Background suggestions

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 21:15

Background suggestions

I have a few ideas for possible background but found them to indivudally to not have enough substance for seperate threads so I figured one would work. They have a variable level of sillyness as well~

Scholar:
Starting items: 3 potions of curing, 2 potions of heal wounds, 5 scrolls of identify, 3 scrolls of remove curse, ration, leather armour, bread ration and weapon of choice
Starting skills: Fighting 2, Weapon choice 2, Dodging 1, Armour 1, Evocation 2, Invocation 2

Heavy Knight:
Starting items: plate armor, large shield, cloak, bread ration and weapon of choice
Starting skills: Fighting 2, Weapon choice 1, Armour 4, Shield 3

Chef:
Starting items: 3 pizzas, robe, +1 +1 dagger (kitchen knife) and spellbook "Cooking with Magic" (magic dart, searing ray, sublimation of blood, Alistair's intoxication, conjure flame, Ozocubu's refrigeration)
Starting skills: Short blades 2, Dodging 3, Spellcasting 3, Invocations 2

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 21:22

Re: Background suggestions

First two backgrounds: those are some stupidly strong starting items.
Third background: what.

Eringya's Employee

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 21:33

And on april 1st, 2014, they said, countless chef hats were found littering the dungeon floor...
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 21:37

All three are pretty absurd in terms of the level of items being given. Also, I'm confused by the presence of Invocations in so many of the skill lists.

The Scholar might be scalable to a more reasonable level as a character that trades some skill/equipment for some starting potions/scrolls, but the problem with this design is that if the character has enough skills to survive the first couple dungeon levels, then they're generally ahead of most no-spellbook backgrounds, and if they don't, then they're not good enough.

The Heavy Knight is just a fighter with better equipment.

The Chef is confusing and has a weak package of starting skills, but has a strange book that overlaps with the Wizard starting book but adds the rare and powerful Refrigeration and and the conjurer's favorite, Sublimation. Three of the spells are in other starting books, and one is higher level than any other starting book gets.

I'm not sure that any of these contain a core idea that could make a good background.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 22:22

Hideyoshi wrote:I have a few ideas for possible background but found them to indivudally to not have enough substance for seperate threads so I figured one would work. They have a variable level of sillyness as well~

Looks like you forgot to read that. Yiufed.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 22:29

Well excuse me for having some fucking ideas.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 23:39

Hideyoshi wrote:Well excuse me for having some fucking ideas.
Dude, have you seen how much content is in GDD? There's 1944 topics there. Even assuming just half them are proposals, (which is kind of low), that's 1000 ideas to choose from over the last few years. That number is just the easily searchable ideas. There's also the ideas that the devs have and implement on their own, the ideas on the dev wiki, and the ideas just blurted out by people on ##crawl or ##crawl-dev. Ideas are common as dirt. What's needed is a) good ideas and b) people to make them reality.

Giving a non-standard format inhibits the judgment, discussion, and improvement of your proposals. In addition, you have not given any support, which prevents people from seeing why you thought these were good ideas, whether the essence of your ideas could be used elsewhere to better effect, or if the game is not clearly indicating where you can find the experience you want. In addition, by failing to considering their imbalancing affects on the rest of the game, you're made it impossible to implement them without causing negative externalities on the other backgrounds, which forces people to think of alternative to capture the fun in your proposals (if it exists).

Sorry if this is a little long, but this attitude bugs me. Having ideas is great, but 99% of making something awesome is hard work. In this case, it's making systems balanced and working on code to build it in reality. You can't do just the fun 1% of the work and expect the rest to just appear.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 23:46

You also didn't fucking read the fucking post you were fucking told to fucking read two fucking times. This is a pretty disproportionately indignant response considering how little effort was put into your original post in the first place.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 00:27

duvessa wrote:
You also didn't fucking read the fucking post you were fucking told to fucking read two fucking times. This is a pretty disproportionately indignant response considering how little effort was put into your original post in the first place.

To be fair, galehar was a little harsh. But still, I agree with you for the most part, if someone messes up then they should apologize and then try again if they believe its worth it. Not get angry that their ideas were rejected. =/

Btw, I spent about 5 minutes busting my gut after reading this. :lol:

I mean seriously, how much more minmay can you get. :roll:
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 00:50

Tiktacy wrote:I mean seriously, how much more minmay can you get. :roll:
Well, you could be minmay.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 01:12

Oh no I didn't follow a certain format so it will take an extra ten seconds to read. How will you ever cope?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 09:05

Hideyoshi, please read your mail.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
BlackSheep

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner