CIP: MfGl

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 11th April 2013, 16:31

CIP: MfGl

Hi, a few times I've attempted a 15-rune ending, but usually die very quickly due to something I just didn't foresee. I can rarely get a character back to the point of being able to attempt a 15-runer, so I figured I'd try to help my chances for survival by posting here for advice:

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/moose/moose.txt

Basic MfGl of The Shining One. I was hoping to get haste and controlled blink (2 spells I've never really used before) online, because everyone seems to rave about them in the endgame. Controlled Blink is almost there, and haste is reliable.

I find that things that torment are bringing me too close to death too often. Khufu's crew nearly wiped me, as did a pair of tormenters with a hellion that I encountered earlier. I mistakenly thought that TSO protected you from torment, but I seem to still be quite susceptible to it. I'm really afraid of what's going to happen if I make it to the Tomb. What is the strategy for multiple tormenting things on the screen? Run? Barge in and start spamming cleansing flame?

This is also the first time I've really played TSO, and would welcome any tips with him. I'm wearing an amulet of faith to maximize the usage of my divine abilities.

Would also appreciate advice on skills, spells I should be picking up at this point. I could go into ice for something like Obcobobbo's Refrigerator.

I also saw hellion island for the first time this game. I just entered LOS of it, and 2 turns later I was almost dead. I cant imaging how horrible it would be if I were actually ON that island! That place is no joke.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 11th April 2013, 19:11

Re: CIP: MfGl

Moose wrote:Obcobobbo's Refrigerator

Never calling it anything else.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 11th April 2013, 23:06

Re: CIP: MfGl

I treat tormentors like extremely dangerous and more annoying late-game orc priests. Use corners and whatever you can to break LOS, then wait for them to follow you. Getting into melee range will make them a bit less likely to torment you, to my understanding. With a good holy wrath weapon, you should be able to solve the problem by simply killing the tormentor as fast as possible. If you see more than one tormentor in sight, though, you should probably take steps to change that as quickly as possible. Don't freak out if your health gets low, though; Stay in control, retreat around a corner to break LOS, heal up, and then continue. Also, cleansing flame does great work if you're in a pinch, but be wary of just barging forward. That can cause more problems than it solves.

Also, the Shining One gives you three levels of negative energy resistance. Each of those levels shaves off torment damage by 5%. So you still lose 35% of your current HP per torment. I wouldn't really count on that for protection. The better way is to just have a great offensive, and a holy bardiche will do the trick.
Won Offline: NaFE(3), MiBe(3), HEIE(3), DsCj(3), MfSk(4), MfSk(15), DsIE(15).

I play online at crawl.s-z.org as Lyfon. There I have won: MfGl(15), NaTm(15), HEIE(15), HaAK(6), and NaDK(3).

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too