YASD GrSk^Chei: SFT isn't instant, but it's all my fault

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 5th November 2013, 14:56

YASD GrSk^Chei: SFT isn't instant, but it's all my fault

I generally don't like posting YASDs here because of the "yet another" part of them: almost all ways to die are already well-known, outside of the funniest ones like confused Psyche polymorphing Gastronok into a golden dragon. But this character was extremely promising, and i actually learned something new after dying.
With this gargoyle, i was aiming for one of the highest AC+EV sums on the tournament, and at the moment of death i had the means of achieving ~82 AC and 58 EV. That would've been enough for the second AC+EV result, and my Armour and Dodging skills were not even maxed. That was the reason why i worshiped Chei; axes were my weapon of choice because i expected to be surrounded very often.
The start of this game was quite harsh due to the low HP and axes aptitude, and even with 12(!) javelins i somehow found on the first two floors of the dungeon i couldn't kill early uniques. However, another lucky find, a shop with a wand of draining on D:4 greatly helped me dealing with the early threats. Then on D:8 one of the orc warriors gifted me a vampiric battleaxe, pretty much putting my game on autopilot till Zot:5, where orb of fire spam actually made me worry somewhat. And Elven Halls were a bit tricky as always. I should say, a heavy armored Gr is among the best users of vampiric weapons because leeched health for them makes up a bigger part of their HP bar, while their AC makes each hit point more valuable.
Of course, i wasn't satisfied with the main game and went into extended: my AC and EV weren't maxed after all. A temporary switch to TSO before Pan-diving worked just fine, Chei's wrath did approximately no harm to me. With an exec axe of holy wrath, most Pan lords died pretty easily. But Cerebov (and his brimstone fiends) managed to put up quite a fight: i would've died to him if there wasn't a nice hiding spot in his vault (evilmike_cerebov_lava, where the rune lies). So, after surviving the Pan lords i expected a boring but easy search for the demonic rune, but this happened.
A Hell Sentinel. Well, of course, i was aware of their existence in Pan and them being a top tier threat for my hasteless low HP character. But before that i killed 6 of them just fine by using uncontrolled blink (the game didn't give me cBlink, and that's probably a fair trade for the axe i got) and just bashing them in the face. But that exact one was a tough cookie: it used almost every opportunity to throw hellfire at me, as if it was my worst nightmare. I started contemplating using Step From Time at ~70 HP, but my thought process was "well, it's okay, i can probably still finish it off before it hits me hard, but if not, then i use my instant "escape" ability". Well, it hellfired me once more the next turn, and then i left the plane of existence only to find the enemy next to me (but at the other side, it must have wandered into a corridor behind me and got stuck there), finishing me off with yet another hellfire.
Needless to say, i felt pretty upset after that and started to realize why nobody (except me, Bloax and tasonir) likes Cheibriados. After winning several games with this god, i was convinced in his last ability being instant and able to get me out of any trouble. And the falsity of the last statement was quite disappointing for me.
But, after giving more thought into this situation, i looked at it from another viewpoint. Please consider my conclusion before posting your generic condescending comments about the Yukkuri God.
I had quite some experience with Chei, and Step From Time failed me like this for the first time, right? Which means, the probability of this happening lies around 0—1%. On the other hand, my Invocations were at 12, making the last ability have 5—7% failure chance. So, what happened to me was basically another, rarer type of ability "miscast". And i shouldn't be that mad about this death since i might have as well miscast Step From Time in a more usual way.
So, the true lesson is, once again, that using unreliable saving options at the last possible moment might end up badly. Also, Hell Sentinels are Mennas-level threats for Gr and i should've at least slowed the last one down with Bend Time. And, to be honest, doing extended with Chei and no cBlink isn't the safest thing ever.

Morgue: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Zo ... 115021.txt
(btw, this character earned me the Vow of Courage III banner, so at least it achieved something)
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th November 2013, 15:05

Re: YASD GrSk^Chei: SFT isn't instant, but it's all my fault

ZoFy wrote:Needless to say, i felt pretty upset after that and started to realize why nobody (except me, Bloax and tasonir) likes Cheibriados.

That's wrong ;) Chei is my favorite god but I don't play it often because it is OP. I always get last Chei ability to 1% before Vaults, it is similar to Death's Door in that regard, you don't want to have Death's Door at 7%.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
ZoFy

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th November 2013, 15:23

I usually get Step From Time to 1-2% fail as yearly as mid/end of Lair because it's just really nice and I also tend to mash buttons like an idiot and having a nigh-guaranteed escape is neat. According to bots, Invo also increases the chance of monsters to wander away and even go to sleep so yeah... better safe than sorry.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 5th November 2013, 15:27

Chei is not overpowered; what 15-rune, 4-zigg characters can look like under *any* god is not a useful measure of how strong that god is.

Condolences about the character you lost. Yeah, Step From Time is not foolproof, even when it works. [edit: i.e., even when it does not "miscast."]

Perhaps using temporal distortion instead of uncontrolled blinking to help close in to melee range would have been more effective and given the sentinel fewer turns to blast you? In any case, as you said, Bend Time to slow would have been a good move, before you started hacking away.

As a general aside: I really don't understand why people skimp so much on invocations, putting in just the bare minimum required to skate by. With Chei in particular it is worth getting ~15 invocations, and even more levels beyond that are not a waste (you just might have better things to invest in). Aside from failure rate, higher invocations improves the effectiveness of Chei's abilities, including step from time (you get longer periods "outside of time" which means better chances for the thing you were worried about to wander far, far away).
Last edited by and into on Thursday, 7th November 2013, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 5th November 2013, 16:29

Sandman25 wrote:That's wrong ;) Chei is my favorite god but I don't play it often because it is OP.

Ha! I had the same feeling after winning my first game with Chei. It was a Naga Transmuter in 0.10, so the most OP part of the build was probably constriction (which used to annihilate dudes and players these days, but is still reasonably strong nowadays, at least for Na of Chei). In reality, while it feels pretty OP for the bigger part of the game, surviving until having reliable Slouch can be tricky (i'd rather suffer a bit in the early game to have fun later, but certified good players™ wouldn't) and the playstyle this god offers is quite specific and annoys some players. Well, this has been discussed multiple times, and there's a positive side about everyone being so condescending about Chei: at least he won't get nerfed any time soon like everything else. He was even indirectly buffed by improving effects of the Str stat on damage and armor penalty.

Thanks everyone for the advice about the Step From Time failure percentage. I used to be greedy and have my live saving abilities and spells at 5%, and it's time to get rid of this habit. I definitely could've found some more XP for invocations by Pan.

and into wrote:Perhaps using temporal distortion instead of uncontrolled blinking to help close in to melee range would have been more effective and given the sentinel fewer turns to blast you? In any case, as you said, Bend Time to slow would have been a good move, before you started hacking away.

Yes, that makes perfect sense, and i'm not sure why i wasn't doing that. Probably just because imperfect tactic was working out for me, and i was taking it too easy. Or maybe Hell Sentinels didn't want to walk towards me (i surely remember that Brimstone Fiends were just randomly moving around while i used Temporal Distortion, but can't recall Hell Sentinels' behavior).
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Double Skullcrusher

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th November 2013, 17:15

Yes, early game is harder with Chei. But I base my opinion about gods on after-Lair game so Chei is still OP for me. I have a 3-rune win with TrHu of Chei and it was very easy too (maybe because of lucky acquirement of artefact with Jump) and dealing 121 damage to OoF in a single attack was crazy. OpTm of Chei felt so OP that I didn't enjoy it and eventually died to overconfidence caused by boredom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 6th November 2013, 16:42

Sandman25 wrote:Yes, early game is harder with Chei. But I base my opinion about gods on after-Lair game so Chei is still OP for me. I have a 3-rune win with TrHu of Chei and it was very easy too (maybe because of lucky acquirement of artefact with Jump) and dealing 121 damage to OoF in a single attack was crazy. OpTm of Chei felt so OP that I didn't enjoy it and eventually died to overconfidence caused by boredom.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. After lair the game is easier and the best gods are those that help you before you get to the easy part of the game. Chei makes the time before completing lair more difficult which is why he's underpowered. Not being able to run from the dangerous things before you yourself are dangerous is a distinct drawback. Compare the power level of Chei pre-lair to Fedhas, Trog and Okawaru and tell me that Chei is the god you want to get you through lair.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th November 2013, 18:37

rebthor wrote:This makes absolutely no sense to me. After lair the game is easier and the best gods are those that help you before you get to the easy part of the game. Chei makes the time before completing lair more difficult which is why he's underpowered. Not being able to run from the dangerous things before you yourself are dangerous is a distinct drawback. Compare the power level of Chei pre-lair to Fedhas, Trog and Okawaru and tell me that Chei is the god you want to get you through lair.

My melee characters start having problems after Lair when Yaktaurs/Cyclops appear. Maybe that's because I play very carefully before Lair but get reckless after.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th November 2013, 18:40

Sandman25 wrote:My melee characters start having problems after Lair when Yaktaurs/Cyclops appear.
If you're having trouble with a speed 7 monster then chei might actually be the problem...

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
rebthor

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th November 2013, 18:59

duvessa wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:My melee characters start having problems after Lair when Yaktaurs/Cyclops appear.
If you're having trouble with a speed 7 monster then chei might actually be the problem...

It applies regardless of god.
I don't see much difference between speed 10 and speed 7 for a monster with ranged attack 29 (HD 9 + base damage 20 for large rock, right?) and melee attack 35.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 01:34

Well you can walk away from both of those unless that's against your religion I think.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 02:41

Sometimes you have to fight them, you know. Chei adds 45 to Stealth (that's equivalent to 3 levels in Stealth).

zrn

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 02:56

Sandman25 wrote:
ZoFy wrote:Needless to say, i felt pretty upset after that and started to realize why nobody (except me, Bloax and tasonir) likes Cheibriados.

That's wrong ;) Chei is my favorite god but I don't play it often because it is OP. I always get last Chei ability to 1% before Vaults, it is similar to Death's Door in that regard, you don't want to have Death's Door at 7%.

Are you BountyHunterSAx's alt account?

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 03:09

chei also breaks your legs.
In very few cases you do really have to fight slowtaurs, much less when said slowtaurs can actually put up a fight. This is even less often the case for a cyclops.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 03:16

dck wrote:chei also breaks your legs.
In very few cases you do really have to fight slowtaurs, much less when said slowtaurs can actually put up a fight. This is even less often the case for a cyclops.

What's your point? To remind me Chei slows movement? I am sure you know I know it. Also I am sure you know Chei increases EV and provides several tools to deal with Cyclops/Yaktaurs.
The only thing I am not sure you realize is that I had those Cyclops/Yaktaurs problems with other gods, not with Chei.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 03:22

If you have cyclops/yaktaur problems with not-chei not-naga then you need to improve your positioning.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 3
duvessa, pratamawirya, rebthor

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 03:27

crate wrote:If you have cyclops/yaktaur problems with not-chei not-naga then you need to improve your positioning.

Which is a more polite way of saying, "You suck at playing melee characters." :P

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 03:42

People, what's with you? Do you seriously think I am not familiar with all those stupid tactics like "step back", "retreat behind a corner", "retreat into corridor" etc? Have you ever been surrounded by Yaktaurs on a new level? Have you ever seen a new Cyclops generated near upstairs you were retreating to?
Yes, of course, I suck with melee characters. MiBe, DDBe, DDFi, TrHu, DsFi, MiGl, HaBe, HOFi are all casters.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 04:02

No, the game is always completely unfair to you only and for the rest of players elec golems are actually zappy hobgoblins.
Or maybe you do have bad positioning, as having problems with a really slow ranged monster hints.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 04:09

Right, nobody dies to those Yaktaurs/Cyclopse/Stone Giants, only I have problems with them.

Code:
28444 games for * (recent xl>14): 5858x winning, 692x a stone giant, 479x a centaur warrior, 460x a yaktaur captain, 367x quitting, 350x a greater naga, 336x Nikola, ...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9679#p132764

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 04:58

There's a difference between a cyclops and a stone giant.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 05:03

dck wrote:There's a difference between a cyclops and a stone giant.

Sorry, I confuse monsters often. I don't differentiate Stone Giant from Cyclops, they require exactly the same tactics IMHO.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 05:26

Sandman25 wrote:

Sorry, I confuse monsters often. I don't differentiate Stone Giant from Cyclops, they require exactly the same tactics IMHO.

How can you... dude, you want to make me choke on my coffee or something? :o

Stone giants are much faster and much stronger than Cyclopes. How can you not differentiate them?

I almost always shiver when I meet my first stone giant in the game, but whenever I meet my first cyclops I just... well, I just shrug my shoulders.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 05:30

Well then your honest opinion is godawful.

For this message the author dck has received thanks: 2
duvessa, rebthor

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 09:52

ZoFy wrote:Or maybe Hell Sentinels didn't want to walk towards me (i surely remember that Brimstone Fiends were just randomly moving around while i used Temporal Distortion, but can't recall Hell Sentinels' behavior).

If this happens, press "." once (or do something else like drink a potion, make sure the enemy gets a turn) and try temporal distortion again.
Sometimes they just don't want to move towards you, and giving them a turn to do exactly this usually makes them walk towards you after using temporal distortion.

The random movement can also (albeit rarely) be used as a last ditch against a tough melee enemy, since they can potentially move away from you.
And since it's instant, there's no penalty for trying if you were going to die on the next turn either way. (Usually you should pray and step from time, unless you have <10 MP.)

While I'm at it, one shouldn't forget that slouch is a rather reliable source of guaranteed (which to say it can't MISS) damage.
And so it's very handy for finishing off a monster that's about to kill you - but is also at very low HP itself. (Like say, a troll you couldn't beat around D:11 for some reason.)
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

For this message the author Bloax has received thanks:
ZoFy

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 10:13

pratamawirya wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:

Stone giants are much faster and much stronger than Cyclopes. How can you not differentiate them?

I almost always shiver when I meet my first stone giant in the game, but whenever I meet my first cyclops I just... well, I just shrug my shoulders.

Really? You don't see it? :? I agree with Sandman: they feel quite equivalent to me. They are both brutes that can smash a large chunk of your HP at range when you first meet them. The main difference is, because Cyclopes appear mid game, they eventually become easy monsters when you reach the late game, but Stone Giants appear late game, so they don't trivialize nearly as much by the time you reach the end game.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 11:37

No, the main difference is that cyclops are slow.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
duvessa, rebthor

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 14:23

??stone giant wrote:1) Like a speed 10 cyclops that hits much harder. All over late D and Vaults, hope you don't get sick and tired of them too quick
2) Like a cyclops if it's WIELDING a cyclops, maybe. A cyclops with a giant spiked club.

Note the first 5 words in entry 1. Then note entry 2.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 17:42

pratamawirya wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:

Well, I have never died to Cyclops yet (as far as I remember). Having problems does not necessarily mean dying. Cyclops has 35 melee attack, Stone Giant 45, both throw Large Rocks. Yes, I still don't see much difference, at least when you are wounded and are retreating from another monster when a Cyclop/Stone Giant comes into your LoS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 17:48

{ 11, 21, 826, SEMI, MONS_CYCLOPS },
{ 21, 31, 571, SEMI, MONS_STONE_GIANT },

Cyclops start to appear at D11, Stone Giant at D21. I would be really surprised if Stone Giant was not stronger.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 18:00

Sandman25 wrote:Yes, I still don't see much difference, at least when you are wounded and are retreating from another monster when a Cyclop/Stone Giant comes into your LoS.

The difference is cyclops will never keep up with you (assuming normal speed here), while stone giant will and, due to energy randomization, might even get a throw.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
rebthor

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 18:16

Sar wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:Yes, I still don't see much difference, at least when you are wounded and are retreating from another monster when a Cyclop/Stone Giant comes into your LoS.

The difference is cyclops will never keep up with you (assuming normal speed here), while stone giant will and, due to energy randomization, might even get a throw.

Do you suggest to throw darts/javelins/stones at the edge of LoS (when Cyclops has low chance to have a turn) and then step back?
I don't usually do it with melee characters.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 18:27

Nah, I'm just saying it's way easier to lose it, exclude a part of level, go deeper etc. I mean you probably can do something like that but it doesn't sound very fun and I don't get the energy system well enough to pull it off, to be honest.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 18:29

Sar wrote:Nah, I'm just saying it's way easier to lose it, exclude a part of level, go deeper etc. I mean you probably can do something like that but it doesn't sound very fun and I don't get the energy system well enough to pull it off, to be honest.

I see. That's what I meant as "having problems with Cyclops/Yaktaurs".

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 14:07

Bloax wrote:If this happens, press "." once (or do something else like drink a potion, make sure the enemy gets a turn) and try temporal distortion again.
Sometimes they just don't want to move towards you, and giving them a turn to do exactly this usually makes them walk towards you after using temporal distortion.

The random movement can also (albeit rarely) be used as a last ditch against a tough melee enemy, since they can potentially move away from you.
And since it's instant, there's no penalty for trying if you were going to die on the next turn either way. (Usually you should pray and step from time, unless you have <10 MP.)

While I'm at it, one shouldn't forget that slouch is a rather reliable source of guaranteed (which to say it can't MISS) damage.
And so it's very handy for finishing off a monster that's about to kill you - but is also at very low HP itself. (Like say, a troll you couldn't beat around D:11 for some reason.)

These are some nice Chei tips here. I did some wizmode testing for temporal distortion, and apparently multiple use of this ability is a costly but safe substitute for Step From Time. The "costly" part will probably make me refuse to perform this trick in actual games, but it's a lot better than dying and could have saved me from this YASD,

Funnily enough, before starting this thread i didn't know about cyclops being slow despite playing normal speed characters most of the time. I guess, it's not that easy to notice as it is with other slow dudes, because when they run out of rocks, you've already turned the corner. Or i'm just blind :)
Double Skullcrusher

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 14:43

Chei's piety does not decay so when you are at 6 stars for quite some time there is nothing wrong in using Slouch a couple of times, the piety is wasted otherwise.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 14:44

Cheibrados is an incredibly good god for people who do not know how to position themselves and don't understand the value of movement during combat. Unfortunately, these are two things that when done correctly are way better than Cheibrados ever.
Wir saufen, und wir sind noch da!

For this message the author Abominae has received thanks: 2
duvessa, rebthor

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 14:49

Abominae wrote:Cheibrados is an incredibly good god for people who do not know how to position themselves and don't understand the value of movement during combat. Unfortunately, these are two things that when done correctly are way better than Cheibrados ever.

Do you mean Chei helps people realize their errors related to movement? Yes, other characters can survive after rushing towards an Orc and seeing 2 Orc Priests just behind it, worshiper of Chei will die here...

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 16:11

Sandman25 wrote:Do you mean Chei helps people realize their errors related to movement? Yes, other characters can survive after rushing towards an Orc and seeing 2 Orc Priests just behind it, worshiper of Chei will die here...

No, my point is being able to move correctly is extremely powerful and is not just for disengaging a fight. Cheibrados prohibits you from being able to move correctly, and that is his greatest downside. However, if you don't know how to move correctly in the first place, Cheibrados prohibiting you from doing so doesn't matter. Therefore, he's really good for players who don't know how to use movement well. He becomes increasingly worse (and much more annoying to play) once you learn to move better.
Wir saufen, und wir sind noch da!

For this message the author Abominae has received thanks:
Sandman25

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too