Other Roguelikes

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 09:04

Other Roguelikes

I do not own a PC, but awesome enough someone ported nethack on Android. It was my first game of proper roguelike, and I enjoyed it a lot of times but I never got to finish it. Then, someone recommended Pixel Dungeon. I thought this would be my next fix of roguelike heaven but the game is just too hard, like the lowest level I've reached is 5 and that's a rare occasion because I picked up a plate mail on a lower level and I put it on my mage. Game's just frickin hard. So someone recommended DCSS on Android, and wow, this game truly wowed me. I still haven't made it past the third level yet, but maybe that's because I refuse to leave a level until I explored the whole thing.

So, what for you are the best roguelikes? I tried Wazhack on Android and it looks cool, but they want me to pony up some money. I'm hoping that DoomRL gets ported to Android.

PS: I just remembered, I didn't know it back then but I played a roguelike on PS1 and it was addictive. The game was called Azure Dreams.

Wizlab Walloper

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 10:26

Re: Other Roguelikes

DCSS is the best, but you might also want to try TOME 4. It's free and quite excellent.

For this message the author Azrael has received thanks:
mentira

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 13:09

Hi, welcome. :D Pixel Dungeon is the only roguelike I can stand on Android, personally. It is luck based though. Very tough.
If you don't mind DCSS on Android, then sweet! Definitely the best. ;) Keep playing, it just takes lots of practice to get better and learn the game.
Azrael wrote:DCSS is the best, but you might also want to try TOME 4. It's free and quite excellent.

Isn't it only PC/Mac/Linux? :shock:

For this message the author Klown has received thanks:
mentira

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 14:34

If you want to range farther afield in the definition of roguelike (or roguelike-like, as FTL calls itself), I'd recommend FTL and The Binding of Isaac.

Both want you to pony up some money. In both cases, your money goes to the dudes who made the game; so, there's that.

FTL is in the current Humble Bundle so you can get it and like 9 other games for $5.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
mentira, MyOtheHedgeFox

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 14:54

He doesn't have a PC. :idea:

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 14:59

Nethack has an android port. Several IIRC. It's really annoying unless you either have a really big screen or a hardware keyboard. Then it's only annoying.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 15:00

I have tried to play crawl on a 10" touch screen tablet. It was awful... You can bind auto explore and attack closest enemy on two buttons - volume + and - if you have them, though. But you have to use a hardware keyboard or edit the macro.txt file to do it in the fist place...(at least on my tablet)

For this message the author Amnesiac has received thanks:
Klown

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 15:50

Try Android's Trail, built for a small touch-screen interface. It's fun, simple, and entertaining. Although it's not quite as 'roguelike' as some of the others mentioned.

It's an open sourced project that's not complete content-wise yet, but the content which is there so far makes me want them to finish it :)

And yes, the Nethack ports I've played are pretty decent (Both vanilla and Slash'em) but I think the problem with any android port of a PC Roguelike is going to be interface (touch screen interface is just a different animal than keyboard interface, and trying to cram one into the other comes across kludgy and awkward)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 15:53

FTL is, actually, more of a Quick Space Rangers 2. =)
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 16:03

my fav games are all roguelikes

1. is crawl
2. is teleglitch
3. is spelunky

i dont play teleglich anymore it makes me so mad! i play spelunky all the time my third favorite game, the hd version is on steam go and get it! im gonna make a thread about it
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 18:03

Amnesiac wrote:I have tried to play crawl on a 10" touch screen tablet. It was awful... You can bind auto explore and attack closest enemy on two buttons - volume + and - if you have them, though. But you have to use a hardware keyboard or edit the macro.txt file to do it in the fist place...(at least on my tablet)

Same, was really difficult to play. Needs a completely new mobile-touched-based interface to work really.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 20:31

mentira wrote:Then, someone recommended Pixel Dungeon. I thought this would be my next fix of roguelike heaven but the game is just too hard, like the lowest level I've reached is 5 and that's a rare occasion because I picked up a plate mail on a lower level and I put it on my mage.

It's not as bad as it looks. There are a lot of little things to learn. Id minigame is crucial for example. Consumables can really make a big difference too. You can beat the goo with just potions, darts and seeds if you haven't found any weapon or armour. With some skills, you can reach the lower levels quite frequently.
It's really an awesome android game and a true roguelike with a great interface. And it keeps improving!
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
mentira

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 26th September 2013, 01:51

Klown wrote:He doesn't have a PC. :idea:

:oops:

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 26th September 2013, 02:38

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll check out FTL, Spelunky and Binding of Isaac if I get a PC. I'm quite surprised this site is more open to games like those, in one forum I'm on there's a divide of the old roguelike gamers and the roguelike-like gamers.

PS: I'm playing on a phone with a 4-inch screen and I use the touchscreen controls. There's a hidden layout, go to Android > data > org.develz.crawl > settings then open up the init file then uncomment the line:

Code:
tile_use_small_layout = true

Just remove the pound sign(#) and you're good to go. :D

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 26th September 2013, 12:53

mentira wrote:in one forum I'm on there's a divide of the old roguelike gamers and the roguelike-like gamers.

OOOOOHHH DID I DO IT RIGHT

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner