Hardcore optimal players, denounce yourselves !

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 21:21

Hardcore optimal players, denounce yourselves !

So I read a lot about strategies like scumming Lair as Mu for thousands of turns, or digging killholes every floor etc, and it seems like a strange way to have fun to me... So I wonder if/how many people actually do that !

Are there any on the forum ?
Who are they ?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 21:24

Re: Hardcore optimal players, denounce yourselves !

Yes, I use digging.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 21:26

I saw a rune once.

For this message the author Baconkid has received thanks: 4
Klown, TeshiAlair, The Mighty Nez, Tiktacy

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 21:30

duvessa wrote:Yes, I use digging.

To that extent ?

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 21:31

I play recklessly 90% of the time because it's more fun.
:cry:

For this message the author Klown has received thanks: 2
tasonir, XuaXua

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 21:35

I try my hardest to succeed at the things that I do. I don't understand why that is strange.

For this message the author TheDefiniteArticle has received thanks: 2
Laraso, Sandman25

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 21:57

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:I try my hardest to succeed at the things that I do. I don't understand why that is strange.

That is not what I find strange, but the fact that you are still having fun doing so if you use one of the mentionned strats or another of an equal level of tediousness.

But if you are, okay, I wouldn't have imagined, but I'm cool with that...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 22:03

Someone told me that comments like duvessa's and TheDefiniteArticle's are the #1 reason people quit crawl forever!

For this message the author Moose has received thanks:
Klown

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 22:24

Cynry wrote:So I read a lot about strategies like scumming Lair as Mu for thousands of turns, or digging killholes every floor etc

Look at this:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11272

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
Cynry

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 22:44

Moose wrote:Someone told me that comments like duvessa's and TheDefiniteArticle's are the #1 reason people quit crawl forever!

I would very much like to meet the person who quit crawl forever because duvessa uses digging.

EDIT--feature request: give Duvessa the dig spell in the hopes that this will cause duvessa to quit crawl forever

For this message the author TheDefiniteArticle has received thanks: 5
bcadren, Laraso, Sar, The Mighty Nez, XuaXua

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 23:28

Crawl is a game, and you are meant to have fun playing it. Different people find different things fun and like to enjoy the game in sometimes opposite ways. I can certainly appreciate that some people enjoy crawl as a puzzle, or as an optimization problem (usually optimizing chances of a win, but also often turn count or real time minutes to win). If you play the game in this way, why wouldn't you take advantage of the game however you can? That is part of the "optimal" solution, and much of the fun is in finding and succeeding with that solution. Sure, you can choose not to use the optimal strategy, but then much of the appeal is lost. What fun is it to optimize your play if you are just going to ignore it and do something else in the end?

I personally do not play this way but I can appreciate it. And crawl generally does a great job of facilitating fun, non-tedious play for "optimal" players without taking anything away from people who don't care at all about the best strategy. Sometimes eliminating tedious practices requires sacrificing something other players find fun and don't abuse anyways. In these cases just recognize that crawl's design philosophy prioritizes these non-tedious play highly enough to deem the sacrifice worth making.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 23:32

Klown wrote:I play recklessly 90% of the time because it's more fun.
:cry:

As much as I want to be an optimal player and walk away from every monster I encounter to take them in safe cleared corners, I doubt I ever will. I mean, I run when the situation is really bad, but I run into medium-bad fights head on, and probably always will.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 23:44

I'm so hardcore I'd rather starve to death pillardancing a Dire Elephant than use an escape item

Spoiler: show
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Wizzzargh/morgue-Wizzzargh-20140327-202758.txt
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

For this message the author wizzzargh has received thanks: 4
godzilla, tasonir, TeshiAlair, TheDefiniteArticle

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 00:04

Cynry wrote:That is not what I find strange, but the fact that you are still having fun doing so if you use one of the mentionned strats or another of an equal level of tediousness.

It's more about degrees. Doing anything less than my best is a total waste of time; I can't even imagine having fun that way. That means doing unpleasant things sometimes, and that's just the way it is.

If "Optimal strategy X is boring" was enough to stop me from having fun entirely, I would not even play Crawl due to the existence of item destruction. (please for the love of god remove item destruction how can anyone defend this mechanic)

For this message the author TheDefiniteArticle has received thanks:
Cynry

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 00:27

Item destruction is great! It lets you know when you should have gotten rid of all your Potions and Scrolls and be using wands only.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 02:23

Cynry wrote:So I read a lot about strategies like scumming Lair as Mu for thousands of turns, or digging killholes every floor etc, and it seems like a strange way to have fun to me... So I wonder if/how many people actually do that !

Who are they ?

You must be using a strange definition of optimal and I'm curious where you've "read a lot" about these "strategies".

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 02:36

moocowmoocow wrote:
Cynry wrote:So I read a lot about strategies like scumming Lair as Mu for thousands of turns, or digging killholes every floor etc, and it seems like a strange way to have fun to me... So I wonder if/how many people actually do that !

Who are they ?

You must be using a strange definition of optimal and I'm curious where you've "read a lot" about these "strategies".

Is this a sarcasm? Have you been keeping up with the Tavern lately?

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
moocowmoocow

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 02:38

pratamawirya wrote:
moocowmoocow wrote:

Who are they ?

Is this a sarcasm? Have you been keeping up with the Tavern lately?

My bad... sleep deprivation killing my sarcasm detector.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 02:52

One time, I remembered I had curare.

It was awesome
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks:
XuaXua

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 05:08

I don't dig a killhole every floor. That would be silly!

There are often simple corridors to use instead.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 12:06

I don't think I've ever dug a killhole once in my Crawl career. I should probably sometimes do it, though. Most likely, I'll forget to do it anyway.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 13:05

On characters I won, I usually settled into somewhat optimal play, meaning luring enemies away into cleared areas a few at a time. I'll also sometimes use an acquirement scroll for wands which are considered to be the optimal choice if you don't already have haste/healing/teleport, instead of the much more exciting options of weapons and armor. (Of course, most of the time I regret whichever choice I made anyway)

Most of the time I play rather mindlessly, only taking stock of the situation when it's too late.

So I wouldn't call myself hardcore, yet I recognize that the design goal of not allowing optimal play to require tedious behavior is a very smart design. I've walked away from a lot of games because I couldn't get myself not to do the tedious optimal thing, but that tedious thing killed the fun for me. However, playing the game disadvantaged by not doing that tedious thing makes me feel like I'm just making things harder on myself.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 16:06

I use digging/disintigration on certain final floors that can be kited easily, like orc:4, almost every time. If I don't have /dis, two diagonal digs works just as well. I'm surprised this is getting attention now, it has been a viable strategy for years
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Barkeep

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 18:39

I think you mean announce, not denounce.

I do play Crawl, but I wouldn't call myself "hardcore optimal." I mean I've appeared in a few amateur videos but feedback was mixed at best, so. :|

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner