OcFi with lotsa regeneration -- god & strategy?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 22nd October 2012, 16:03

OcFi with lotsa regeneration -- god & strategy?

Hi guys!

I'm playing a OcFi, and having a lot of fun, mainly because I found two rings of regen & a vampiric dagger. Basically, I'm diving headfirst in every bunch of orcs and gnolls, taking massive damage, then retrating a few spaces to recover while they pursue me :)
I know, it's not a sound strategy, but I'm enjoying it until it lasts (I'll stop very soon; don't want to die stupidly with this one).

So far I'm pursuing maximum flexibility, so I trained only shields and dodging. Lack of armour makes this particular fighter a very good candidate for spellcasting - So, should I go Vehumet or Sif and try to stay alive until they start gifting? Or should I just embrace my inner fighter and go Okawaru or even Trog? I really can't decide. I could even ditch the weapons, start pumping UC and follow Chei, hoping for some good transmutations along the way.

Advice? Ideas?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd October 2012, 16:16

Re: OcFi with lotsa regeneration -- god & strategy?

You'll have a hard time building Sif piety without any spells, and you'll be waiting a long time for either of them to gift you books, during which both of their benefits will be useless to you. If you're interested in spellcasting, Kiku might be a better choice to jump start that. Kiku's capstone gift is very strong for a character that's already invested in melee skills.

Short blades in general are a bad choice for a melee character unless you're playing a stealthy stabber type. Vampiric weapons only return a fraction of the damage dealt in healing, and daggers don't deal very much damage. As enemies get tougher, you're going to have a hard time whittling them down without upgrading to something with more base damage. That said, if you do go with Kiku, a dagger of pain can be absolute murder.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
stepanxol

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 22nd October 2012, 16:26

Thanks! Kiku is a great idea, I've been toying with the idea of playing a necromancer (I tried a few, but never really explored that route) and this may be the right time. I don't really like fussing around with the animated dead, but pain, haunt and such make a pretty good arsenal to complement a melle build. I'll let you know as this goes!

Edit: about the short blades, I know, in fact I was planning to stick with axes for the long run. I'm just having too much fun with two regen rings + vampiric, I mean, that must be overkill, right? :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd October 2012, 16:33

The dagger would quickly fall off as the overall AC of your targets starts to rise and you start dealing less and less damage. Multiple rings of regen is great on a melee octopode, but I'm almost as disappointed with I find a vampiric dagger as I am when I find a speed branded short blade. It's a much better brand on bigger weapons.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 24th October 2012, 08:33

stepanxol wrote:I'm just having too much fun with two regen rings + vampiric, I mean, that must be overkill, right? :)
No, overkill is when you're a Stab-type Vampire with that vampiric dagger. There is nothing as satisfying as getting 100HP in one stab. Second to that: being a troll who can cast regen and with regen rings.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too