YAVP - SETm 10 runes

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 5th March 2011, 15:42

YAVP - SETm 10 runes

Wow, that game was a lot of fun! :D

I got lucky several times early on. Found a sewer on D3 which bumped me from level 4 to 6, a nice early boost. Then on D7 I found a bailey, which turned out to be the orc warlord one. With lots of potions of confusion and poison and the help of spider form I was able to actually kill the warlord rather than just grabbing the loot and running. Got multiple gain stat potions from that. Back in the Dungeon I suffered... well, I assume it was a transmutation miscast from casting blade hands. Whatever it was it gave my catastrophic amounts of glow (I didn't even know it was possible to get red glow!). And 6 mutations! By some amazing luck only one was bad (-10% hp). The others were Str +1, colourless scales (AC +1), Int +1, brown scales (AC +2, +3% hp) and mapping. Very nice from something that could have been disastrous!

The mid-game wasn't too bad. I've finally learnt that I don't have to clear the entirety of a branch in one go. Coming back later for the end is fine! I had to avoid the Swamp for a long time because the entrance was surrounded by electric eels and I hadn't found anything with rElec. A draconian ghost also caused me a lot of trouble until I found a bookshop in Snake with dispel undead (I swear I'm going to stop playing draconians now that I've realised what happens to their breath if they come back as ghosts!). Snake was cleared out easily, even with Mara sitting right by the stairs on the last level. And another ghost deciding to interfere. Next came Swamp after I finally found a rElec robe. But I left the rune because it was the pestilence vault and I've seen that one a few too many times recently! Then I cleared Vaults 1-7 and the Crypt, killing Boris twice in the process. :twisted:

Once I managed to get haste and deflect missiles working I went back for Vaults 8 and the last few level of Elf. Then Swamp to get my third rune. Then I went for Zot. Where Sif Muna finally came through for me and delivered necromutation. With this I found the Abyssal rune, cleared out the Vestibule of Hell, the Tomb and Zot. Then Slime for the first time. Where I learnt that attacking the Royal Jelly in the open in lich form is one of the worst plans ever. Luckily a random blink landed me close enough to the stairs to retreat in safety, heal and come back with blade hands and haste. This worked much better.

Next I decided to explore the Hells. Although I think I spent more time banishd to the Abyss. I managed to kill Dispater (hellfire hurts!) and Antaeus and take their runes. Then, avoiding Gehenna and Tartarus I went into Pan. Where I met Cerebov 4 levels in. :shock: I didn't seem to be able to lure him away from the rune, so I hasted, blade handed and just charged him. Hey, I never claimed to have good plans! Somehow, this worked and I survived with about 40 hp. This was my ninth rune so I decided to go for 10 then stop pushing my luck and get the Orb. A few levels later I ran into Mnoleg, who was much easier to kill than Cerebov. I grabbed his rune, banished myself to the Abyss, eventually escaped from there and went back to Zot for the Orb.

And almost managed to get killed on my way out. On D14 I got ambushed by a Pan Lord with multiple executioners and things throwing hellfire. Luckily I just made it to the stairs and nothing followed me up. From there it was an easy run back to D1 and my second win! :D

Ugh, sorry, that was long. Feel free to ignore my happy rambling. :P Morgue file is attached if anyone is interested; apparently it's too long to post and actually write anything.
Attachments
morgue-Kilava-20110305-142514.txt
(66.27 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 5th March 2011, 16:10

Re: YAVP - SETm 10 runes

Whoohoo!! Go Dreamy!! :D

A 10-runer with two Hell kills and two Pan kills! That is amazing! I am in awe of your Crawlin Skills! At the rate your going, you're going to have a 15 rune win before you know it!!!
Annotations
D:3 exclusion: Sigmund

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 14:33

Re: YAVP - SETm 10 runes

Nice! SETm are my favourite combo so far...
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too