Abyss: "Teleport when you inevitably get surrounded"

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 17:31

Abyss: "Teleport when you inevitably get surrounded"

So, the only two times I have ever unwielded a distortion-branded weapon, I've ended up Banished.

The first time was no biggie - my character was about level 9 and was never going to make it out alive, so it was interesting trying to see how long he could survive. But my MDFi was level 17 and in pretty good shape, especially given the aforementioned broad axe of distortion and an assortment of resistance armours from Okawaru*. His only problem was that he'd been in the Elven Halls immediately beforehand, and had had his entire stack of scrolls wiped out by unfortunate Sticky Flame experiences. And no wand of teleportation yet.

Even getting mobbed the first few times was not immediately fatal, though he was burning through the potions of heal wounds. The last one was looking sort of maybe survivable too, a Hellwing and a Smoke Demon plus a spam of summons... until the Executioner showed up.

It's never just one event that kills you, is it? It's a glorious chain of little screwups that snowball until you're back at the character selection screen again.

*sigh*

*And slings. Lots and lots of ego slings. Hoorah.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 18:37

Re: Abyss: "Teleport when you inevitably get surrounded"

I usually carry around a ring of teleportation, just in case I get sent to the Abyss.

For this message the author lucy_ferre has received thanks: 3
galehar, joellercoaster, Stormfox

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 31st December 2010, 11:28

Just lost a really promising MDFi to the Abyss myself. Level 11, with some amazing jewellery. Playing sensibly, slowly and cautiously, but an orc with a distortion hammer banished me with a single hit. Ran about screaming, drank eight (!) heal wounds, smite-d to death by a smoke demon. But I saw the rune! Wasn't able to grab it, but that's the first time I've seen the thing.
Dowan says "Her death will not be in vain!"
You bludgeon Dowan!
This raw flesh tastes great!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 19:36

I've never seen an exit portal in the Abyss. It's always a death sentence. Last time it was a surprise Zot trap that banished my MDFi (do I sense a pattern? Devils must hate dwarves. Balrogs in Moria and all that.) even though he had Traps skill of 5 or 6 and should have seen it.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 02:35

Erolcha banished me to the Abyss.

I even managed to escape through a portal when she banished me right back again....

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 21:39

Yeah, repeated banishments get real old real fast. I don't like the abyss that much.

There are many things I think this game could do without. However, I suspect that if you removed all the things I don't like, it would become a very boring game...

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 08:01

fnwc wrote:Erolcha banished me to the Abyss.

I even managed to escape through a portal when she banished me right back again....

Lesson learned: Have some magic resistance handy when fighting her. If this doesn't help, have more magic resistance handy.
Or just go berserk and kill her in three turns :).
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 02:47

Zicher wrote:
fnwc wrote:Erolcha banished me to the Abyss.

Lesson learned: Have some magic resistance handy when fighting her. If this doesn't help, have more magic resistance handy.
Or just go berserk and kill her in three turns :).

Yeah, but I literally appeared before her again, took a step and she banished me right away. :p

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 18th January 2011, 15:38

I actually have a good relationship with the abyss. I think it's probably 50% of the runes I've gotten. Run on a slight diagonal. Never engage unless you're on a full tank and you can kill the creature in question in no more than a few turns. Rest in nooks. Know your mutators and summoners. Teleport at the first sign you're gummed up. I think I'm probably helped by the fact that I like Elf Casters, and I like my utility spells. swift, haste, levitate, fly, blink, teleport, reflect / repel missiles, and apport are all your friends, depending on your level. Given the fragmented LOS, as long as you can keep moving you're good...

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 18th January 2011, 17:21

The problem with abyss is that its difficulty can vary tremendously. Sometimes you can survive even at low-ish levels, sometimes you get an executioner or an ancient lich. My XL 21 DSNe had to cast cast Borgnjor's three times versus an executioner before teleport kicked in and still barely survived. Other times it seems that swiftness + levitation means that you are almost completely safe even with no rMut.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 21st January 2011, 06:54

I ended up getting banished to the abyss from zot 5 with no food (I dropped it due to weight issues from switching an amulet, figured I could just pick it up after I killed the shaper, terrible idea...), and what do I see but an altar of lugonu 5 feet away from me. Lucked out so hard.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 24th January 2011, 00:05

Also, "Teleport when you inevitably get surrounded" strikes me as being way too late-- "Teleport at the first hint I might get surrounded" has always been my policy.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too