CIP DECJ: Got my first rune

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 02:30

CIP DECJ: Got my first rune

True to the scorched earth strategy of the Glass Cannon Wizard I killed everything in the map and secured my first rune.

I know the advice is to go to D:27 first, but the dungeon was feeling scary and I figured if I was going to die, I would die exploring places I had never been before. I also went to Elf:3, but the -Ctele made me decide to save that one for later.

I think I will use my slow and steady strategy of staying near the stairs, retreating to stairs to fight monter groups, and slowly advance to next take on Shoals.

Anyone have any good advice what to level up next? I just got spell casting maxed, and am now pumping more into conj and fire. Anything I can't firebomb I OOD. Run if things look remotely bad for me, and CBlink if everything else fails.

I wouldn't say this game is extremely hard, but it has an intense learning curve, and is extremely satisfying to finally be getting the upper hand on it. You either have to learn how to play it at a very efficient level or you will lose every time. I don't think I was ever in any remote danger of dying in Snake:5, but being a new place and first rune it was pretty tense. I am guessing every single tile in the castle had a baddie on it, because the train of enemies coming to fight me seemed endless. On to the next, I am guessing if I don't do anything really dumb I might be able to secure my first victory.

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.12-a0-3197-g72301d3 (tiles) character file.

Sorted the Archmage (Deep Elf Conjurer)            Turns: 87284, Time: 06:42:14

HP 125/125       AC  8     Str 13      XL: 22   Next: 77%
MP  48/48        EV 18     Int 29      God: Vehumet [******]
Gold 2125        SH 13     Dex 16      Spells: 15 memorised, 12 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : +   f - staff of wizardry
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : .   G - +0 leather armour of the Dropbear {Str+4 D
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .   a - +1 elf buckler
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : .   E - +2 wizard hat
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : .   B - +0 elf cloak
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : .   Z - +0 pair of gauntlets
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   b - +0 pair of boots
Res.Rott. : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .   C - amulet of the gourmand
Gourmand  : +       Flight     : .   y - ring of see invisible
                                     N - ring of Blaur {Str+2 Dex+3}

@: delayed fireball, quite resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
A: Dex +1
a: Renounce Religion, Release Delayed Fireball
}: 1/15 runes: serpentine

You are on level 5 of the Snake Pit.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 8 branches of the dungeon, and seen 48 of its levels.
You have visited the Abyss 1 time.

You have collected 4035 gold pieces.
You have spent 1930 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 O - the +2,+9 falchion "Alefetio" {flame, Str+4}
   (You found it on level 22 of the Dungeon)   

It emits flame when wielded, causing extra injury to most foes and up to
   double damage against particularly susceptible opponents. Big, fiery blades
   are also staple armaments of hydra-hunters.

It affects your strength (+4).
Armour
 a - a +1 elven buckler (worn)
 b - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
 B - a +0 elven cloak (worn)
 E - a +2 wizard hat (worn)
 G - the +0 leather armour of the Dropbear (worn) {Str+4 Dex-3 Acc-4}
   (You found it on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It affects your dexterity (-3).
   It affects your accuracy (-4).
 Z - a +0 pair of gauntlets (worn)
Magical devices
 c - a wand of teleportation {zapped: 1}
 i - a wand of polymorph {zapped: 5}
 K - a wand of draining {zapped: 1}
 L - a wand of digging
 Q - a wand of disintegration
Comestibles
 t - 3 meat rations
Scrolls
 d - 7 scrolls of teleportation
 h - 4 scrolls of remove curse
 k - 8 scrolls of identify
 m - a scroll of blinking
 n - 4 scrolls of magic mapping
 u - 2 scrolls of silence
 T - a scroll of fear
Jewellery
 p - an uncursed ring of poison resistance
 w - an uncursed amulet of guardian spirit
 y - a ring of see invisible (right hand)
 C - an amulet of the gourmand (around neck)
 F - an uncursed ring of magical power
 N - the ring of Blaur (left hand) {Str+2 Dex+3}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Snake Pit)   

[ring of strength]
   It affects your strength (+2).
   It affects your dexterity (+3).
Potions
 e - a potion of resistance
 j - 3 potions of speed
 o - a potion of berserk rage
 q - 2 potions of flight
 I - a potion of invisibility
 P - 4 potions of curing
Books
 g - a book of Fire   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   Fire Brand                         Charms/Fire                  2
   Ignite Poison                      Fire/Transmutation           5
   *Fireball                          Conjuration/Fire             5
   *Bolt of Fire                      Conjuration/Fire             6
   *Delayed Fireball                  Conjuration/Fire             7
   *Ring of Flames                    Charms/Fire                  7
   Dragon Form                        Fire/Transmutation           7
 D - a book of the Warp   

Recall                             Summoning/Translocation      3
   Control Teleport                   Charms/Translocation         4
   *Phase Shift                       Translocation                5
   Warp Weapon                        Charms/Translocation         5
   Dispersal                          Translocation                6
   *Controlled Blink                  Translocation                7
   Disjunction                        Translocation                8
Magical staves
 f - an uncursed staff of wizardry (weapon)

Skills:
 - Level 10.3 Fighting
 - Level 10.0 Dodging
 - Level 2.4 Stealth
 - Level 5.4 Shields
 - Level 5.2 Traps
 O Level 27 Spellcasting
 * Level 20.7 Conjurations
 - Level 12.5 Translocations
 * Level 20.7 Fire Magic

You have 12 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Magic Dart            Conj           #####        0%          1    None
b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          0%          2    None
c - Fireball              Conj/Fire      #########.   0%          5    None
d - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           #########    0%          4    None
e - Iskenderun's Battles  Conj/Chrm      ########.    1%          4    None
f - Bolt of Fire          Conj/Fire      #########.   1%          6    None
g - Apportation           Tloc           ########..   0%          1    None
h - Fire Storm            Conj/Fire      #########.   2%          9    #####..
i - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ######....   1%          2    None
j - Animate Skeleton      Necr           N/A          1%          1    None
k - Ring of Flames        Chrm/Fire      ########..   4%          7    None
l - Orb of Destruction    Conj           #########.   1%          7    None
q - Controlled Blink      Tloc           N/A          1%          7    None
u - Phase Shift           Tloc           ########..   1%          5    None
w - Delayed Fireball      Conj/Fire      N/A          1%          7    None

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (22/27)            Temple (1/1) D:5             Orc (4/4) D:10
    Elf (3/3) Orc:3          Lair (8/8) D:12          Swamp (0/5) Lair:4
  Snake (5/5) Lair:6        Slime (0/6) Lair:7       Vaults (4/5) D:18
  Blade (0/1) Vaults:4      Crypt (1/5) Vaults:2   

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
the Shining One
Beogh
Jiyva

Shops:
D:4: +/(  D:9: (  D:10: *  D:14: !+  D:22: (  Orc:1: *%  Orc:3: *  Orc:4: *[=(  Elf:1: (  Vaults:1: [

Portals:
Hell: D:21 D:22
Abyss: D:21
Pandemonium: D:21
Trove: D:20 (give wand of heal wounds (9))

Annotations
D:7 exclusion: oklob plant
D:12 exclusions: oklob plant and oklob sapling

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You are agile (Dex +1).

Message History

The orb of energy hits the black mamba.
The black mamba is heavily wounded.
Casting: Iskenderun's Mystic Blast
Confirm with . or Enter, or press ? or * to list all spells.
Aiming: Iskenderun's Mystic Blast
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - black mamba
Aim: a black mamba (heavily wounded)
The orb of energy hits the black mamba.
You kill the black mamba!
Vehumet accepts your kill.
You feel your power returning.
There is an open gate here.
You see here a serpentine rune of Zot.
You pick up the serpentine rune and feel its power.
Press } to see all the runes you have collected.
t - 3 meat rations (gained 1)
You see here a black mamba corpse.
You see here a black mamba corpse.

#.[§˜˜˜########§§˜...##.....##.....#
..˜˜§###......###˜˜˜.)##...###...###
%˜˜˜##..........##§˜§..###.##..##.#
˜˜˜##...).%..)%..##˜§˜..##....#####
˜§##.)))######....##˜˜˜.[##...#
˜##...###....###...##˜˜˜..##..#
##...##.....§..##...##˜˜...#..#
#...##.§˜˜˜˜§˜..##...#˜%...#..#
##..#.§˜˜˜˜˜˜§˜§§#...%.)...##.#
.%###%˜˜˜˜˜˜˜§˜§.##############
).##..˜§§˜˜˜˜˜˜§.§###...##
.).#.˜˜§§˜˜˜§§§˜§.##.....##
...'.˜§§§§˜˜§§§˜§.'...@...#
^..#.˜§§§˜˜˜˜˜§˜˜.'.......#
..##.˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜§§˜˜.'.......#
.###..˜˜˜˜˜˜˜§§§..##.....##
## ##.§§§§˜˜˜§§˜.####...##
    #.§§§§§˜˜˜˜..#  #####
    ##..§˜§˜˜˜..##
     ##...§....##
      ###....###
        ######

There are no monsters in sight!

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Long sword        |       |       |       |     5 |       |       |       |       ||     5
       Staff             |       |       |       |       |     5 |     1 |     3 |       ||     9
 Cast: Magic Dart        |    81 |   145 |   122 |    98 |    88 |    11 |     4 |       ||   549
       Iskenderun's Myst |       |    17 |   127 |   433 |   940 |   130 |    72 |    20 ||  1739
       Iskenderun's Batt |       |     1 |    18 |   104 |   205 |    53 |    87 |    21 ||   489
       Fireball          |       |       |       |    10 |   122 |    67 |    33 |     1 ||   233
       Repel Missiles    |       |       |       |       |    10 |    32 |    56 |     8 ||   106
       Delayed Fireball  |       |       |       |       |     6 |     2 |       |       ||     8
       Phase Shift       |       |       |       |       |     7 |    10 |    27 |     8 ||    52
       Bolt of Fire      |       |       |       |       |    54 |   452 |   569 |    90 ||  1165
       Controlled Blink  |       |       |       |       |     6 |    10 |    18 |     1 ||    35
       Apportation       |       |       |       |       |     1 |     1 |     4 |       ||     6
       Animate Skeleton  |       |       |       |       |       |    60 |    24 |     6 ||    90
       Fire Storm        |       |       |       |       |       |     4 |    69 |    49 ||   122
       Ring of Flames    |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |     7 |       ||     8
       Orb of Destructio |       |       |       |       |       |       |    21 |    21 ||    42
 Abil: Release Delayed F |       |       |       |       |     5 |     2 |       |       ||     7
Evoke: Wand              |       |     1 |     1 |     7 |     5 |     6 |     5 |       ||    25
  Use: Potion            |       |     3 |     6 |    11 |     6 |     3 |     5 |       ||    34
       Scroll            |       |       |    12 |    12 |    14 |     6 |    17 |     1 ||    62

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 03:31

Re: CIP DECJ: Got my first rune

I wouldn't wear that armor, just a robe or leather armor with a resistance would be better. You've probably seen one laying around by now.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 05:57

Well, you saw D:22 before hitting Snake. That's fine. I do say visit D:27 first but that's to emphasise "you don't need runes before Zot" and "you can skip the EXP content of those 2 non-Slime Lair branches by diving them later on".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 06:19

Psieye wrote:Well, you saw D:22 before hitting Snake. That's fine. I do say visit D:27 first but that's to emphasise "you don't need runes before Zot" and "you can skip the EXP content of those 2 non-Slime Lair branches by diving them later on".

I usually visit D27 before Lair branches too but yesterday I learned it really depends on character. For some Spider/Swamp can be easier than D24 and I am glad I didn't dive in those, finding 5 id scrolls on Spider 3 was very helpful.

Sorted, I am surpised you have so many scrolls in inventory without conservation. I think you can leave some scrolls (including all silence scrolls) on the ground.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 19:28

Don't forget about your delayed fireball. Unlike casting a spell, using it doesn't take any time or MP, it's 100% free damage. You should use it often!

No Haste? No Swiftness?

Train a bit more fighting and dodging, and try to wear fire and cold resistance (not really needed in shoals, though). Dragon breath and the ranged attacks from giants really hurt and you have rather low HP.

Also you could do Crypt.

Keep in mind that Firestorm is incredibly loud. If you are low on mana or health after using it, retreat a bit before resting, because more monsters will be coming.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 19:32

I just want to push back on this D:27 before any rune branches stuff...if you're a caster with decent HP, rPois, and Freezing Cloud online, then the first 4 levels of Snake are basically free EXP. Are you a MfEn with deflect missiles? Then Shoals is free exp.

Sure, generally you should work the dungeon pretty hard before going into rune branches, and you should wait until you need them to go for runes, but D:25 is WAY, WAY, more dangerous than Snake:2 if you're equipped correctly.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 19:50

I just looked through all my books and I don't have the swiftness or Haste spell, I don't have the Deflect Missile spell either, which is the one I am hoping to find somewhere, sometime, somehow.

Maybe I need to rethink my tactics, because earlier I was thinking of forgetting fireball and delayed fireball as I never use them. I am a big chicken when it comes to fighting. I firestorm or OOD everything and stay close to the stairs. I am playing a little game with myself where if I ever have to C. Blink, use a tele scroll, or use a blink scroll, then I basically made a tactical error that could have killed me so I work hard not to let it happen again. One issue I have is many of the places I am visiting I have never seen before, once I get familiar with a place I loosen up as circumstances allow, but I am quite focused on not getting myself killed this run.

When I do Crypt do I go all the way to the bottom, and is it 5 floors? I think my last game ended when I went to lvl 5 of vaults and was surrounded by baddies. I kept stair lifting them, but then after the 8th or 9th stairlift a tentacled monstrocity got hold of me and ended that run. Is Crypt safe to do all the way to the bottom? I think my biggest fear with Crypt is I saw a silence ghost or something once, and the last thing I want is to be silenced.

Galefury wrote:Don't forget about your delayed fireball. Unlike casting a spell, using it doesn't take any time or MP, it's 100% free damage. You should use it often!

No Haste? No Swiftness?

Train a bit more fighting and dodging, and try to wear fire and cold resistance (not really needed in shoals, though). Dragon breath and the ranged attacks from giants really hurt and you have rather low HP.

Also you could do Crypt.

Keep in mind that Firestorm is incredibly loud. If you are low on mana or health after using it, retreat a bit before resting, because more monsters will be coming.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 20:11

Yes, crypt has silent spectres. You could just try to avoid them. Also, most (all?) ranged monsters in crypt are spellcasters, so you can usually just run away and out of the silence field once you see something dangerous. A teleport wand or ring is recommended, because a lot of escape mechanisms wont work in silence. The silence may actually even help you if you can fight well without spells. Of course it's better to have some basic melee capabilities to deal with easy monsters, otherwise the silent spectres will be extremely annoying. Staff of fire can be nice if you have one, you just have to train a few levels of evo and staves to make it useful. And it would also provide a resist and extra casting power for your fire spells. Staff acquirement will often provide one.

Also crypt is usually cleared to the bottom. The end vault can be quite dangerous and there's no rune, just lots of exp and some loot, so there's no need to clear it. But Crypt is usually quite a bit easier than similarly lucrative alternatives.

There's no need to look through your spellbooks to find out if you have access to a spell, you can just search for it with ctrl-F. Also check out the ingame help for ctrl-F, it's extremely useful.

You can see how many floors a branch has in the ctrl-O screen. The bottom floor is generally much more dangerous than the rest.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 20:34

mrbobbyg wrote:I just want to push back on this D:27 before any rune branches stuff...if you're a caster with decent HP, rPois, and Freezing Cloud online, then the first 4 levels of Snake are basically free EXP. Are you a MfEn with deflect missiles? Then Shoals is free exp.

Sure, generally you should work the dungeon pretty hard before going into rune branches, and you should wait until you need them to go for runes, but D:25 is WAY, WAY, more dangerous than Snake:2 if you're equipped correctly.

Aye, and I'm fairly certain it's possible to build a character who can do Elf:3 safely after coming out of Lair+Orc. Certainly Elf:1~2 can be done by that point with appropriate builds. Heck, look at me regularly venturing into Dis before stepping into D:22.

But the "D:27 before rune branches" advice is a general guideline for newbies. Keep it simple, even if it's intentionally a bit inaccurate. Snake is also the ONE non-Slime Lair branch that doesn't screw you over with unusual terrain. It just hits you very hard with pArrow and crack-speed snakes if you aren't prepared for them.

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks:
mrbobbyg

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 22:38

How would you imagine doing the Elf 3 vault on a level 13-16 character? Ely or Fedhas?

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 02:48

OK, here is my current situation, looking for more advice. I went and got the swamp rune. Other than having to deal with alot of steam every time I fired a bolt of fire or firestorm it was pretty easy to secure.

I then went Crypt, but I didn't have a way to deal with the silent spectre's, so I left and went back to the dungeon and then started building up evocations.

I found this nice blowgun with rF++ and rC++ so I equipped it. Would it be worth training up the blowgun for situations like the silent spectre? My current plan is to carry a few wands around.

Code:

Sorted the Archmage (Deep Elf Conjurer)           Turns: 108252, Time: 08:35:10

HP 151/151       AC 16     Str  9      XL: 25   Next: 39%
MP  50/50        EV 29     Int 31      God: Vehumet [******]
Gold 2799        SH 13     Dex 19      Spells: 17 memorised,  8 levels left

Res.Fire  : + + .   See Invis. : +   i - +3 blowgun "Jarausoo" {evade, rF++ rC++}
Res.Cold  : + + .   Warding    : .   e - +6 mottled dragon armour
Life Prot.: + . .   Conserve   : .   a - +1 elf buckler
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : .   A - +1 wizard hat of Nobility {+Inv rN+}
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : .   B - -1 elf cloak
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   z - +1 pair of boots

@: delayed fireball, very resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
a: Renounce Religion, Release Delayed Fireball, Evoke Invisibility
}: 2/15 runes: decaying, serpentine

You are on level 25 of the Dungeon.
You worship Vehumet.
You are completely stuffed.

You have visited 9 branches of the dungeon, and seen 58 of its levels.

You have collected 4986 gold pieces.
You have spent 2207 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 i - the +3 blowgun "Jarausoo" (weapon) {evade, rF++ rC++}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 22 of the Dungeon)   

It affects your evasion (+5 to EV).

It greatly protects you from fire.
   It greatly protects you from cold.
Armour
 e - a +6 mottled dragon armour (worn)
 z - a +1 pair of boots (worn)
 A - the +1 wizard hat of Nobility (worn) {+Inv rN+}
   (You found it on level 1 of the Swamp)   

It protects you from negative energy.
   It lets you turn invisible.
 B - a -1 elven cloak (worn)
 M - a +2 robe of magic resistance
Magical devices
 v - a wand of fireball (2)
 x - a wand of teleportation {zapped: 1}
 K - a wand of draining {zapped: 3}
 L - a wand of digging
 Q - a wand of disintegration {recharged}
Comestibles
 l - an apple
 t - 3 meat rations
 D - a choko
 F - 4 sultanas
 G - a bread ration
 H - a rotting chunk of orc flesh
Scrolls
 c - a scroll of summoning
 d - 9 scrolls of teleportation
 h - 4 scrolls of remove curse
 k - 11 scrolls of identify
 m - a scroll of blinking
 n - 5 scrolls of magic mapping
 o - a scroll of enchant weapon III
 q - a scroll of enchant armour
 s - a scroll of fog
 w - a scroll of recharging
 T - a scroll of fear
Jewellery
 g - an uncursed amulet of conservation
 p - an uncursed ring of poison resistance
 r - an uncursed amulet of resist corrosion
 J - a +2 ring of dexterity

[ring of strength]
Potions
 b - a potion of restore abilities
 j - 7 potions of speed
 u - a potion of heal wounds
 E - 3 potions of magic
 I - 2 potions of invisibility
 P - 4 potions of curing
Magical staves
 f - an uncursed staff of wizardry

Skills:
 * Level 14.1 Fighting
 - Level 15.0 Dodging
 - Level 2.4 Stealth
 - Level 5.4 Shields
 - Level 5.2 Traps
 O Level 27 Spellcasting
 + Level 21.4 Conjurations
 + Level 21.4 Fire Magic
 - Level 12.0 Evocations

You have 8 spell levels left.

c - Fireball              Conj/Fire      #########.   0%          5    None
f - Bolt of Fire          Conj/Fire      #########.   1%          6    None
h - Fire Storm            Conj/Fire      #########.   3%          9    ####...
k - Ring of Flames        Chrm/Fire      ########..   10%         7    None
m - Control Teleport      Chrm/Tloc      #######...   1%          4    None
n - Flight                Chrm/Air       ######....   1%          3    None
q - Controlled Blink      Tloc           N/A          3%          7    None
w - Delayed Fireball      Conj/Fire      N/A          1%          7    None

Branches:
Dungeon (25/27)            Temple (1/1) D:5             Orc (4/4) D:10
    Elf (3/3) Orc:3          Lair (8/8) D:12          Swamp (5/5) Lair:4
  Blade (0/1) Vaults:4      Crypt (3/5) Vaults:2   
  Tomb: Crypt:2-3   

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
the Shining One
Beogh
Jiyva

Shops:
D:4: +/(  D:9: (  D:10: *  D:14: !+  D:22: (  D:25: (  Orc:1: *%  Orc:3: *  Orc:4: *[=(  Elf:1: (  Vaults:1: [

Portals:
Hell: D:21 D:22 D:23 D:24 D:25
Abyss: D:21 D:23 D:24 D:25
Pandemonium: D:21 D:24

Annotations
D:12 exclusions: oklob plant and oklob sapling

You are agile (Dex +1).

Message History

You feel agile.
J - a +2 ring of dexterity (right hand)
Put on which piece of jewellery? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
Wearing an uncursed ring of see invisible.
You're wearing two rings. Remove which one? (N/J/</>/Esc)
 < or N - the ring of Blaur {Str+2 Dex+3}
 > or J - a +2 ring of dexterity
You remove your +2 ring of dexterity.
You feel clumsy.
Partly explored, can't reach some items.
Partly explored, can't reach some items.
Move the cursor to view the level map, or type ? for a list of commands.
Returning to the game...
Drink which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
Okay, then.
Welcome back, Sorted the Deep Elf Conjurer.
Vehumet says: Let it end in hellfire!
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.
Char dumped to 'C:/Users/Michael/AppData/Roaming/crawl/morgue/Sorted.txt'.

#####
                                       #....
                  ########             #.###
###################......#########     #.#
)#>..(.(.................'.......#     #.#
.#.#####)%.....###.......#######>#     #.#
.#.#   #.(##.........###.#     #.#     #.#
.#.#   #.#(####...####@#.#     #.#     #.#
.#.#####.##%)(#####...##.#     #.#     #.#
.#.##.....#..().......#..#     #.#     #.#
.#.##.....#..#.....#..#..#     #.#     #.#
.#§##.....##.)#####..##..#     #.#     #.#
.#.##......#(.#####..#..##     #.#######.#
.#.##......#.)##.....#..#      #.........#
.#.##......#..##.##..#..##     #.###########
##.##.....##..##.##..##.)#     #.#  #.......
 #.....[..#..#.....#..#..#     #.#  #.######
 #.##.....#...........#..#     #.#  #.#.....
 #.##....##...#####...##.#     #(####.#.####
##.##....#.####...####.#.#     #.#....#.#

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 | 25-27 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Long sword        |       |       |       |     5 |       |       |       |       |       ||     5
       Staff             |       |       |       |       |     5 |     1 |     3 |     2 |       ||    11
 Cast: Magic Dart        |    81 |   145 |   122 |    98 |    88 |    11 |     4 |     7 |     1 ||   557
       Iskenderun's Myst |       |    17 |   127 |   433 |   940 |   130 |    72 |   163 |     1 ||  1883
       Iskenderun's Batt |       |     1 |    18 |   104 |   205 |    53 |    87 |    73 |     1 ||   542
       Fireball          |       |       |       |    10 |   122 |    67 |    33 |     2 |       ||   234
       Repel Missiles    |       |       |       |       |    10 |    32 |    56 |    20 |     6 ||   124
       Delayed Fireball  |       |       |       |       |     6 |     2 |       |     1 |       ||     9
       Phase Shift       |       |       |       |       |     7 |    10 |    27 |    12 |       ||    56
       Bolt of Fire      |       |       |       |       |    54 |   452 |   569 |   376 |    47 ||  1498
       Controlled Blink  |       |       |       |       |     6 |    10 |    18 |    17 |     4 ||    55
       Apportation       |       |       |       |       |     1 |     1 |     4 |     1 |       ||     7
       Animate Skeleton  |       |       |       |       |       |    60 |    24 |     6 |       ||    90
       Fire Storm        |       |       |       |       |       |     4 |    69 |   215 |    26 ||   314
       Ring of Flames    |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |     7 |     1 |       ||     9
       Orb of Destructio |       |       |       |       |       |       |    21 |    85 |       ||   106
       Flight            |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    28 |       ||    28
       Blink             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     2 |       ||     2
       Control Teleport  |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
 Abil: Release Delayed F |       |       |       |       |     5 |     2 |       |     1 |       ||     8
Evoke: Wand              |       |     1 |     1 |     7 |     5 |     6 |     5 |    12 |       ||    37
  Use: Potion            |       |     3 |     6 |    11 |     6 |     3 |     5 |     1 |       ||    35
       Scroll            |       |       |    12 |    12 |    14 |     6 |    17 |    16 |     1 ||    78

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 03:38

Just bring along a wand or two for the spectres.. no training required.
Or if you have found a nice one-handed weapon, invest your XP there instead.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 06:05

Put these items on the ground:
  Code:
o - a scroll of enchant weapon III
 q - a scroll of enchant armour

You do not have conservation and they can be destroyed easily.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 07:07

The blowgun doesn't ever do any damage, it just inflicts a status effect - which all undead are immune to.

How would you imagine doing the Elf 3 vault on a level 13-16 character? Ely or Fedhas?
I was imagining an SpEE with earth elementals, some other emergency summon and LRD, optimally with a lucky haste wand find or maybe a cloud rod. Not something you can reliably aim for - hence why I said 'possibly'.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 12:04

That is a really nice blowgun. It also has the added ability of preventing you from accidentally meleeing monsters as well. Good find!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 12:13

mrbobbyg wrote:That is a really nice blowgun. It also has the added ability of preventing you from accidentally meleeing monsters as well. Good find!

You can use inscription "!a" to prevent accidental meleeing.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 15:47

Finish D.

You might also want to do Elf:3, hoping to get Haste and Swiftness. Just be very careful, you are safe from fire and ice attacks, but not from lightning and physical attacks and draining. Remember that there are a lot of elves down there. Really, a lot of them, and they are much stronger than the ones on the upper floors. Firestorm will kill them with extreme ease, but will also make all the elves come to you. Switch positions before resting if you used firestorm. Also there's always a chokepoint before the end vault. If you are lucky there even is a moat the elves cant cross. Use the chokepoint to your advantage.

Finally you can get the silver rune from Vaults. You can avoid the ambush with cblink or a controlled teleport. There's a lot of powerful monsters down there, and firestorm will make them come to you. Either fight near the stairs (you might get overwhelmed), or try to keep moving while using less noisy spells. Mapping and controlled teleports are also a great way to get around V:5. V:5 is pretty fun.

You could also get the slimy rune instead (or additionally, if you want). Slime is not that hard if you know what you're doing (which you dont) and have the right equipment for it. Amulets of rCorr, rMut and Clarity are useful. Wear rCorr so you don't get killed by acid attacks and your equipment doesn't get ruined, swap to rMut against shining eyes (or instantly firebolt/firestorm them) and to Clarity against golden eyes (these come in groups). It's good to wear backup equipment that you don't mind getting corroded (also artifacts and items with +5 or higher enchantment are immune). Never stand next to walls, they hurt you. They hurt you a lot on the lower levels. The end boss of slime spawns lots of powerful jellies when damaged. Firestorm is your friend. Careful, the royal jelly and some slimes are fast, so you definitely want haste and swiftness for this fight.

Drop your ring of Dex+2. Do you have any nice rings?

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 17:17

I did Crypt all the way down to 5. I don't know how to copy the game message log, but when in crypt 5 I kept getting messages like
"You hear a distant zot x 12"
"You hear a distant zot x10"

It kept saying that with crazy high numbers. It also seemed like that floor didn't have that many baddies for a bottom floor. Did they all die in a zot trap?

I did Elf 3 about an hour ago thinking it had a rune in it. It was pretty easy with FireStorm, but no rune :( I did get the moat map with the chokepoint. maybe that is why it was so easy, I just spammed Firestorm in the chokepoint until they quit coming out.

Last game I played I had tons of good rings, but this game I got basically zilch good rings.

I can go slime, hall of blades, tomb, or bottom of vaults for third rune. I am leveling up shatter right now, I figure if I do that I can go into vaults and kill the surround. I might follow your advice for slime though as I have all those amulets in my stash.

Armor question: If I raise up armor would I be able to wear splint or some higher lvl armor and have it not affect my spell casting? If so, how do I determine how much I need to raise it?

Is a +2 rN robe better than my +6 motted dragon armor?

I used the Ctrl+F function and found swiftness in a store, but still no haste, thanks for the tip.

Would it be a mistake to go into the abyss, hell, or pandemonium? I got banished to the Abyss once this game early level but fortunately there was an exit door in site. And if I do go into them, do I need to bring food with me?

Code:

Sorted the Archmage (Deep Elf Conjurer)           Turns: 125637, Time: 09:52:36

HP 164/164       AC 19     Str  9      XL: 27
MP  50/50        EV 29     Int 32      God: Vehumet [******]
Gold 3515        SH 13     Dex 19      Spells: 18 memorised,  4 levels left

Res.Fire  : + + .   See Invis. : +   i - +3 blowgun "Jarausoo" {evade, rF++ rC++}
Res.Cold  : + + +   Warding    : .   e - +6 mottled dragon armour
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : .   A - +1 wizard hat of Nobility {+Inv rN+}
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : .   M - +1 elf cloak
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   B - +0 pair of boots "Nyekyena" {rC++}

@: delayed fireball, very resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
a: Renounce Religion, Release Delayed Fireball, Evoke Invisibility
}: 2/15 runes: decaying, serpentine

You are on level 2 of the Elven Halls.
You worship Vehumet.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 9 branches of the dungeon, and seen 62 of its levels.

You have collected 6157 gold pieces.
You have spent 2662 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons

Armour

B - the +0 pair of boots "Nyekyena" (worn) {rC++}
   (You found it on level 4 of the Crypt)   

M - a +1 elven cloak (worn)
Magical devices
 b - a wand of disintegration (12)
 f - a wand of digging
 l - a wand of fire
 q - a wand of lightning (9)
 s - a wand of draining
 v - a wand of fireball (2)
 x - a wand of teleportation {zapped: 1}
 z - a wand of confusion
 D - a wand of lightning
 K - a wand of draining {zapped: 3}
 L - a wand of digging
 Q - a wand of disintegration (4)
Comestibles
 t - 3 meat rations
 R - a pear
 U - a banana
Scrolls
 c - a scroll of recharging
 d - 8 scrolls of teleportation
 h - 5 scrolls of remove curse
 k - 3 scrolls of identify
 n - 4 scrolls of magic mapping
 u - a scroll of summoning
 T - a scroll of fear
Jewellery
 o - a ring of sustain abilities
 p - an uncursed ring of protection from fire

[ring of strength]
Potions
 j - 6 potions of speed
 E - 4 potions of magic
 I - 3 potions of invisibility
 P - 4 potions of curing
Books
 m - a manual of Hexes
 w - the Handbook of the Unstable Rocks
   (You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)   

Stoneskin                          Transmutation/Earth          2
   Passwall                           Transmutation/Earth          3
   Petrify                            Transmutation/Earth          4
   *Shatter                           Earth                        9
 F - a book of the Dragon   

*Flight                            Charms/Air                   3
   Cause Fear                         Hexes                        4
   *Bolt of Fire                      Conjuration/Fire             6
   Dragon Form                        Fire/Transmutation           7
   Summon Dragon                      Summoning                    9
Magical staves
 r - an uncursed staff of fire

Skills:
 - Level 15.0 Fighting
 - Level 6.0 Armour
 - Level 15.0 Dodging
 - Level 2.4 Stealth
 - Level 5.4 Shields
 - Level 5.2 Traps
 O Level 27 Spellcasting
 - Level 23.3 Conjurations
 - Level 6.2 Necromancy
 - Level 23.3 Fire Magic
 + Level 8.4 Earth Magic
 - Level 12.0 Evocations

You have 4 spell levels left.

c - Shatter               Erth           ########..   99%         9    ####...
f - Bolt of Fire          Conj/Fire      #########.   0%          6    None
h - Fire Storm            Conj/Fire      #########.   2%          9    ####...
k - Ring of Flames        Chrm/Fire      ########..   4%          7    None
m - Control Teleport      Chrm/Tloc      #######...   1%          4    None
n - Flight                Chrm/Air       ######....   1%          3    None
o - Cure Poison           Pois           ######....   1%          2    None
p - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       ######....   1%          2    None
q - Controlled Blink      Tloc           N/A          2%          7    None

Branches:
Dungeon (27/27)            Temple (1/1) D:5             Orc (4/4) D:10
  Blade (0/1) Vaults:4      Crypt (5/5) Vaults:2       Tomb (0/3) Crypt:3
    Zot (0/5) D:27       

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
the Shining One
Beogh
Jiyva

Shops:
D:4: +/(  D:9: (  D:10: *  D:14: !+  D:22: (  D:25: (  Orc:1: *%  Orc:3: *  Orc:4: *[=(  Elf:1: (  Vaults:1: [

Portals:
Hell: D:21 D:22 D:23 D:24 D:25 D:26 D:27
Pandemonium: D:21 D:24

You are agile (Dex +1).

Message History

(D) Dungeon        (T) Temple         (O) Orcish Mines   (E) Elven Halls   
(L) Lair           (S) Swamp          (P) Snake Pit      (M) Slime Pits     
(V) Vaults         (B) Hall of Blades (C) Crypt          (W) Tomb           
(U) Hell           (Z) Zot           
Where to? (? - help)
Okay, then.
(D) Dungeon        (T) Temple         (O) Orcish Mines   (E) Elven Halls   
(L) Lair           (S) Swamp          (P) Snake Pit      (M) Slime Pits     
(V) Vaults         (B) Hall of Blades (C) Crypt          (W) Tomb           
(U) Hell           (Z) Zot           
Where to? (? - help)
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
Char dumped to 'C:/Users/Michael/AppData/Roaming/crawl/morgue/Sorted.txt'.

#####
 #...#
 #.(.#
 #...#                ##
 #...##################.
 #@...................).
 #....#################.
 ##.#[..................
  #.#...[###############
  #.#....#   #.......)..
  #.#....#   #..........
  #.#....#####......f...
  #.....................
  #.#.#.######..........
  #.#.#.#    #########(.
  #.#.#.#            #^.
  #.#.#.#           ##..
###.#.#)#############...

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 | 25-27 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Long sword        |       |       |       |     5 |       |       |       |       |       ||     5
       Staff             |       |       |       |       |     5 |     1 |     3 |     2 |       ||    11
       Blowgun           |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
 Cast: Magic Dart        |    81 |   145 |   122 |    98 |    88 |    11 |     4 |     7 |     3 ||   559
       Iskenderun's Myst |       |    17 |   127 |   433 |   940 |   130 |    72 |   163 |    21 ||  1903
       Iskenderun's Batt |       |     1 |    18 |   104 |   205 |    53 |    87 |    73 |     5 ||   546
       Fireball          |       |       |       |    10 |   122 |    67 |    33 |     2 |       ||   234
       Repel Missiles    |       |       |       |       |    10 |    32 |    56 |    20 |    22 ||   140
       Delayed Fireball  |       |       |       |       |     6 |     2 |       |     1 |       ||     9
       Phase Shift       |       |       |       |       |     7 |    10 |    27 |    12 |     1 ||    57
       Bolt of Fire      |       |       |       |       |    54 |   452 |   569 |   376 |   391 ||  1842
       Controlled Blink  |       |       |       |       |     6 |    10 |    18 |    17 |    13 ||    64
       Apportation       |       |       |       |       |     1 |     1 |     4 |     1 |       ||     7
       Animate Skeleton  |       |       |       |       |       |    60 |    24 |     6 |       ||    90
       Fire Storm        |       |       |       |       |       |     4 |    69 |   215 |   142 ||   430
       Ring of Flames    |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |     7 |     1 |       ||     9
       Orb of Destructio |       |       |       |       |       |       |    21 |    85 |    36 ||   142
       Flight            |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    28 |     2 ||    30
       Blink             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     2 |       ||     2
       Control Teleport  |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |     1 ||     2
 Abil: Release Delayed F |       |       |       |       |     5 |     2 |       |     1 |       ||     8
Evoke: Wand              |       |     1 |     1 |     7 |     5 |     6 |     5 |    12 |     9 ||    46
       Miscellaneous     |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     4 ||     4
  Use: Potion            |       |     3 |     6 |    11 |     6 |     3 |     5 |     1 |     7 ||    42
       Scroll            |       |       |    12 |    12 |    14 |     6 |    17 |    16 |    16 ||    93

Galefury wrote:Finish D.

You might also want to do Elf:3, hoping to get Haste and Swiftness. Just be very careful, you are safe from fire and ice attacks, but not from lightning and physical attacks and draining. Remember that there are a lot of elves down there. Really, a lot of them, and they are much stronger than the ones on the upper floors. Firestorm will kill them with extreme ease, but will also make all the elves come to you. Switch positions before resting if you used firestorm. Also there's always a chokepoint before the end vault. If you are lucky there even is a moat the elves cant cross. Use the chokepoint to your advantage.

Finally you can get the silver rune from Vaults. You can avoid the ambush with cblink or a controlled teleport. There's a lot of powerful monsters down there, and firestorm will make them come to you. Either fight near the stairs (you might get overwhelmed), or try to keep moving while using less noisy spells. Mapping and controlled teleports are also a great way to get around V:5. V:5 is pretty fun.

You could also get the slimy rune instead (or additionally, if you want). Slime is not that hard if you know what you're doing (which you dont) and have the right equipment for it. Amulets of rCorr, rMut and Clarity are useful. Wear rCorr so you don't get killed by acid attacks and your equipment doesn't get ruined, swap to rMut against shining eyes (or instantly firebolt/firestorm them) and to Clarity against golden eyes (these come in groups). It's good to wear backup equipment that you don't mind getting corroded (also artifacts and items with +5 or higher enchantment are immune). Never stand next to walls, they hurt you. They hurt you a lot on the lower levels. The end boss of slime spawns lots of powerful jellies when damaged. Firestorm is your friend. Careful, the royal jelly and some slimes are fast, so you definitely want haste and swiftness for this fight.

Drop your ring of Dex+2. Do you have any nice rings?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 17:31

"You hear a distant zot" means something stepped on a Zot trap. Zot traps never trigger for enemies, only on you (even if it's the enemy stepping on them to trigger it on you!), so it may just be the same monster walking back and forth.

+6 MDA is much better than a +2 robe. The fact it has rN is irrelevant.

Abyss/Pan has permafood on the floor, but it's good to bring a bit of your own. Hell... while there are edible corpses occasionally, bring food. On the other hand, you usually don't want ot stay around in Hell that long for food to be much issue anyway (unless you have big spell hunger issues). Whether it's a mistake to go into extended or not is more up to you and your player skills/knowledge. Slime should be fine.

Casting shatter to clear the V:5 welcome party is definitely going to invite all the uber badasses who live in the quadrants. I suppose if you do it, then ditch the floor for 10k+ turns then it might be one way to do it but just be aware that making epic noise at the centre of V:5 will attract serious badasses.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 19:32

Shatter is louder than firestorm. Way louder. IIRC it is the loudest spell in the game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 19:53

Shatter not only makes noise at the player's location, but also wherever it destroys walls. There are individual sounds that are louder (shield of the gong, for instance), but shatter certainly kicks up the biggest ruckus.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 20:04

No need to cast shatter on V:5. You have control teleport And blink. Cast control teleport, then cast blink to move to the corner of the floor. There aren't much monsters in the outer periphery, so you can approach the stairs from there, and then retreat once there's too much mobs coming for you.

Also, you might want to pick up crystal ball at some point if you want to go for extended and train evocation up to 27. It really helps with mp management.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 00:24

Well, I didn't quite win, but I did learn alot. Ancient Lich's are real SOB's and Orb of Fire's give you mutations. I was slowly clearing the last level of Zot then I got the idea to use shatter. I should have either not used shatter or else been standing on the stairs when I used it. I got a few enemies coming all at once, but the dangerous one turned out to be the lich that beat me up. Next time I am going to find some elec resistance too.

If I would have realized I was being mutated, would have went and found a cure mutation right away, didn't realize that happened til looking at morgue file.

Code:

745230 Sorted the Archmage (level 27, -16/171 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Elf Conjurer on Apr 20, 2013.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Killed from afar by an ancient lich (57 damage)
             ... with an iron shot

... on Level 5 of the Realm of Zot on Apr 24, 2013.
             The game lasted 11:43:08 (152826 turns).

Sorted the Archmage (Deep Elf Conjurer)           Turns: 152826, Time: 11:43:08

HP -16/171       AC 17     Str 13      XL: 27
MP   6/45        EV 31     Int 37      God: Vehumet [******]
Gold 5851        SH 14     Dex 21      Spells: 15 memorised,  0 levels left

Res.Cold  : + + +   Warding    : .   e - +6 mottled dragon armour
Res.Poison: +       Res.Corr.  : .   A - +1 wizard hat of Nobility {+Inv rN+}
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : .   z - -1 cloak of the Gate {rPois Dam+4 SInv Cur
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   B - +0 pair of boots "Nyekyena" {rC++}
Res.Rott. : .       Ctrl.Telep.: x   C - amulet of the gourmand
Gourmand  : +       Flight     : .   q - ring of Hyimuy {Str+4 Dex+2 Int+3}

@: slow, very resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
A: deterioration 1, -10% hp, -10% mp, slowness 1, Int +2, Dex +1
a: Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, silver

You were on level 5 of the Realm of Zot.
You worshipped Vehumet.
Vehumet was exalted by your worship.
You were completely stuffed.

You visited 11 branches of the dungeon, and saw 69 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 1 time.

You collected 8913 gold pieces.
You spent 3082 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons

Armour
 z - the -1 cloak of the Gate (worn) {rPois Dam+4 SInv Curse}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Vaults)   

It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
   It protects you from poison.
   It enhances your eyesight.
   It may recurse itself.

B - the +0 pair of boots "Nyekyena" (worn) {rC++}
   (You found it on level 4 of the Crypt)   

Magical devices
 b - a wand of disintegration (7)
 x - a wand of teleportation (0)
 D - a wand of lightning (2)
 J - a wand of disintegration (11)
 L - a wand of digging (8)
 Q - a wand of disintegration (1)
Comestibles
 f - 3 bread rations
 m - 3 chokos
 s - an apple
 t - 4 meat rations
 w - 3 slices of pizza
 H - a royal jelly
 K - 16 grapes
 X - 2 strawberries
Scrolls
 c - a scroll of fog
 h - 2 scrolls of remove curse
 k - 2 scrolls of identify
 n - a scroll of teleportation
 M - a scroll of enchant weapon I
Jewellery
 o - an uncursed ring of sustain abilities
 p - an uncursed ring of protection from fire
 q - the ring of Hyimuy (right hand) {Str+4 Dex+2 Int+3}
   (You took it off a vault sentinel on level 5 of the Vaults)   

[ring of dexterity]
   It affects your dexterity (+2).
   It affects your intelligence (+3).

[ring of strength]
Potions
 j - 7 potions of speed
 l - a potion of porridge
 E - a potion of magic
 G - 2 potions of restore abilities
 I - a potion of invisibility
 O - a potion of flight
 P - 11 potions of curing
 R - a potion of might
 T - a potion of agility
Magical staves
 r - an uncursed staff of fire

Skills:
 + Level 24.5 Fighting
 - Level 6.0 Armour
 - Level 15.0 Dodging
 - Level 2.4 Stealth
 - Level 5.4 Shields
 - Level 5.2 Traps
 O Level 27 Spellcasting
 - Level 23.3 Conjurations
 - Level 12.6 Charms
 - Level 6.2 Necromancy
 - Level 23.3 Fire Magic
 - Level 20.2 Earth Magic
 - Level 12.0 Evocations

You couldn't memorise any spells.
You knew the following spells:

b - Orb of Destruction    Conj           #########.   1%          7    None
c - Shatter               Erth           #########.   3%          9    #......
e - Iskenderun's Battles  Conj/Chrm      #########    0%          4    None
f - Bolt of Fire          Conj/Fire      #########.   0%          6    None
h - Fire Storm            Conj/Fire      #########.   1%          9    #......
i - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       ########..   4%          6    None
k - Ring of Flames        Chrm/Fire      #########.   1%          7    None
l - Haste                 Chrm           ########.    1%          6    None
m - Control Teleport      Chrm/Tloc      ########..   1%          4    None
n - Flight                Chrm/Air       ########..   1%          3    None
o - Cure Poison           Pois           ######....   1%          2    None
q - Controlled Blink      Tloc           N/A          1%          7    None
r - Animate Dead          Necr           N/A          1%          4    None

Branches:
Dungeon (27/27)            Temple (1/1) D:5             Orc (4/4) D:10
  Snake (5/5) Lair:6        Slime (0/6) Lair:7       Vaults (5/5) D:18
  Blade (1/1) Vaults:4      Crypt (5/5) Vaults:2       Tomb (0/3) Crypt:3
    Zot (5/5) D:27       

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
the Shining One
Beogh
Jiyva

Shops:

Portals:
Hell: D:21 D:22 D:23 D:24 D:25 D:26 D:27
Pandemonium: D:21 D:24 D:27

You are agile (Dex +1).
Your mind is acute (Int +2).
Your body is slowly deteriorating.
You are frail (-10% HP).
Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP).
You cover ground slowly.

Message History

You feel your power returning.
The ancient lich points at you and mumbles some strange words.
You resist.
The Brimstone Fiend calls on the powers of darkness!
Your body is wracked with pain!
The ancient lich gestures at the surrounding area while chanting.
A storm dragon zombie comes into view.
The dead are flying!
The Brimstone Fiend calls on the powers of darkness!
Your body is wracked with pain!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The ancient lich casts a spell.
Drink which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You feel much better.
The hellion gestures at you.
The hellfire explodes! The burst of hellfire engulfs you!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The ancient lich points at you and mumbles some strange words.
The iron shot hits you!
You die...

####.......[......#
§§##.############.#
§......#        #.#
§˜˜˜.#.##########.#
˜˜˜˜.#.#........#.#
˜˜˜#.#.#.#####.##.#
˜˜##.#.#.#   #.##.#
####.#.#.### #.#8.#
   #.#.#...# #.#..#
####.#.###.###.#..###########
.....#.###...#.#............#
......)..........##########.###
.....#.#####.#....<...@.....2.#
####.#.# #.....#.#.########LZ##
   #(#.#######.#.#.#......#..#
 ###'#.......#.#.#.#.####.#..#
 #..(.....##.#.#.#.#.## #.#L.#
 #..).....##.....#....# #.#..#
 #........##.#.#...#..# #.#Z.#
 #........##.#........# #.#..#
 ###'##.####.###......# #.#1.#
####)#####.#..#.#.#.#####....##
...).#   #.......)..[.........#
######***##..###.#.L###########
.#   **,,,.......()..#*

You could see an ancient lich, a hellion and a storm dragon zombie.

Vanquished Creatures
  4 ancient liches
  5 orbs of fire
   Boris (thrice) (Vaults:4 D:25 D:26)

134652 | Vaults:5 | Got a silver rune of Zot
136199 | Zot:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Realm of Zot
139505 | D:27     | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
144464 | Zot:2    | Noticed a curse toe
144471 | Zot:2    | Killed a curse toe
144646 | Zot:3    | Noticed a Killer Klown
144655 | Zot:3    | Killed a Killer Klown
146380 | Zot:4    | Noticed an orb of fire
146384 | Zot:4    | Killed an orb of fire
147640 | Zot:5    | Entered Level 5 of the Realm of Zot
148351 | Zot:5    | Noticed a curse toe
148361 | Zot:5    | Killed a curse toe
148880 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
148890 | Zot:5    | Gained mutation: You are frail (-10% HP). [an orb of fire]
148892 | Zot:5    | Gained mutation: Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP). [an orb of fire]
148893 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
149629 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
149637 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
149783 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
149941 | Zot:5    | Noticed a Killer Klown
149951 | Zot:5    | Killed a Killer Klown
149968 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
149979 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
150124 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
150150 | Zot:5    | Gained mutation: Your body is slowly deteriorating. [an orb of fire]
150156 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
150164 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
150173 | Zot:5    | Gained mutation: You cover ground slowly. [an orb of fire]
150176 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
150234 | Zot:5    | Noticed a Killer Klown
150237 | Zot:5    | Killed a Killer Klown
150279 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
151158 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
151322 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
152543 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
152800 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
152826 | Zot:5    | Killed from afar by an ancient lich

Blowgun           |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
 Cast: Magic Dart        |    81 |   145 |   122 |    98 |    88 |    11 |     4 |     7 |     9 ||   565
       Iskenderun's Myst |       |    17 |   127 |   433 |   940 |   130 |    72 |   163 |    21 ||  1903
       Iskenderun's Batt |       |     1 |    18 |   104 |   205 |    53 |    87 |    73 |     5 ||   546
       Repel Missiles    |       |       |       |       |    10 |    32 |    56 |    20 |    32 ||   150
       Phase Shift       |       |       |       |       |     7 |    10 |    27 |    12 |    16 ||    72
       Bolt of Fire      |       |       |       |       |    54 |   452 |   569 |   376 |   970 ||  2421
       Controlled Blink  |       |       |       |       |     6 |    10 |    18 |    17 |    31 ||    82
       Fire Storm        |       |       |       |       |       |     4 |    69 |   215 |   290 ||   578
       Orb of Destructio |       |       |       |       |       |       |    21 |    85 |   220 ||   326
       Flight            |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    28 |     2 ||    30
       Control Teleport  |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |     2 ||     3
       Deflect Missiles  |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    29 ||    29
       Shatter           |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    27 ||    27
       Animate Dead      |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     8 ||     8
       Haste             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     2 ||     2
Evoke: Wand              |       |     1 |     1 |     7 |     5 |     6 |     5 |    12 |    36 ||    73
       Miscellaneous     |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     4 ||     4
  Use: Potion            |       |     3 |     6 |    11 |     6 |     3 |     5 |     1 |    13 ||    48
       Scroll            |       |       |    12 |    12 |    14 |     6 |    17 |    16 |    36 ||   113

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 00:48

Orb of Fire makes fire resistance and rMut a greatly needed requirement when entering zot:5.

Also, were you out of mp? If there were 4~5 enemies coming at me, especially in zot 5, I would have used firestorm.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 01:19

I can't read the ascii map too well, but when I used shatter I got baddies coming from all directions. I shattered 3 times, so I prob only had 2 firestorms, that wouldn't have been enough to defend myself. The one thing I didn't do that I am kicking myself for is I could have used C.Blink, even though it doesn't work perfect, it still gives you a directional blink, that prob would have been enough to get to the door. The other thing I should have done is shattered through the wall where I knew baddies where without a very clear path to the stairs. If I would have started my shatter while standing on the stairs, clearing out anybody that shows up, and then blowing out the vault wall when the outer corridor was all clear.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 06:31

Note that some parts of the orb chamber are permarock - i.e. cannot be shattered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 06:38

I think you should have used Haste also. You still had 6 mp.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 13:50

looking at the morgue file I used haste twice and I believe both times where when I memorized it and was testing the key settings. I need to think about it more and force myself to use it.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 26th April 2013, 12:22

Good run. You're getting better quite fast, I'm sure you'll have a win very soon.

I don't think you _have_ to have rMut for Zot:5... but you definitely need some cure mutation around if you don't. But don't use it wantonly, save them for particularly debilitating mutations like slow movement or teleportitis.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too