What

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 02:20

What

Is this a vault, or is it just the map generation being silly? There was nothing but a single centaur warrior in there.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 02:30

Re: What

cool whip, tho.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 02:52

That one's been around a while. The monster inside was just there randomly; it's supposed to be a closet. That one's kind of oddly placed, but the vault as a concept worked better back when secret doors still existed.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 03:19

A vault, called firewood_loft; last I heard Eternally Glorious And Greatest Dev Ever (Especially Better Than Gammafunk) Sage was planning on cutting it.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Cheibrodos

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 05:45

Arrhythmia wrote:A vault, called firewood_loft; last I heard Eternally Glorious And Greatest Dev Ever (Especially Better Than Gammafunk) Sage was planning on cutting it.

Sorry son, the commits don't lie

Code:
$ git log --author="gammafunk" --oneline | wc -l
$ git log --author="Sage" --oneline | wc -l

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 05:47

It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean.

e: except, in this metaphor, "boat" is not your dick, it is how many commits you've made.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 05:52

Arrhythmia wrote:e: except, in this metaphor, "boat" is not your dick
you're not coding the right way then

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, gammafunk

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 05:53

When your "boat" is 40% the size of your competitor, that metaphor won't be very comforting.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 06:33

Yeah but whos dick is bigger
take it easy

For this message the author Cheibrodos has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Klown

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 06:36

KoboldLord wrote:That one's kind of oddly placed, but the vault as a concept worked better back when secret doors still existed.

Are you saying that this vault is an artifact left over from a previous iteration when T&D existed? Shouldn't this have been pruned out at the same time they removed secret doors?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 06:42

Cheibrodos wrote:Yeah but whos dick is bigger

Mine.
take it easy

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 06:53

Arrhythmia wrote:
Cheibrodos wrote:Yeah but whos dick is bigger

Mine.
Probably mine. I'm gay enough to know.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 07:37

Laraso wrote:
KoboldLord wrote:That one's kind of oddly placed, but the vault as a concept worked better back when secret doors still existed.

Are you saying that this vault is an artifact left over from a previous iteration when T&D existed? Shouldn't this have been pruned out at the same time they removed secret doors?

I don't think it ever had secret doors. It's just a downstair with some staffs, the secret is that you have to go back up a staircase you didn't come down on, which few people bother with.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 07:57

That vault is kind of stupid, but I liked it. Unlike the hidden temple, it doesn't contain anything important, and I liked stumbling upon it occasionally (especially on ascent).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 08:13

Sar wrote:That vault is kind of stupid, but I liked it. Unlike the hidden temple, it doesn't contain anything important, and I liked stumbling upon it occasionally (especially on ascent).

hidden temple was not one of my best efforts. whoops. at least it has glass now so you can see what's there.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 08:16

Yeah, no offense but hidden temple was sort of "check all stairs all the time unless you want to miss on that god you really wanted to follow". Which isn't even hard to do, really, but not very fun either (I have enough of that in Orc).

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 08:34

Sar wrote:Yeah, no offense but hidden temple was sort of "check all stairs all the time unless you want to miss on that god you really wanted to follow". Which isn't even hard to do, really, but not very fun either (I have enough of that in Orc).

Checking all stairs is a good idea anyway. It will be a big plus not to have unknown stairs when you ascend with the orb.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 08:41

Sar wrote:That vault is kind of stupid, but I liked it. Unlike the hidden temple, it doesn't contain anything important, and I liked stumbling upon it occasionally (especially on ascent).

Well, the three times I casually stumbled into it, there was the latajang of the order as well other good enchanted staves.
Sure those are goodies infinitely less important than temple, but still makes optimal to staves user (and other combo too) to double check every staircase which is a silly and spoilery thing to do
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
Sar

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 08:41

double post
Last edited by nago on Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 08:54

Yes, you're right I guess.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 09:14

I always thought of it as a broom closet.

I'm kind of surprised anyone doesn't check all the upstairs.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 09:56

I usually check all the downstairs when I'm exploring a level, but I often forget to check for upstairs (outside of Orcish Mines) if there was only 2 downstairs found on the level above.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 14:15

Checking downstairs is riskier, because you're going to an unexplored level. The first time you enter a new level you get to act first, but not on subsequent entrances, so you're costing yourself that benefit as well. It's much better to take unexplored up staircases after getting to the next level than to visit each down staircase before the following level is explored.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 14:43

I generally always take every unexplored staircase down, every floor, every time. The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages in my opinion. Not only do you get to know where every single staircase up is upon entering the level, it also often gives you an idea on what you should expect from the floor, and if you're worshiping Ashenzari at max peity then going down all the staircases before working on the next floor basically gives you free (albeit low quality) floor-wide magic mapping.

In addition to all of those things, you also get the added benefit of always knowing when there is a secret such as the vault shown in my screenshot or hidden temples. I haven't had not one single game of mine ended from this out of the hundreds upon hundreds of games I've played, so even if you don't get to act first upon subsequent entries it's still not really dangerous.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 15:15

Laraso wrote:I generally always take every unexplored staircase down, every floor, every time. The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages in my opinion.
Timed portals.

I stopped checking downstairs after walking into vaults in the earliest levels (when a Dungeon floor cleared means a real increase in power), and Timed portals convinced me that was a good idea.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 15:22

I think you're misunderstanding something, because I don't go down any stairs until after I've already cleared the floor I'm on. I don't just go down them as soon as I see them. If anything, checking all the staircases actually makes finding the portal easier, because occasionally they get placed next to a staircase.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 15:34

All portals are announced now anyway. I don't really like that change, but I don't know that there's any plan to revert it.

I have run into situations where I go down an unexplored stairwell and immediately get paralyzed or attacked by multiple monsters. I haven't died from it, but it's caused me enough trouble that I don't do that if I can help it. Using a stairwell exposes you to up to eight tiles of melee range that you can't see in advance. That's potentially worse than any other single move you can make in the game. Usually nothing happens, but the odds are certainly worse than they are with walking around normally.

Generally I only try a new stairwell if the risks involved are lower than the risks involved with continuing to explore around the first one. Sometimes this does happen, but it's usually because the risks around the first stairwell went significantly up. If the risks around the first stairwell are still low, the second stairwell is going to be a worse risk simply because I don't have any good data on it.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Patashu

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 23:12

KoboldLord wrote:All portals are announced now anyway. I don't really like that change, but I don't know that there's any plan to revert it.

I have run into situations where I go down an unexplored stairwell and immediately get paralyzed or attacked by multiple monsters. I haven't died from it, but it's caused me enough trouble that I don't do that if I can help it. Using a stairwell exposes you to up to eight tiles of melee range that you can't see in advance. That's potentially worse than any other single move you can make in the game. Usually nothing happens, but the odds are certainly worse than they are with walking around normally.

Generally I only try a new stairwell if the risks involved are lower than the risks involved with continuing to explore around the first one. Sometimes this does happen, but it's usually because the risks around the first stairwell went significantly up. If the risks around the first stairwell are still low, the second stairwell is going to be a worse risk simply because I don't have any good data on it.

Good analysis. I don't like going down a staircase that might place me in unexplored territory either unless I have to.

Btw, open question - what if the 'enemies don't have time to act' bonus from the first staircase you take on a new level applied every time you took a previously untaken staircase? Would this be good or bad for Crawl?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 7th May 2014, 01:19

Patashu wrote:what if the 'enemies don't have time to act' bonus from the first staircase you take on a new level applied every time you took a previously untaken staircase?

This might be abusable in cases where two staircases are placed within LOS of each other -- it is already possible to exploit that by drawing difficult enemies back and forth between the stairs, hitting them at range from one side then the other, and because of off-level time dilation they don't have a chance to heal up between your visits. Maybe if it only applied to enemies that haven't seen you before...?
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 7th May 2014, 01:38

tedric wrote:
Patashu wrote:what if the 'enemies don't have time to act' bonus from the first staircase you take on a new level applied every time you took a previously untaken staircase?

This might be abusable in cases where two staircases are placed within LOS of each other -- it is already possible to exploit that by drawing difficult enemies back and forth between the stairs, hitting them at range from one side then the other, and because of off-level time dilation they don't have a chance to heal up between your visits. Maybe if it only applied to enemies that haven't seen you before...?

It could be, but you'd only be able to abuse it once. (After that, it's not an unexplored staircase anymore.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 7th May 2014, 01:46

Sometimes there is a really good staff in one of those piles.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 7th May 2014, 03:06

KoboldLord wrote:I have run into situations where I go down an unexplored stairwell and immediately get paralyzed or attacked by multiple monsters. I haven't died from it, but it's caused me enough trouble that I don't do that if I can help it. Using a stairwell exposes you to up to eight tiles of melee range that you can't see in advance. That's potentially worse than any other single move you can make in the game. Usually nothing happens, but the odds are certainly worse than they are with walking around normally.

Well, the chances of being completely surrounded in all eight directions on the very first turn after going downstairs is so extremely miniscule that I don't think you should ever actually worry about it. I'm not saying this tactic doesn't have it's risks, but I generally do this with every staircase from D:1 to Z:5 and out of the hundreds of games I've played I still haven't encountered a situation which would cause me to change my mind about checking every staircase.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner