Brainstorming: Feng Shui/direction-based god

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 10th March 2014, 07:11

Brainstorming: Feng Shui/direction-based god

I had an idea for a god based on the concept of certain directions being 'good'/'lucky' while others are 'bad'/'unlucky.' I want to make sure the idea is more fully fleshed out and actually any good before I make a proposal in GDD, since I've never done one before.

The basic is that the god shows its followers their 'good' and 'bad' directions. That is, one of the eight cardinal directions (N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW) from the character is marked as 'good' and the opposite direction is marked as 'bad'. The direction is random and either changes at intervals or is fixed for each floor (I haven't decided which implementation I like better). The character is rewarded for attacking or casting in their 'good' direction: attacks deal more damage, spells have increased spell power, and both get a boost to accuracy. Likewise, the character is better protected from their 'good' direction. Enemy attacks and spells coming from that direction are less accurate and deal less damage/are easier to resist. However, the character's attacks/spells are weakened when done in their 'bad' direction, and they're similarly more vulnerable to enemy attacks/spells from that direction. The bonuses scale with piety.

The god's granted abilities are based on positioning and taking advantage of your 'good' direction. The one's I've got right now are:

-An ability that randomly chooses a new 'good' direction (and corresponding bad direction) that's limited in use (so you can't just spam it until you get the exact direction you want)
-Swapping places with another creature, hostile or allied. A positioning ability and a way to deal with enemies attacking from your bad direction.
-An ability that lets you move faster in your good direction.
-Immaculate Compass: the god's strongest ability. For the duration, all 8 directions become your 'good' direction (i.e. you get the bonuses at all times), but the ability ends when you move out of the square you activated it in.

I'm not really sure how piety gain would work for the god. My current instinct is to gain piety for killing enemies while attacking from your good direction. Either that means you have to deal the finishing blow from the direction or if piety is based on % of your attacks that came from that duration. It's functional but I can't help feeling there's a better/more interesting mechanic, though.

The other problem is figuring out how the directions work for enemies who aren't directly along a line from you (for example, 1 square east, 2 squares north). My current thought is that the space between two directions (like N and NE in the previous example) count for either direction but give half the bonus/penalty.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 10th March 2014, 09:17

Re: Brainstorming: Feng Shui/direction-based god

This sounds like an absolute nightmare to play in exchange for minmaxing the hell out of the game. It's like the worst parts of Chei and Oku in a blender.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th March 2014, 17:39

Sewers Scotsman

Post Monday, 10th March 2014, 20:35

I remember teaching myself to box the compass as a kid. Too much C S Forester was to blame.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th March 2014, 20:42

Did you win?

Sewers Scotsman

Post Monday, 10th March 2014, 20:50

I always win.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner