Ascii or tiles?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ascii or tiles?

Ascii
33%
Tiles
67%

Total votes : 61

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 05:51

Re: Ascii or tiles?

I set up good fonts for console and tried playing it again. It is too hard to get used to ascii after tiles :(

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 08:39

Maybe it would be easier in Comic Sans?

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
Sandman25

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 08:41

point 32 Comic Sans.

the size is important.

For this message the author Mojavemusic has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 08:47

Thank you, I will try point 32 Comic Sans.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 08:59

pics plz

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 09:53

I second the humble request for pics.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 09:56

Frelus wrote:I second the humble request for pics.

If it is for me, I cannot play at the moment.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 10:13

A sad but undeniable result of the poll is that about three quarters of Crawl's player base are illiterate. For them, the cognitive burden of assigning meaning to abstract glyphs is too high, and they have to be characterised as semiologically handicapped. Of course, this is not at all their own fault: Given the rampant decline of public education in the West, most notably the US, this trend did not at all come as a suprise. Fortunately, the Devteam was aware of this in advance and, selflessly and laboriously as ever, provided a pictorial mode. We realise that tiles players will only ever comprehend about 25-35% of what's going on in any given game, but if the pictures of Dungeon Crawl can put just one young person temporarily out of their intellectual misery, even if only for mere moments, this world has become a slightly better place for it.

A dim ray of hope for the reading capabilities of today's youth is that they seem to be able to tick boxes.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 8
adityarajbhatt, cerebovssquire, eith, Galefury, gofftc, gorbeh, rebthor, varsovie

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 10:15

@dpeg:
Hey, I play DF in console, as I said!
GET THE PITCHFORKS OUT, GUYS, HE INSULTED US!
I just have to say that I love the style of you tiles, and the quality of them.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 11:46

Spoiler: show

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 12:20

Thats point 32 comic sans? Looks.... strange. And fun!

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 15:13

Frelus wrote:Thats point 32 comic sans? Looks.... strange. And fun!

You should not be this vocal about liking Comic Sans. There's lots of hate going on about this font. :P :lol:
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 16:12

I'll stay with illiterate crowd... I am corrupted by tiles and I don't want to remember 'X' means door, font does not help much with it. Don't show tiles to players if you want them to play console version :)
I suspect I would stay with console if I played it first.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 16:24

Let us add that the abstractness of glyphs is not the main disadvantage of console. To me, the main disadvantage is that I cannot use the mouse. In this regard, webtiles version is a cousin of console in my eyes: so uncomfortable that it borders unplayability.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 16:45

Magipi wrote:Let us add that the abstractness of glyphs is not the main disadvantage of console. To me, the main disadvantage is that I cannot use the mouse. In this regard, webtiles version is a cousin of console in my eyes: so uncomfortable that it borders unplayability.

Why do you actually need to use the mouse? Im interested to know. Cause any time ive tried out tiles I just use the keys cause the mouse is so slow.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 16:59

eith wrote:
Magipi wrote:Let us add that the abstractness of glyphs is not the main disadvantage of console. To me, the main disadvantage is that I cannot use the mouse. In this regard, webtiles version is a cousin of console in my eyes: so uncomfortable that it borders unplayability.

Why do you actually need to use the mouse? Im interested to know. Cause any time ive tried out tiles I just use the keys cause the mouse is so slow.

See viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7481&p=101196
There are some player (myself included) who can't play without mouse.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 17:27

eith wrote:Why do you actually need to use the mouse? Im interested to know.

I use a laptop that does not have a numpad. So I need to use the mouse to move, when I am not autoexploring. (Yes, I know, this is not an ideal setup for Crawl :D)

Other than that, I use the mouse to manage equipment, drink a potion, read a scroll, shoot a spell, memorize a spell, and probably for other things as well. Once I tried webtiles (moving very slowly and carefully with hjkl) , and spent 90% of my time to find out the various complicated ways to do these things with the keyboard only. Extremely tedious.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 17:36

Magipi wrote:

I use a laptop that does not have a numpad. So I need to use the mouse to move, when I am not autoexploring. (Yes, I know, this is not an ideal setup for Crawl :D)

Other than that, I use the mouse to manage equipment, drink a potion, read a scroll, shoot a spell, memorize a spell, and probably for other things as well. Once I tried webtiles (moving very slowly and carefully with hjkl) , and spent 90% of my time to find out the various complicated ways to do these things with the keyboard only. Extremely tedious.

I guarantee you it would be worth the time to learn the keybindings. The mouse is incredibly slow and tedious in comparison.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 17:39

eith wrote:
Magipi wrote:

I guarantee you it would be worth the time to learn the keybindings. The mouse is incredibly slow and tedious in comparison.

Keybindings?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 17:44

Keyboard commands. I highly recommend leaning the VI-keys for movement, especially on a laptop.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 17:53

BlackSheep wrote:Keyboard commands. I highly recommend leaning the VI-keys for movement, especially on a laptop.

Saying things like "VI-keys" is not a way to work towards my understanding :D

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 18:00

Magipi wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:Keyboard commands. I highly recommend leaning the VI-keys for movement, especially on a laptop.

Saying things like "VI-keys" is not a way to work towards my understanding :D

vi-keys means using the hjklyubn keys to move instead of using numpad. it may seem very annoying at first, but it will be well worth it if you play a lot of crawl

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 18:08

eith wrote:it may seem very annoying at first, but it will be well worth it if you play a lot of crawl

Thanks, but I think I won't - my methods are just fine for me.

Anyway, even if I used the keyboard only, I would still play tiles and not console. I like tiles, they are nice, while the abstract graphics of the console mode is just too weird for my taste. It is like a game from the 1970s, and I did not play computer games back then :D

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 18:26

TehDruid wrote:
Frelus wrote:Thats point 32 comic sans? Looks.... strange. And fun!

You should not be this vocal about liking Comic Sans. There's lots of hate going on about this font. :P :lol:

Did not mean I like the font, I meant I liked the kind craziness of playing like this ;)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 20:24

dpeg wrote:A sad but undeniable result of the poll is that about three quarters of Crawl's player base are illiterate. For them, the cognitive burden of assigning meaning to abstract glyphs is too high, and they have to be characterised as semiologically handicapped. Of course, this is not at all their own fault: Given the rampant decline of public education in the West, most notably the US, this trend did not at all come as a suprise. Fortunately, the Devteam was aware of this in advance and, selflessly and laboriously as ever, provided a pictorial mode. We realise that tiles players will only ever comprehend about 25-35% of what's going on in any given game, but if the pictures of Dungeon Crawl can put just one young person temporarily out of their intellectual misery, even if only for mere moments, this world has become a slightly better place for it.

A dim ray of hope for the reading capabilities of today's youth is that they seem to be able to tick boxes.

I do surprisingly well considering I have to play by whacking my forehead against the keyboard anyway. :lol:

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 20th April 2013, 02:22

Given enough time, monkeys typing on consoles will eventually escape with the Orb.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

For this message the author tcjsavannah has received thanks: 3
adityarajbhatt, Grimm, rebthor

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th April 2013, 07:04

Magipi wrote:
eith wrote:it may seem very annoying at first, but it will be well worth it if you play a lot of crawl

Thanks, but I think I won't - my methods are just fine for me.

Anyway, even if I used the keyboard only, I would still play tiles and not console. I like tiles, they are nice, while the abstract graphics of the console mode is just too weird for my taste. It is like a game from the 1970s, and I did not play computer games back then :D

numrow + arrow keys is perfectly fine for playing crawl too, but i'll have to hide now because my fellow console players are going to lynch me

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th April 2013, 07:14

tcjsavannah wrote:Given enough time, monkeys typing on consoles will eventually escape with the Orb.

But NOT ON TILES.

meant to quote not thank

tcjsavannah

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 20th April 2013, 09:37

monkey > mouse

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 20th April 2013, 13:02

Grimm wrote:
tcjsavannah wrote:Given enough time, monkeys typing on consoles will eventually escape with the Orb.

But NOT ON TILES.

meant to quote not thank

One good mis-thank deserves another.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th April 2013, 14:00

dpeg wrote:monkey > mouse

We've not been reading our Douglas Adams.

tcjsavannah wrote:One good mis-thank deserves another.

There's an admin setting that allows people to revoke their thanks. I thought about proposing turning it on, but this way it's like permadeath. Permathanks. Makes for a better, more intense forum.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 20th April 2013, 15:49

In the beginning, there was Nethack. It was console, and it was good. Then, some strange people created Slash'em with tiles, and the garishness of the tiles matched the absurdness of the game.

A few Nethack wanderers discovered crawl, and it was good. It was console, and the early wanderers learned to imbue letters with new meaning: to learn the horror of a green "o" or the thrill of spotting a "{". DCSS came along and added tiles, but the good and pure refused to accept the garish and fixed icons for the beauty and purity of the halo of meaning surrounding letters and symbols of the alphabet.

Then the fucking devteam did this:

Code:
* Glyph changes for several monsters. See 052_monster_glyphs.txt.

Since then, there is a horrible dissonance in the once pure world of consoles. The halo of meaning does not match the creature; the world is fractured, dark. Love is hate, good is evil, pure is impure.

And that's why I play tiles, damnit.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 20th April 2013, 16:26

The fucking devteam did this to make going consoling easier for the new generation. And it was good.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 20th April 2013, 17:46

dpeg wrote:A sad but undeniable result of the poll is that about three quarters of Crawl's player base are illiterate. For them, the cognitive burden of assigning meaning to abstract glyphs is too high, and they have to be characterised as semiologically handicapped. Of course, this is not at all their own fault: Given the rampant decline of public education in the West, most notably the US, this trend did not at all come as a suprise. Fortunately, the Devteam was aware of this in advance and, selflessly and laboriously as ever, provided a pictorial mode. We realise that tiles players will only ever comprehend about 25-35% of what's going on in any given game, but if the pictures of Dungeon Crawl can put just one young person temporarily out of their intellectual misery, even if only for mere moments, this world has become a slightly better place for it.

2 much words lol.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 20th April 2013, 22:35

Mojavemusic wrote:point 32 Comic Sans.

the size is important.

I'd also suggest 'char_set = ibm' in init.txt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th April 2013, 23:00

dpeg wrote:The fucking devteam did this to make going consoling easier for the new generation. And it was good.

If you want to make console even easier just implement this proposal.

HenryFlower

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 09:34

how do you guys change your font?by me,its always raster fonts and lucida console,with no further options

@dpeg:thumbs up!:D

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 13:55

Rasta fonts?

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 16:30

gorbeh wrote:how do you guys change your font?by me,its always raster fonts and lucida console,with no further options

@dpeg:thumbs up!:D

Using putty to play on the servers. It has access to a lot more fonts. You can actually change the windows console font, but it requires registry hacking

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 18:11

Grimm wrote:Rasta fonts?

Dey help ya babble on.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 18:32

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks: 2
Grimm, rebthor

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 2nd May 2013, 00:23

when i first started playing i used tiles exclusively, because i thought the mouse was useful. then i started playing on cdo becuase i love playing trunk most of all and i got tired of downloading a new version every other day. by the time webtiles came about i was so used to the ascii glyphs and keyboard commands that I can't make use of the mouse if i try to play tiles anymore anyhow - it's just too slow,

and dagnabbit I'm not supposed to be a little doll, I'm an x or an i or an e or sometimes even a d or an @.

i have a real fondness for my little blue x.(does that make me a zero?)

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 27th May 2013, 14:11

Magipi wrote:I bet the ratio of tiles players among all players (and not just forum members) is closer to 100% than to 90%.

An interesting stat from the tournament:

Proportion of players using webtiles: 71.7%

This is much lower than I guessed.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 27th May 2013, 16:02

Hmm...well if you die, console will make you feel better, but the other side has all the tall tiles.

For this message the author thejasper has received thanks:
rebthor

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 10th June 2013, 02:17

Tiles is easy and fun, but I learned a lot of good habits playing console on my smartphone.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 10th June 2013, 05:23

The reason I play tiles is not because I'm illiterate, it's because ASCII is retarded. Remembering which glyphs represent which entities is not a difficult task, it's just mundane and boring to look at. There's nothing exciting about fighting an army of letters in a dungeon made out of punctuation. It's like playing a game of chess without the chess pieces.

"OK, these bottlecaps represent the rooks, these nickels represent the pawns, these paperclips represent the bishops, these pen caps represent the knights, this thumbtack represents the queen, and this jelly bean represents the king."

Sure, you're still technically playing chess, but why the hell would anyone prefer that over normal chess pieces? There's no reason to play it like that unless you're lacking actual chess pieces. However, Crawl does have tiles, so why the hell would I ever want to play it in ASCII? Why would I want to look at a "g" representing a goblin when I could look at an actual goblin? ASCII is in no way superior to Tiles, and is directly inferior in many aspects. I cannot understand why people who play using ASCII act superior, even though they are clearly in the minority. I know the first roguelikes had ASCII graphics, but that was due to the technical limitations of the time. This is the year of 2013, not 1980. Why are roguelikes still being made in ASCII? Why is this even a thing?

I started playing Crawl in ASCII. Someone ported the ASCII version to the Wii and put it on the Homebrew channel many years ago, which is how I originally discovered Crawl. It was an old, outdated version of the game, but I tried it out and I enjoyed it so I looked it up online (that was back when Crawl was v0.5, the port I found was v0.4 IIRC). When I saw I had the option to choose between tiles and ASCII, I chose tiles.

Do you honestly mean to tell me that this -

- is somehow superior to this?

Even the tiles minimap is more sophisticated than ASCII Crawl!

Also, since you called us illiterate, allow me (a lowly tiles player) to correct your spelling:
characterised - should be characterized
suprise - should be surprise
realise - should be realize

For this message the author Laraso has received thanks: 2
pratamawirya, Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th June 2013, 07:19

Laraso wrote:characterised - should be characterized

British spelling yo

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 10th June 2013, 07:43

Grimm wrote:
Laraso wrote:characterised - should be characterized

British spelling yo

Firefox's spelling checker threw a fit over it. Regardless, I've never seen those words spelled with an "s" in place of the "z", although the fact that I don't live in the UK probably has something to do with that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th June 2013, 07:46

yeah

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 10th June 2013, 08:35

Humour is a terrible weapon, especially in the hands of a German.

He who laughs last... laughs alone.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
Arrhythmia
PreviousNext

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner