Post Sunday, 24th February 2013, 06:11

YAVP: So this is why everyone likes Firestorm

First off, this was an online win on https://crawl.s-z.org, so I'm not sure where the log of everything is. If someone could tell me where to find such things, that would be great, as I can then link to it. I think it's 44th place if that is important for finding it?
EDIT: Nevermind, here it is
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Wizzzargh/m ... 051122.txt

I played a High Elf Conjuror. It was online for one reason only- The Trunk for Mac didn't yet have the new book of Conjurations, and I really wanted to try out the new spells and the new Vehumet. The lag wasn't nearly as bad as I had heard people make it out to be, though- the only issues was trying to abort auto explore. Accidentally smash O? Three Floors Later- "Autoexplore stopped, key pressed." But I digress.

With my plan to examine both the new Book and God of Conjurations, I of course found an altar to Okawaru on, like, D2, so I converted to him instead. I figured that I would probably be splatting quite a few conjurers, so I might as well get the advantage of an early god on this guy, even if that god wasn't terribly exciting. Turns out, Brokawaru was an excellent choice, as his item drops and Heroism made me able to go from pure Conjurer to Archer Supreme(and then back to Annihilator in the lategame). It's been a while since I played with Oka, and I had forgotten how delicious Heroism is. (On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is a Choko and 10 is a Royal Jelly, Heroism is at least a 6).

As far as the new Conjurations Book goes, it's pretty cool, but not as reliable as Wz. Force Lance and Dazzling Spray suffered from the problem of 'I could try to knock this badguy away,' OR I could just kill'em. The Battlesphere, on the other hand, is like daaaammmmn. It made me go from Not-quite-enough MP when facing hordes of semi-beefy monsters to spamming mystic dart against Yak packs, and winning handily. It does drop off in power pretty quickly, AND I had great aptitudes for it, so I don't think it's overpowered. Fulminant Prism was a bit awkward to use with Okawaru, but it was pretty useful against pack enemies. It reminded me a lot of Orb of Destruction.

Anywho, into the midgame, I hadn't found many spells, so I started leaning pretty heavily on Oka-supported Archery- I had decent amount of Slaying. This and my great apts ensured that this new method worked just fine, and some Randart Longbows really shredded face. At some point, though, I found the Book of Annihilations in a Deep Troll Shaman(great new monster) and Stone Giant vault, so I started dumping XP into Conjurations and Fire, and though it took a while, Orb of Destruction and Bolt of Magma carried me to Firestorm without a hitch, at which point the game became "Wizzzargh's Point and Click Adventure." Holy crap that spell is ridiculous. After getting 4 runes and clearing Zot, I decided that Firestorm made Archery pretty redundant, and I dumped Oka for Vehumet for the improved range and MP recovery(I really didn't need his spells, at this point.) This was my first time using Firestorm ever... I now see why the Smite-Targeting makes it so much better than Ice Storm.

All* the Pan Lords and Hell Lords just died to Firestorm spam+ some evoked MP, except Cerebov. His castle had a moat of lava that we stared each other down over, and I hucked Orbs of Destruction while he hurled Firestorms right back, and I would retreat to regenerate via spell and ring, then return to wear him down more. He eventually decided to walk around the moat so I couldn't outheal him, but by that point he was weak enough that I finished him with some Firestorms of my own.
*I actually stabbed Antaeus, Dispater, and Asmodeus in the face with a Eudaemon Sword I found and enchanted in Holy Pan, but 99% of the damage was from Firestorm.

I did Tomb last because while I normally consider it a cakewalk compared to the Hells, I didn't have my usual tricks available, and I've heard horror stories of Firestorming Tomb:3 (I firestormed 4 greater mummies on Tomb:1 to test this theory, and then immediately went back to Magma Bolt+Orb of Destruction+Blessed Weaponry). I dodged the Tomb:2 ambush via teleports on Tomb 1 (Gogo Magic Mapping) and then just carefully stairdanced enough of Tomb 3 to let me apport the rune and leave without even checking the treasure rooms- I could've done it, but slightly fancier equipment doesn't make a 15 rune win worth more points(Which is a shame).

I was going to do a Ziggurat before doing the Hells because I've never entered a Zig legitimately, but it turned out to be a Ravenous Portal Mimic. Probably for the best.

So... yeah. I was hoping to find some crazy player ghosts online, but the only one I found was a low-level Hill Orc berserker. Online's pretty cool, although I felt pressured to be a good role model whenever a spectator showed up.
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?