Now YASD - so close! Pale DrIE of Sif Muna XL22

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 6th January 2013, 19:12

Now YASD - so close! Pale DrIE of Sif Muna XL22

Well, I finally changed my 'grazing' policy of playing wildly varying characters to concentrate on IEs, and have been rewarded by smashing through the wall (previous best was XL18). I've been disciplined with my skills and generally cautious with my play, as well as lucky (Sif altar on D2, randart ring that trivialises fire attacks, tons of books that altogether contain nearly all the spells in the game). However, I'm in uncharted territory now so I'd appreciate a few pointers. Specific questions after the dump.

Code:
Moanerette the Sorcerer (DrIE)                  Turns: 68133, Time: 1, 01:26:36

HP 169/169 (171) AC 22     Str 17      XL: 22   Next: 45%
MP  44/44        EV 19     Int 25      God: Sif Muna [******]
Gold 4282        SH 15     Dex 17      Spells: 16 memorised,  4 levels left

Res.Fire  : + + .   See Invis. : +   y - staff of wizardry
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : .   (armour unavailable)
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .   F - +3 elf buckler
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : .   J - +2 wizard hat
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : +   E - +2 cloak {darkness}
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : .   R - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   U - +2 pair of dwarf boots
Res.Rott. : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .   g - amulet of clarity
Saprovore : . . .   Flight     : .   B - ring of Lufof {Dex+1 SInv}
                                     b - ring of Thulif {+Rage +Fly rF++ Str+5}

@: quite resistant to hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: breathe steam, unfitting armour, Str +1, Int +1
a: Breathe Steam, Channel Energy, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion, Evoke Berserk
Rage, Evoke Invisibility, Evoke Flight

You are on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Sif Muna.
Sif Muna is exalted by your worship.
You are hungry.

You have visited 7 branches of the dungeon, and seen 48 of its levels.
You have also visited: Wizlab.

You have collected 5306 gold pieces.
You have spent 1044 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 M - a +6,+6 demon trident of electrocution
Armour
 E - a +2 cloak of darkness (worn)
 F - a +3 elven buckler (worn)
 I - a +2 cloak of preservation
 J - a +2 wizard hat (worn)
 R - a +2 pair of gloves of dexterity (worn)
 U - a +2 pair of dwarven boots (worn)
Magical devices
 e - a wand of teleportation
 u - a wand of lightning (1)
 G - a wand of digging {zapped: 1}
 V - a wand of cold (1)
 W - a wand of heal wounds (2)
 Y - a wand of hasting {zapped: 2}
Comestibles
 Z - a banana
Scrolls
 j - 3 scrolls of fog
 m - 4 scrolls of teleportation
 w - 2 scrolls of fear
 Q - 2 scrolls of acquirement
Jewellery
 b - the ring of Thulif (left hand) {+Rage +Fly rF++ Str+5}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Lair of Beasts)   

[ring of strength]
   It affects your strength (+5).
   It greatly protects you from fire.
   It lets you fly.
   It lets you go berserk.
 d - an uncursed ring of protection from fire
 g - an amulet of clarity (around neck)
 h - an uncursed ring of poison resistance
 k - an uncursed ring of ice
 p - a +3 ring of intelligence
 B - the ring of Lufof (right hand) {Dex+1 SInv}
   (You found it on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)   

[ring of dexterity]
   It affects your dexterity (+1).
   It enhances your eyesight.
 D - an uncursed ring of life protection
 K - an uncursed amulet of resist mutation
 T - an uncursed ring of protection from magic
Potions
 a - 3 potions of agility
 f - 4 potions of curing
 o - a potion of restore abilities
 r - 2 potions of might
 x - a potion of magic
 z - 2 potions of speed
 A - 2 potions of heal wounds
 P - a potion of resistance
Magical staves
 y - an uncursed staff of wizardry (weapon)
 H - an uncursed staff of summoning
Rods
 C - a +9 rod of warding (12/12)
   (You took it off an orc warlord on level 1 of the Vaults)
 N - a +2 rod of demonology (14/14)
   (You found it in a wizard's laboratory)

Skills:
 - Level 10.1 Fighting
 - Level 10.0 Dodging
 - Level 1.7 Stealth
 - Level 5.3 Shields
 - Level 5.5 Traps
 - Level 21.2 Spellcasting
 - Level 16.0 Conjurations
 - Level 12.0 Charms
 + Level 9.9 Summonings
 - Level 16.0 Ice Magic
 - Level 5.0 Air Magic
 - Level 7.0 Invocations
 - Level 10.0 Evocations

You have 4 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Freeze                Ice            #####        0%          1    None
b - Haste                 Chrm           #######..    1%          6    #......
c - Ozocubu's Armour      Chrm/Ice       ########..   0%          3    None
d - Throw Icicle          Conj/Ice       ########.    1%          4    None
e - Orb of Destruction    Conj           ########..   1%          7    ####...
f - Bolt of Cold          Conj/Ice       ########..   1%          6    #......
g - Shadow Creatures      Summ           N/A          1%          5    None
h - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      #######...   1%          3    None
i - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       #######...   1%          2    None
j - Freezing Cloud        Conj/Ice/Air   #######...   1%          6    #......
k - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       #######...   1%          2    None
l - Animate Skeleton      Necr           N/A          1%          1    None
m - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
n - Summon Ugly Thing     Summ           #######...   1%          6    #......
p - Control Teleport      Chrm/Tloc      #######...   1%          4    None
q - Summon Butterflies    Summ           #######..    1%          1    None

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (27/27)            Temple (1/1) D:7             Orc (4/4) D:10
    Elf (1/3) Orc:3          Lair (8/8) D:11         Shoals (0/5) Lair:4
  Snake (4/5) Lair:4        Slime (0/6) Lair:7       Vaults (3/5) D:19
  Crypt (0/5) Vaults:2   
 Blade: Vaults:3-4     Zot: D:27       

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
the Shining One
Lugonu

Shops:
D:9: *  D:10: [  D:11: ?  D:13: ?  D:24: /  D:25: [  Orc:2: !  Orc:3: !
Orc:4: */(

Portals:
Hell: D:21 D:22 D:23 D:24 D:25 D:26 D:27
Abyss: D:22 D:25 D:27
Pandemonium: D:21 D:24 D:26
Ziggurat: D:19 (2860 gp)
Bazaar: Snake:3
Trove: D:13 (give 2 scrolls of acquirement)

Annotations
D:21 Mara
Lair:5 Rupert
Vaults:1 exclusion: storm dragon
Vaults:3 Mennas

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You can breathe blasts of scalding steam.
Your pale cyan-grey scales are hard (AC +11).
Your body does not fit into most forms of armour.
Your cold-blooded metabolism reacts poorly to cold.
Your mind is acute (Int +1).
Your muscles are strong (Str +1).

1. I've been through the whole dungeon, leaving about half of D27 and an area of D21 around Mara, who I didn't have a clue how to deal with. Mennas chased me out of Vaults 3 and there is a terrifying Minotaur Death Knight 'welcoming' visitors to Elf, though I've since picked up a ring of MR. Basically, I'm not sure where to proceed from here. Am I tough enough to go for the Snake rune, or to take on Shoals? Would the ring give me enough MR to give Elf another go (the DK nearly killed me with its life-draining last time I poked my head in)?

2. I'm not sure where to go with skills. Should I be aiming for Ice Storm now - if so, which out of Conj and Ice should I be training? Is it worth bunging a few points into pole arms so I can fight more effectively from behind my skeletons/summons? More points into Spellcasting, Dodging or Fighting?

(I know I've currently got Summoning turned on, this was to reduce the failure rate for Summon Ugly Things, which has now been done).

3. Abyss, Hell, Pandemonium, Crypt, Slime... I've never been to any of these. Should I be tempted or would they be death traps?

4. Ditto the Trove on D13 and the Ziggurat on D19, both of which I can pay the entry fee for. Worth doing? I can't really think of a use for the Acquirement scrolls, and there is nothing in the shops worth burning my gold on.

A couple of notes on my inventory - I'm at my stash, so am about to pick up permafood. My books don't show on the dump, but basically I have access to pretty much all high level spells except some of the Necromancy ones, and I won't be going for those. I could memorise Simulacrum if I wanted, I've never used it but it looks quite interesting.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Last edited by Moanerette on Friday, 11th January 2013, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 6th January 2013, 21:01

Re: CIP - Pale DrIE of Sif Muna XL22

Moanerette wrote:1. I've been through the whole dungeon, leaving about half of D27 and an area of D21 around Mara, who I didn't have a clue how to deal with. Mennas chased me out of Vaults 3 and there is a terrifying Minotaur Death Knight 'welcoming' visitors to Elf, though I've since picked up a ring of MR. Basically, I'm not sure where to proceed from here. Am I tough enough to go for the Snake rune, or to take on Shoals? Would the ring give me enough MR to give Elf another go (the DK nearly killed me with its life-draining last time I poked my head in)?

You can easily handle Snake and Shoals, right up until the end. They're scary to a player character that has just finished Lair and Orc, not to a player character that's cleared half of D27. Play with even a moderate amount of care, and you should be fine.

The player ghost in Elf is kind of a crapshoot because it could have most any statistics, but it doesn't necessarily have any cold resistance at all and you should be able to stay out of melee without too much trouble. But if it is too risky to fight it for some reason, you can just skip the level. It isn't like popcorn elves give good xp or loot. As for the elves in the end vault, Freezing Cloud takes care of them real quick.

You have the tools to avoid Mennas almost indefinitely. He's only going to be in one place at a time, and you have potions of speed and a wand of teleportation to get away whenever he finds you. Formally identify the charges in that wand, by the way, you don't want to find out you used the last charge already when you try to use it to get away from something. Mennas almost certainly isn't worth trying to kill, but there's likely to be pretty good xp and loot left to be had in the rest of Vaults and he isn't all that hard to bypass with the tools you have to work with.

Crypt is incredibly easy for when it becomes accessible, with almost the entire monster set being slow melee brutes with no interesting features. Almost everything is resistant to cold, unfortunately, making it pretty annoying for an ice elementalist to clear even though there is almost no challenge involved. Chipping down the thirty thousand skeletal warriors you'll find in the typical five levels of Crypt with Throw Icicle alone is one of the more tedious and grindy tasks not yet removed from the Crawl experience, but if you have a more suitable spell in your spellbook stash there's a lot of xp to be had down there. Sometimes I train necromancy to 8 or so for Dispel Undead just to make Crypt less tedious, and then channel the rest of the xp into something useful.

Moanerette wrote:2. I'm not sure where to go with skills. Should I be aiming for Ice Storm now - if so, which out of Conj and Ice should I be training? Is it worth bunging a few points into pole arms so I can fight more effectively from behind my skeletons/summons? More points into Spellcasting, Dodging or Fighting?

Ice Storm is on the edge of accessibility, but you shouldn't expect to get it usable very quickly, even with wizardry. Conjuration and ice magic affect it approximately equally, so you should eventually raise them to approximately the same level. The one you pick first depends on whether you value more AC from Ozocubu's Armour or more spell power from non-ice conjurations more highly, which depends a lot on the tactics you're using.

More immediately useful would be a modest investment in stealth, so you're more likely to get the drop on things. It's useful and cheap.

Melee skills would be useful, but they're more likely to be a way to handle popcorn to save mp than something you pull out when you really need to go in with an army of minions to handle something.

Moanerette wrote:3. Abyss, Hell, Pandemonium, Crypt, Slime... I've never been to any of these. Should I be tempted or would they be death traps?

Crypt really shouldn't be on that list. Perhaps you've heard of Tomb as being dangerous, but it's actually a completely different place. Crypt is mostly non-threatening by the time you can get through Vaults far enough to reach it, while Tomb is filled with some of the nastiest non-unique spellcasters in the game.

The Abyss should be pretty manageable for your character, but there's basically no incentive to go there intentionally. There's not much loot to be had, and you're likely to get a few unwanted mutations unless you're very good at handling line-of-effect to the neqoxecs. Plus you might run into something nasty, and a bad monster spawn can be harder to get away from in the Abyss than it is in other areas.

Pan is likely to be troublesome for your current character, at least this early. Maybe later.

Hell is also going to be too troublesome so early, but the Vestibule is more manageable than the four sub-branches. You could clear it out for xp if you wanted.

Slime is probably not a good idea yet. All your gear is vulnerable to corrosion, and you probably don't have the raw power you need to handle the branch end, which is the only place you're going to find loot in there. The rest of Slime only offers xp, which you can get anywhere.

Moanerette wrote:4. Ditto the Trove on D13 and the Ziggurat on D19, both of which I can pay the entry fee for. Worth doing? I can't really think of a use for the Acquirement scrolls, and there is nothing in the shops worth burning my gold on.

A Trove for two acquirement scrolls that you already have is likely to be a favorable trade, but there are no guarantees. A Trove for an acquirement scroll you already have and an acquirement scroll that may or may not spawn at some point in the future is less likely to be a favorable trade, but that's not relevant here because you already have two. If you choose to ignore the Trove and use the acquirement scrolls, armor is an obvious choice because you are almost certain to get an upgrade over the mostly vanilla stuff you have on.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Moanerette

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 6th January 2013, 22:01

Do not Zig until much later. There are a few really ugly monster pools that Zig can draw from. Even if you can sail through Tomb and Pan, you can still die horribly if you get a holy floor (unless your religion is right, but then you can't 'sail through' Tomb).

Snake -> Shoals -> Crypt -> Finish Vaults (while avoiding Mennas) is what I'd do, given you don't want to give up Sif for TSO. Bring lots of permafood and OOD/ugly thing your way through when you do Crypt. Oh but if you see a greater mummy in Crypt, that's part of Khufu's entourage. Run and never turn back if he spawned, the EXP+Loot in Crypt is not worth taking him on if you've never done extended before.

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks:
Moanerette

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 6th January 2013, 22:08

Thanks KL, that's great feedback. Looks like Snake 5 and Shoals next, then, followed by the rest of Vaults. I think I might skip Crypt; even if I levelled Necro, Dispel Undead is one of the few spells I haven't found yet, and I've already experienced chipping slowly away at Skel Warriors. I can swap in rMut amulet and cloak of preservation as necessary (in fact, that's the cloak I usually wear) so I guess Slime and Abyss to follow.

The Minotaur Death Knight in Elf is a monster rather than a player ghost, I don't know if that makes a difference.

I didn't consider using Acquirement for armour because I assumed the chances of getting something for my unusable body armour slot were far too high. Anyway, I haven't seen a Trove before, so I will definitely take a look.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 6th January 2013, 22:31

learndb

You cannot get an unusable armour from acquirement. I think the closest you can get is getting a shield while you're using 2h weapons.

Oh, if you want to do crypt, don't level Necromancy, level polearms, that electric demon trident should do fine.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 11th January 2013, 15:41

Re: Now YASD - so close! Pale DrIE of Sif Muna XL22

Died on Zot 5. I think I should probably have fled earlier, ended up panicking and teleporting around in the hope of finding somewhere safe where I could rest up. Oh well, it's still a big breakthrough for me to get that far.

Code:
582139 Moanerette the Cryomancer (level 27, 0/209 HPs)
             Began as a Pale Draconian Ice Elementalist on Jan 1, 2013.
             Was the Champion of Sif Muna.
             Slain by an Orb Guardian (11 damage)
             ... on Level 5 of the Realm of Zot on Jan 11, 2013.
             The game lasted 1day 14:31:47 (98349 turns).

Moanerette the Cryomancer (DrIE)                Turns: 98349, Time: 1, 14:31:47

HP   0/209       AC 24     Str 17      XL: 27
MP  10/42        EV 24     Int 26      God: Sif Muna [******]
Gold 3912        SH 15     Dex 19      Spells: 16 memorised,  1 level left

Res.Fire  : + + +   See Invis. : +   U - staff of conjuration
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : .   (armour unavailable)
Life Prot.: + . .   Conserve   : +   F - +3 elf buckler
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : +   v - +2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rF+ rC+ MR}
Res.Elec. : +       Clarity    : .   I - +2 cloak {rCorr, Cons}
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : .   R - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
Res.Mut.  : +       Stasis     : .   s - +2 pair of boots of the Assassin {+Inv Dex
Res.Rott. : .       Ctrl.Telep.: x   t - amulet of Vanity {rMut +Inv Dam+4}
Saprovore : . . .   Flight     : .   h - ring of Shadows {+Inv rN+ EV+4 Acc-4 SInv
                                     b - ring of Thulif {+Rage +Fly rF++ Str+5}

@: about to teleport, invisible (but backlit and visible), slightly
contaminated, slowed, glowing, slow, very resistant to hostile enchantments,
fairly stealthy
A: breathe steam, unfitting armour, deterioration 1, -10% mp
a: Breathe Steam, Channel Energy, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion, Evoke Berserk
Rage, Turn Visible, Evoke Flight
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, silver

You were on level 5 of the Realm of Zot.
You worshipped Sif Muna.
Sif Muna was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 9 branches of the dungeon, and saw 63 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 2 times.
You also visited: Trove and Wizlab.

You collected 7419 gold pieces.
You spent 3527 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 M - a +8,+8 demon trident of electrocution
Armour
 s - the +2 pair of boots of the Assassin (worn) {+Inv Dex+3 Stlth++}
   (You found it in a treasure trove)   

It affects your dexterity (+3).
   It lets you turn invisible.
   It makes you much more stealthy.
 v - the +2 hat of the Alchemist (worn) {rElec rF+ rC+ MR}
   (You found it in a treasure trove)   

It protects you from fire.
   It protects you from cold.
   It insulates you from electricity.
   It increases your resistance to enchantments.
 F - a +3 elven buckler (worn)
 I - a +2 cloak of preservation (worn)
 R - a +2 pair of gloves of dexterity (worn)
Magical devices
 e - a wand of teleportation (5)
 i - a wand of fire (2)
 G - a wand of digging (14)
 H - a wand of cold (0)
 L - a wand of teleportation (3)
 S - a wand of lightning (3)
 T - a wand of fireball (2)
 W - a wand of heal wounds (2)
 Y - a wand of hasting (6)
Comestibles
 c - 9 meat rations
 D - 5 royal jellies
Scrolls
 j - 4 scrolls of fog
 k - a scroll of amnesia
 m - 3 scrolls of teleportation
 n - a scroll of magic mapping
 u - a scroll of vulnerability
 w - 6 scrolls of fear
 J - 3 scrolls of acquirement
 Z - 3 scrolls of recharging
Jewellery
 b - the ring of Thulif (left hand) {+Rage +Fly rF++ Str+5}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Lair of Beasts)   

[ring of strength]
   It affects your strength (+5).
   It greatly protects you from fire.
   It lets you fly.
   It lets you go berserk.
 g - an uncursed amulet of clarity
 h - the ring of Shadows (right hand) {+Inv rN+ EV+4 Acc-4 SInv Stlth++}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)   

[ring of invisibility]
   It affects your evasion (+4).
   It affects your accuracy (-4).
   It protects you from negative energy.
   It enhances your eyesight.
   It makes you much more stealthy.
 t - the amulet of Vanity (around neck) {rMut +Inv Dam+4}
   (You took it off a naga warrior on level 5 of the Snake Pit)   

[amulet of resist mutation]
   It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
   It lets you turn invisible.
 V - the ring "Blygoi" {rC+ MP+9}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)   

[ring of magical power]
   It protects you from cold.
Potions
 a - 2 potions of agility
 f - 9 potions of curing
 o - 2 potions of restore abilities
 p - a potion of magic
 r - 3 potions of might
 A - 3 potions of heal wounds
 P - a potion of resistance
Books
 d - Sif Muna's Arcane Secrets of Theurgy {god gift}
   (Sif Muna gifted it to you on level 3 of the Realm of Zot)   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   Chain Lightning                    Conjuration/Air              8
   Summon Horrible Things             Summoning                    8
 l - a book of Power   

Iskenderun's Mystic Blast          Conjuration                  4
   Venom Bolt                         Conjuration/Poison           5
   Bolt of Magma                      Conjuration/Fire/Earth       5
   Poisonous Cloud                    Conjuration/Poison/Air       6
   Iron Shot                          Conjuration/Earth            6
   *Orb of Destruction                Conjuration                  7
 q - Gloorx Vloq's Catalogue of Unholy Rituals {god gift}
   (Sif Muna gifted it to you on level 4 of the Realm of Zot)   

Dispel Undead                      Necromancy                   5
   Borgnjor's Revivification          Necromancy                   7
   Death's Door                       Charms/Necromancy            8
 x - a book of Changes {god gift}   

Beastly Appendage                  Transmutation                1
   Sticks to Snakes                   Transmutation                2
   Spider Form                        Transmutation/Poison         3
   Ice Form                           Ice/Transmutation            4
   Blade Hands                        Transmutation                5
 B - Murray's Almanac of Evil Rituals {god gift}
   (Sif Muna gifted it to you on level 2 of the Realm of Zot)   

Corpse Rot                         Necromancy                   2
   Twisted Resurrection               Necromancy                   5
   *Simulacrum                        Ice/Necromancy               6
   Haunt                              Necromancy/Summoning         7
 K - a book of Control   

Control Teleport                   Charms/Translocation         4
   Control Undead                     Necromancy                   4
   Enslavement                        Hexes                        4
   Mass Confusion                     Hexes                        6
   Metabolic Englaciation             Hexes/Ice                    6
Magical staves
 y - an uncursed staff of wizardry
 U - an uncursed staff of conjuration (weapon)
Rods
 C - a +9 rod of warding (12/12)
   (You took it off an orc warlord on level 1 of the Vaults)

Skills:
 - Level 10.1 Fighting
 - Level 5.0 Polearms
 - Level 10.0 Dodging
 - Level 6.0 Stealth
 - Level 5.3 Shields
 - Level 10.0 Traps
 - Level 22.0 Spellcasting
 + Level 23.7 Conjurations
 - Level 15.0 Charms
 - Level 10.0 Summonings
 + Level 23.8 Ice Magic
 - Level 5.0 Air Magic
 - Level 7.0 Invocations
 - Level 10.0 Evocations

You had one spell level left.
You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Simulacrum            Ice/Necr       #######...   1%          6    None
b - Haste                 Chrm           ########.    1%          6    None
c - Ozocubu's Armour      Chrm/Ice       ########..   0%          3    None
d - Throw Icicle          Conj/Ice       #########    0%          4    None
e - Orb of Destruction    Conj           #########.   1%          7    ####...
f - Bolt of Cold          Conj/Ice       #########.   1%          6    None
g - Shadow Creatures      Summ           N/A          1%          5    None
h - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      #######...   1%          3    None
i - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       #######...   1%          2    None
j - Freezing Cloud        Conj/Ice/Air   #########.   1%          6    None
k - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       #######...   1%          2    None
l - Animate Skeleton      Necr           N/A          1%          1    None
m - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
n - Ice Storm             Conj/Ice       #########.   12%         9    #######
o - Poison Arrow          Conj/Pois      ########..   1%          6    None
q - Summon Butterflies    Summ           #######..    1%          1    None

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (27/27)            Temple (1/1) D:7             Orc (4/4) D:10
    Elf (3/3) Orc:3          Lair (8/8) D:11         Shoals (5/5) Lair:4
  Snake (5/5) Lair:4        Slime (0/6) Lair:7       Vaults (5/5) D:19
  Blade (0/1) Vaults:4      Crypt (0/5) Vaults:2        Zot (5/5) D:27

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
the Shining One
Lugonu

Shops:
D:9: *  D:10: [  D:11: ?  D:13: ?  D:24: /  D:25: [  Orc:2: !  Orc:3: !
Orc:4: */(  Elf:1: ([  Elf:3: %  Shoals:3: [+(  Snake:5: +  Vaults:4: +

Portals:
Hell: D:21 D:22 D:23 D:24 D:25 D:26 D:27
Abyss: D:22 D:25 D:27
Pandemonium: D:21 D:24 D:26
Ziggurat: D:19 (2860 gp)
Bazaar: Snake:3

Annotations
D:21 Mara
Lair:5 Rupert
Shoals:5 Polyphemus
Vaults:1 exclusion: storm dragon
Vaults:3 Mennas

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You can breathe blasts of scalding steam.
Your pale cyan-grey scales are hard (AC +13).
Your body does not fit into most forms of armour.
Your cold-blooded metabolism reacts poorly to cold.
Your body is slowly deteriorating.
Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP).

Message History

You found an arrow trap! The Orb Guardian hits you!
The Orb Guardian barely misses you.
The Orb Guardian hits you!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
An orb of fire comes into view.
You start to feel a little slower.
The Orb Guardian barely misses you.
The orb of fire emits a lurid red light.
The bolt of fire hits you! You resist.
Evoke which item? (* to show all) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
Zapping: L - a wand of teleportation (4)
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - you
You feel strangely unstable. This wand has 3 charges left.
You die...

.................# ##.
   ......*..........###..
   .....^......^...###^..
  ........§L......##....#
  #....^.!§....2..2...###
  ##...%.##############
 ##...f...........##
##...................
#.......@X...........
........XX........?..
 #....................
  #.^................
   ..........^.......
     ............(..

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 11th January 2013, 16:08

Re: Now YASD - so close! Pale DrIE of Sif Muna XL22

Hmm you died with Ice Storm and lots of food... ah, your Inv is a tad low to be getting Sif mana fast and you didn't have an excellently low fail rate on casting it.

More EXP would have been useful (though hardly essential). Even if you weren't intending to get all the runes, there was the option to dip your toes into extended for that extra EXP. I mean, you had Ice Storm and you didn't touch Crypt (which doesn't even count as 'extended') at all, which would have been easy.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too