YASD - I just need to vent. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th February 2011, 23:37

YASD - I just need to vent. Move along. Nothing to see here.

RRRRR Damn it I hate losing characters at XL9+. They're JUST starting to come together. Lately it seems like something got changed that nerfs melee characters because I keep getting my ass handed to me by monsters I used to be able to walk over.

Also this is the second recent game where I've gotten an early crossbow and managed to train it up nicely. Only to get mangled. I do not remember Erica being all that tough, but she invised, blinked, poisoned me, bolted me, and Okawaru knows what elsed me within a handful of turns as I gulped heal pots and read a tele scroll. GRRRRRR it was just starting to get fun.

I am clearly in the "mid game is plenty fun" camp. I'd like to bring to the attention of the accomplished Crawlers who are contemplating toughening things up in the early and mid game the fact that there are plenty of us poorly-skilled players who already find plenty of challenge all the way through. Crawl does a good job of catering to both types of players; may it continue to do so.

In the meantime, pretend that my fist is punching through this thread in frustrated rage. Sustenance ring, cure mut pot waiting for me in a shop...damn it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 01:17

Re: YASD - I just need to vent. Move along. Nothing to see h

GOD DAMN IT IT JUST HAPPENED AGAIN XL 9 FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 02:05

The only thing more frustrating than an unending string of early deaths where you're unable to get a character off the ground no matter what you do is an unending sting of deaths just when you start to get a character going. To die over and over just when you start to think you've got something sustainable, when things are just getting interesting.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 08:14

Yeah, I have just been trying a string of MDBes and MiGls and similar experience - I get to around XL10 and then die. Two of these were in baileys to Orc warriors or worse. However, they were both preventable.

gb

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 10:46

after dying to many "wimpy" uniques, i don't hold back on any of them, always using rods or potions *before* things start getting hairy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 11:04

Good idea - get there fustest with the mostest, every time.

It might be that the "mid game doldrums" are a primarily castercentric phenomenon. Melee characters are at that point not quite strong enough to knock just anything down - weapon skill has not reached 15 yet - but there is usually still a shortage of consumables that help paper over the damage gap. In short: fun times.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 22nd February 2011, 08:35

gb wrote:after dying to many "wimpy" uniques, i don't hold back on any of them, always using rods or potions *before* things start getting hairy

Speaking of rods, did you know orcish wizard will use them if they can get their hands on them? (vintermann, ... killed by a lightning bolt ... thrown by an orcish wizard)
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 22nd February 2011, 13:52

vintermann wrote:
gb wrote:after dying to many "wimpy" uniques, i don't hold back on any of them, always using rods or potions *before* things start getting hairy

Speaking of rods, did you know orcish wizard will use them if they can get their hands on them? (vintermann, ... killed by a lightning bolt ... thrown by an orcish wizard)

This is new. It has been added for deep dwarf monsters, but of course, other monsters can use them now...
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too