53 honeycombs and 5 royal jellies after Lair -- a lot?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 9th February 2013, 05:15

53 honeycombs and 5 royal jellies after Lair -- a lot?

Hi,

I just cleared Lair for the first time, and emerged with a whopping 53 honeycombs and 5 royal jellies. Was I just lucky or is it normal to find that many? Those bee hives were really easy on this character, because I had an armor of poison resistance and an Arcane Familiar (0.12 spell for Coj), which made clearing the hives a cakewalk.

Having such an insane amount of great food appears to be very convenient; I will probably meet my demise way before I will use it all up.
It trolls you. Helpless, you fail to dodge its attack! It trolls you.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 9th February 2013, 05:17

Re: 53 honeycombs and 5 royal jellies after Lair -- a lot?

Quite lucky. 20 and two would be more likely. At least you won't have to worry about food for the rest of the game!
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 9th February 2013, 14:29

Gawd ! My best score is about 45 - 7 for the whole dungeon. Nice !

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 9th February 2013, 16:53

You're guaranteed a certain quota of 'food vaults' in the early- and mid-game. Bee rooms are one of these, and it's one of the only ones that can show up multiple times. You happened to get it several times, but this means you didn't get the stacks of multiple rations that you might have gotten in another food vault. It sure does seem like a lot, but that just goes to show how generous Crawl is with food.

That said, royal jellies are clearly the best food possible from those early food vaults, and you got quite a few, so it's probably fair to call it a lucky haul.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 9th February 2013, 16:59

Yeah, well, I didn't really show a lot of gratitude by being careful with this character. I died in the Spider Nest on level 3, which was really stupid and careless, because I was still standing on the staircase. It was even the second staircase I tried, because there was a unique at the first one. I did have 10 Stealth, so I could have safely retreated. Spider Nest gets really very difficult all of a sudden at level 3.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 9th February 2013, 17:35

KoboldLord wrote:You're guaranteed a certain quota of 'food vaults' in the early- and mid-game. Bee rooms are one of these, and it's one of the only ones that can show up multiple times. You happened to get it several times, but this means you didn't get the stacks of multiple rations that you might have gotten in another food vault. It sure does seem like a lot, but that just goes to show how generous Crawl is with food.

That said, royal jellies are clearly the best food possible from those early food vaults, and you got quite a few, so it's probably fair to call it a lucky haul.

Dude, that's 131,000 nutrition points. That's equivalent to almost thirty bread rations after Lair. Crawl is certainly not usually THAT generous with me! That might have happened to me once or twice in the entire time I've been playing; the net amount of food was extremely lucky. I might find that many in an entire 15-rune game!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 9th February 2013, 17:56

byrel wrote:Dude, that's 131,000 nutrition points. That's equivalent to almost thirty bread rations after Lair. Crawl is certainly not usually THAT generous with me! That might have happened to me once or twice in the entire time I've been playing; the net amount of food was extremely lucky. I might find that many in an entire 15-rune game!

I usually gear up for Zot with bread rations in the upper 20s and meat rations in the low teens. They'd be closer together, but I generally eat meat rations first in the off-chance I pick up a herbivore mutation from neqoxecs in the late-game.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 9th February 2013, 20:08

Really? That's a lot more than I usually have. I'm usually going into Zot with 10-12 rations left.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 11th February 2013, 18:52

More to the point, royal jellies are indestructible potions of restore ability, should the need arise.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th February 2013, 19:44

Stormfox wrote:More to the point, royal jellies are indestructible potions of restore ability, should the need arise.

The harpy union would like a word with you.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
Psieye

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 12:13

These foods were all found in the Lair main branch. I did not open any sub-branches. I think I haven't made that clear enough in the original post.

(Nobody asked, just think I should note it.)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 17:23

BlackSheep wrote:
Stormfox wrote:More to the point, royal jellies are indestructible potions of restore ability, should the need arise.

The harpy union would like a word with you.

What, you think I actually carry permafood into Shoals? What is this "harpy union" of which you speak?

(Point taken.)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too