

Interesting...

Does anyone else noticed this trend?
If someone saying "Hm, let's make X-monster more interesting" so the very next thing you see - X-monster became much harder to avoid/faster/stronger/gained some ability that can make your character consider near-death experience a tough break.
It applies to every other thing in the game, branches, species, backgrounds, gods. Every time I hear "Let's make it interesting" it sounds in my head "let's make it even more frikking harder" instead :)
It's like "fun" in Dwarf Fortress. Lava flooded your stockpile? Fun! Goblins stolen all you children and killed/maimed almost all adults? Fun. Whole fortress went into spiral tantrum? Fun!
Only in Crawl - it's "interesting"! It also applies to game situations. You come downstairs - immediately blinked by a Roxxane and standing next to hydra? Interesting! You open a door to a vault full of orc priests and orc Warlord behind you? Interesting! You got heavily mutated by a goblin with a polymorph wand on a D3? Interesting!

But I'm not complaining, no. I'm very much in love with Crawl, because, y'know, it's interesting ;)

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 15th May 2011, 02:16

Re: Interesting...

From some reading it's been a deliberate move to avoid a boring increase in difficulty strictly through more HP and damage. Like you said, the developers aspire to make things interesting. I'm enjoying it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th May 2011, 09:09

There's a wide range of skill among Crawl players and those at the top, those who regard the Vaults as an easy branch and can do the Abyss with one hand behind their back, quite naturally want to keep the game from getting dull. We at the bottom suffer because of this but that's the nature of the beast.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 15th May 2011, 12:39

Losing is interesting.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 15th May 2011, 15:10

Jeremiah wrote:Losing is interesting.

But surviving in the most improbable situations is even more... interesting.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 15th May 2011, 20:33

Always remember the ancient chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 15th May 2011, 22:22

tcjsavannah wrote:Always remember the ancient chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."

Chinese? Always though that it was Arabic.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 15th May 2011, 23:44

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_you_live_in_interesting_times

(again, take the Wiki with a pound of salt - but that explanation is the one I've always heard. Besides, "It's better to be a dog in a peaceful time than be a man in a chaotic period" just doesn't roll off the tongue as well.)
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

For this message the author tcjsavannah has received thanks:
Grimm

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner