Post Monday, 21st January 2013, 02:52

YASVP: Pitsprint in 855 turns

S for Sprint, of course. Pitsprint is new in 0.12 I think, I recommend playing it if you haven't, it's a lot of fun.

Code:
 Dungeon Sprint DCSS version 0.12-a0-1757-gcbcea53 (console) character file.

295175 crate the Bringer of Life (level 13, 82/201 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Dwarf Warper on Jan 20, 2013.
             Was the Champion of Elyvilon.
             Escaped with the Orb!
             The game lasted 00:09:20 (855 turns).

crate the Bringer of Life (Deep Dwarf Warper)        Turns: 855, Time: 00:09:21

HP  82/201       AC 10     Str 15      XL: 13   Next: 64%
MP  44/51        EV 15     Int 19      God: Elyvilon [******]
Gold 50          SH  0     Dex 12      Spells:  4 memorised, 13 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : .   a - +2,+0 mace (protect)
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : .   p - +0 leather armour
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .   (no shield)
Res.Poison: +       Res.Corr.  : .   (no helmet)
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : .   m - +0 orc cloak {rPois}
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : .   (no gloves)
Res.Mut.  : .       Prev.Telep.: +   (no boots)
Res.Rott. : .       Ctrl.Telep.: x   (no amulet)
Saprovore : . . .   Flight     : .   (no ring)
                                     (no ring)

@: non-regenerating, divinely vigorous, very slightly contaminated, wreathed by
umbra, quite resistant to hostile enchantments, very unstealthy
A: damage resistance, recharge devices, sense surroundings 2, slow healing 3
a: Device Recharging, Lesser Healing, Lesser Self-Healing, Divine Protection,
Purification, Greater Healing, Greater Self-Healing, Divine Vigour, Renounce
Religion

Full log: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/crate ... 214309.txt

So the incentive for this was st_ telling me that I should try a healer speedrun in pitsprint since I'd done a few clears where I killed all the dudes. My first attempts were HOHe (DDHe is clearly better but I would rather win as a hill orc if I can) and actually ended up using a route pretty similar to the one I used in this game (more on that later). I started off by clearing the entire Storeroom for xp/potions/armour, then moved straight to the Minivault (via the passage around the outside of the Grid Vault) for more xp and hopefully some useful items. This was all reasonably consistent, but then in Zot (or sometimes Vestibule if I got unlucky) I just got demolished because ninjaing the orb in pitsprint is really hard with just the items I had available.

The route st_ took, and which I later did on my first successful pitsprint speedrun, was to clear only the first half of the storeroom for some xp/items, then head to the Armoury. Rarely you would get something really bad in the hallway leading to the Armoury and you would die, but that was pretty rare. Then you pacify the Armoury and get the FDA there, and then head to the Coven for the haste wand. With rF++ or better and effectively unlimited (DD recharging) hastes, you can manage to ninja the orb and survive.

My first improvement was choosing DDWr instead of DDHe. Even just apportation is a huge improvement over no spells at all and you can make up the ely piety and invocations skill levels that you miss by choosing Wr instead of He quite easily. I got a Book of the Warp in the coven, and had cblink and apportation for Zot. st_'s run was about 1500 turns, this first successful attempt of mine was about 1400. So an improvement, but not by a lot. The big thing that I abused was apporting the orb, then cblinking away, then apporting the orb again, etc. so that I could mostly cblink my way out of Zot after the clusterfuck of enemies that are around the orb all noticed me.

After that run I realised that actually DDWr has a pretty good chance of being able to skip the Armoury and Coven altogether if you get lucky enough. My first attempts went back to my old route: clear the entire Storeroom (hoping for speed potions at the end), then clear the Minivault, then go for the ninja. DDWr has spells here but no defenses (as you can see from my win--those are pretty typical stats). I actually found Book of the Warp in the minivault on one of these attempts but I ran into something I couldnt pacify in the Vestibule and died (it's too far away to start chaining cblinks). I was not having success chaining scblinks through Zot even on the attempts where I got there without problems and cleared the first lung--I wanted to save my two scrolls of blinking for the orbrun so I could repeat what I did on my 1400 turn win.

After getting unlucky for a while I remembered that the Wr book has another spell that might be useful here: passage of golubria. If I could manage to place a passage at the entrance area of zot, and then get to the orb, pick up the orb, and cast the spell again before my original passages closed, I could step through another passage and warp back to the start of zot!! This would bypass the difficult part of the orbrun entirely in a way that takes many fewer turns than repeated blinks + apportation, it would let me do all of zot on just a single haste, and it would let me use my blink scrolls getting to the orb instead of out with it. Since I only needed a single haste, I no longer needed to clear the entire storeroom: I could go back to clearing just the first half (for xp). I decided to take the door toward the Armoury to pacify the enemies in that hall for a bit more xp on the way to the Minivault since it would (hopefully) barely cost me any turns.

On the winning run that's the route I took. The minivault I got was awful: it was just a single necromancer band, which meant I got almost no xp from it since zombies aren't worth much. I also got one of my scrolls of blinking burned before I used it. But everything else went smoothly: the only unpacifyable enemy (a death ooze, I think) in the first lung of Zot I managed to kill by making a pacified cacodemon (I think) kill it. The rest of zot was about three frantic scblinks to get close to the orb, one scroll of blinking to get in LOS, and then my passage strategy worked perfectly. I got Ely lifesaving (with divine protection invoked) three times, which was actually less than I expected to need. Step in the passage and the hard part was over. I did appear next to a profane servitor and some hell hounds but was able to pacify them just fine (I used Ely to heal up from 5 hp, of course) and then just a quick stroll to the < for the win.

This can be improved a bit: not needing to berserk in the storeroom saves a few turns, you can probably go straight from the first half of the storerooms to the minivault if you get a good minivault (saving the time spent in the armoury passage), and then zot can be improved by quite a bit over what I did, but I don't think I will bother to try for any of these. I could see 700 turns with good enough luck, maybe even close to 600. I think it has to be a warper of ely, and I think you have to be a DD or HO (HO is probably possible but you will be less durable and worse at the start so not much reason to try it) for the invo apt. You could also luck out and get book of the warp in the minivault which would make things easier, but that takes a lot of tries.

Anyway good luck to anyone who wants to beat this. If you manage to do something that I thought wasn't possible then let me know!