Labyrinths, starvation, and intelligence deterioration...

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 17th December 2010, 03:10

Labyrinths, starvation, and intelligence deterioration...

A relatively simple story. My intrepid Mountain Dwarf Fighter of Yredelemnul had been able to handle just about everything the dungeon had thrown at him, when he encountered a Labyrinth entrance. Plenty of food on hand, he entered. Multiple thousands of turns later, he still couldn't find the exit, despite having been through all the "metal" corridors many times, and even after starting to leave arrows on the ground as markers out of desperation.

Unfortunately, I also had Deterioration 2, which was rotting my stats away faster than they healed, generally. I had several Royal Jellies to eat to restore my stats as needed, but wasn't paying attention, and my intelligence rotted to 0, causing me to faint...while I was very hungry (Did I mention not paying attention?), and ended up seeing the following:

Code:
You faint for lack of intelligence.
You are near starving!
You can move again.
You faint for lack of intelligence.
You can move again.
You die...
Your body rises from the dead as a mindless zombie.

The sad thing was that I usually have little trouble with Labyrinths, and I still had 10 honeycombs left in my pack. :(

Incidentally, I think that Labyrinth exits are not always in the metal areas, but sometimes in a rock area *surrounded* by metal areas, but since I was focused on the metal areas only, I kept going in circles and never hitting it. <sigh>

Anyway, mildly depressing, but I'll be more careful next time.

Twilight

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 17th December 2010, 07:46

Re: Labyrinths, starvation, and intelligence deterioration..

iirc the exit is in a small to medium perfectly square rock area at the center of the metal area. i can see the confusing it might cause but it never tripped me up. getting through the maze as a troll can be pretty hairy some times o.o

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 17th December 2010, 09:32

I had the same labyrinth exit vault recently. Very confusing if you're not expecting it. I spent a lot of time wandering in circles in the metal area and avoiding the rock one thinking it would lead me away from the exit. Maybe there should be some hints at the vault entrance.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 17th December 2010, 11:51

Yeah, I took a look at lab.des and most of the exit vaults have stone walls about 1/3 of the time. It is misleading.. The stone could be recoloured, or green crystal used instead.

--Eino

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 17th December 2010, 12:48

+1 to coloured stone walls or green crystal!
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 17th December 2010, 14:09

This was a few game versions ago, but metal walls just indicate proximity to *an* exit, not necessarily *the* exit -- I found an Abyss portal in a labyrinth surrounded by metal walls. It was nowhere near the real exit with the minotaur.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 17th December 2010, 14:31

Ok, changed the chance of stone walls to a chance of crystal walls.

--Eino

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too