CIP: SrEN of Oku

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 09:19

CIP: SrEN of Oku

Hi, crawlers. I need some advices about what to do and some mechanics as well.

1. How to get char dump in the Webtiles?
2. I have an anti-magic sabre (god gift). It isn't look too cool, as it kills a lot of characters casting ability (10 from 33 isn't enough for a bunch of support and panic buttons at all). Does it give something good, like additional damage to monster casters? Couldn't find anything about this point in wiki.
3. I've got an randart Ring of Vitality from thomb-in-the-dungeon (don't know what is it, looks like a portal, but without portal itself, right on the dungeon floor). It adds 15 HP and Regen. Is it good to use? Additional HP is pretty cool when you have no need in additional resistances in the moment, but Regen looks like it isn't evokable - does it work all the time? And does it take additional food for working? There are not tons of food when you are spriggan, you know.
4. I am XL:14 for now, and made it to D:18 (where things become more and more scary, with all those packs of mobs), L:5, and now in Orc:3. Where shoud I go with stabber for some more cheap exp, without too much risk?

Thank you!

___
Just realized I'm extremely unstealthy ninja stabber, with Scream mutation from the D:18, and no one potion of cure mutation. Doh.
Could MUT+ items in the backpak add mutations, or they only counts while in use?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 09:43

Re: CIP: SrEN of Oku

lifecoder wrote:Hi, crawlers. I need some advices about what to do and some mechanics as well.

1. How to get char dump in the Webtiles?
2. I have an anti-magic sabre (god gift). It isn't look too cool, as it kills a lot of characters casting ability (10 from 33 isn't enough for a bunch of support and panic buttons at all). Does it give something good, like additional damage to monster casters? Couldn't find anything about this point in wiki.
3. I've got an randart Ring of Vitality from thomb-in-the-dungeon (don't know what is it, looks like a portal, but without portal itself, right on the dungeon floor). It adds 15 HP and Regen. Is it good to use? Additional HP is pretty cool when you have no need in additional resistances in the moment, but Regen looks like it isn't evokable - does it work all the time? And does it take additional food for working? There are not tons of food when you are spriggan, you know.
4. I am XL:14 for now, and made it to D:18 (where things become more and more scary, with all those packs of mobs), L:5, and now in Orc:3. Where shoud I go with stabber for some more cheap exp, without too much risk?

Thank you!

___
Just realized I'm extremely unstealthy ninja stabber, with Scream mutation from the D:18, and no one potion of cure mutation. Doh.
Could MUT+ items in the backpak add mutations, or they only counts while in use?

+MUT only adds mutations while in use. However, shouting isn't too bad a mutation, you can live with it. Are you actually "extremely unstealthy" when pressing @? That's strange, are you wearing non-robe armour? Have you trained Stealth?

1. Press # in game, then type @dump in ##crawl IRC. Alternatively press # and then visit crawl.develz.org/morgues/versionnumber/playername/playername.txt. You are probably either playing versionnumber 0.10 or trunk.

2. It prevents monster casters from casting when you damage them enough. Don't use the wiki, instead use the knowledge bots: http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/bots
They are more complete and more correct, and usually are up-to-date. Exact anti-magic stuff explained there. It is not a good item for SpEn in most circumstances.

3. Regen is passive. However it doesn't work all the time, only when you are actually damaged. It has a hunger cost when it is working. Since SpEn doesn't take too much damage, but has very low HP, it is an excellent ring for SpEn.

4. Complete Lair, it is trivial for someone with Invisibility. Then complete Orc. Then do D to 20 and continue in the Vaults. Do Crypt when you find it on Vaults 2-4, then continue by doing Vaults up to level 7.
Should you have Shoals, you can do it before Crypt if you have Flight/levitation. Shoals:5 is basically a set of rooms with monsters behind closed doors, make sure to be invisible and flying before opening any doors. Swamp is also easy and you can do it before Crypt. Some Swamp endings are hard, and often you should wait before completing the 5th level. Spiders Nest has 4 easy levels for SpEn and a potentially very dangerous 5th level, so don't go to the 5th too early on. Snake Pit is hard since most monsters see invisible.
After doing the above-mentioned Lair branches to either level 4 or 5, as explained above, and Vaults to 7, complete the Dungeon (27 levels). Then you should get the runes from your two Lair branches (from Snake/Spider/Shoals/Swamp, NOT Slime) if you haven't already, and then get the rune from Vaults 8. Then you are ready for Zot.
Now that I have explained my reasons, here is an easy to follow list:

Lair
Orc
Dungeon:20
Vaults to Crypt entrance
(Shoals)
(Swamp, probably only 4 levels)
Crypt
Vaults to 7
Dungeon to 27
Get three runes, Lair branches and Vaults:8
Zot
Last edited by cerebovssquire on Thursday, 9th August 2012, 09:52, edited 2 times in total.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
lifecoder

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 09:49

About antimagic brand, what's wrong with the wiki?
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 10:53

Thank you, cerebovssquire, you are always great with your advices!

cerebovssquire wrote:Are you actually "extremely unstealthy" when pressing @?

Nope, it isn't interfer with stealth normally, but cry while near the pack of sleeping targets is not a pleasure, and could be quite painfull (and when they could see invisible it is twice more painful:)). Also I don't know how to get it, I haven't used MUT+ items, and also do nothing special, it just appears from air:

25451 | D:18 | Noticed Snorg
25482 | D:18 | Killed Snorg
25543 | D:18 | Gained mutation: You occasionally shout uncontrollably.

cerebovssquire wrote:3. Regen is passive. However it doesn't work all the time, only when you are actually damaged. It has a hunger cost when it is working. Since SpEn doesn't take too much damage, but has very low HP, it is an excellent ring for SpEn.

Got it, sounds good :)

palin, you're right, I have used in-game 'anti-magic' brand, and wiki searches it only without dash.

One more question, I've just found a shop with two rings:
- EV+6, INT-3, ACC+6
- Str+2, Stlht++
First looks very cool, and I'm not sure about second as character already have pretty good stealth. Here the dump:

Code:
lifecoder the Unseen (Spriggan Enchanter)          Turns: 26488, Time: 05:09:12

HP  74/74        AC  5     Str  8      XL: 14   Next: 81%
MP  31/31        EV 30     Int 18      God: Okawaru [*****.]
Gold 978         SH 18     Dex 16      Spells:  7 memorised,  5 levels left

Res.Fire  : + . .   See Invis. : +    e - +3 dagger of Nihilism {god gift, stab, rF+
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : . .  b - +2 robe
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .    k - +2 buckler {rC+}
Res.Acid. : + . .   Res.Corr.  : +    j - +0 elf wizard hat
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    i - +0 elf cloak
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    (gloves unavailable)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    (boots unavailable)
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    D - amulet of resist corrosion
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .    M - ring of Vitality {Regen HP+15}
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .    C - ring of poison resistance

@: very quick, very resistant to hostile enchantments, extraordinarily stealthy
A: unfitting armour, see invisible, herbivore 3, speed 3, -10% hp, screaming 1,
slow metabolism 3
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion

You are on level 3 of the Orcish Mines.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 4 branches of the dungeon, and seen 27 of its levels.
You have visited 1 bazaar.
You have visited 1 portal chamber: ice cave.

You have collected 1498 gold pieces.
You have spent 540 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 a - a +2,+2 dagger of stabbing {=f}
 e - the +3,+3 dagger of Nihilism (weapon) {god gift, stab, rF+}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 1 of the Orcish Mines)   

It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.

It protects you from fire.
 g - a runed orcish dagger
 t - the +9,-2 quick blade of Qinen {god gift, drain, +Inv}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 10 of the Dungeon)   

A truly terrible weapon, it drains the life of those it strikes.

It lets you turn invisible.
 L - the blowgun "Laenanwe" {speed, Dex+3, was cursed}
   (You bought it in a shop in a bazaar)   

Attacks with this weapon take half as long, but cause slightly less damage.

It affects your dexterity (+3).
Missiles
 d - 30 +1 darts (quivered)
 n - 47 poisoned needles
 p - 4 steel darts
 r - a dart of dispersal
 A - 20 runed darts
 I - 2 poisoned darts
Armour
 b - a +2 robe (worn)
 i - a +0 elven cloak (worn)
 j - a +0 elven wizard hat (worn)
 k - a +2 buckler of cold resistance (worn)
Magical devices
 c - a wand of disintegration (17)
 B - a wand of heal wounds (9)
Comestibles
 P - 3 bread rations
 X - a honeycomb
Scrolls
 f - a scroll of blinking
 o - 2 scrolls of fear
 q - 2 scrolls of teleportation
 s - 2 scrolls of remove curse
 u - 2 scrolls of fog
 w - a scroll of enchant weapon I
 x - a scroll of amnesia
 z - 2 scrolls of detect curse
 E - a scroll labeled SAPUKLU THRAEMN
 F - a scroll labeled OWKYTO SKACVA
Jewellery
 C - a ring of poison resistance (left hand)
 D - an amulet of resist corrosion (around neck)
 K - an uncursed ring of protection from cold
 M - the ring of Vitality (right hand) {Regen HP+15}
   (You found it on level 17 of the Dungeon)   

[ring of regeneration]

It affects your health (+15).

This famed ring greatly improves its wearer's health.
Potions
 h - 3 potions of curing
 l - 2 potions of speed
 m - a potion of restore abilities
 G - a potion of invisibility
 J - 2 potions of heal wounds

Skills:
 - Level 6.0 Fighting
 - Level 11.2 Short Blades
 - Level 1.1 Throwing
 - Level 15.5 Dodging
 + Level 15.6 Stealth
 - Level 13.0 Stabbing
 * Level 7.0 Shields
 + Level 7.2 Traps & Doors
 - Level 7.1 Spellcasting
 - Level 15.0 Hexes
 - Level 3.2 Translocations
 + Level 6.4 Invocations
 + Level 2.2 Evocations

You have 5 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Corona                Hex            #######.     1%          1    None
b - Ensorcelled Hibernat  Ice/Hex        #####..      1%          2    None
c - Confuse               Hex            #######..    1%          3    Strawberry
d - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          4%          2    None
e - Invisibility          Hex            #######..    4%          6    Ration
f - Silence               Air/Hex        #####.....   17%         5    Honeycomb
g - Flight                Air/Chrm       ##........   34%         3    Strawberry

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (18/27)            Temple (1/1) D:4             Orc (3/4) D:9
   Lair (5/8) D:10          Swamp (0/5) Lair:4     
   Elf: Orc:3-4     Shoals: Lair:3-6     Snake: Lair:3-6     Vault: D:14-19

Shops:
D:4: +  D:10: %  Orc:3: !

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You are tiny and cannot use many weapons and most armour.
You have supernaturally acute eyesight.
You are a herbivore.
You cover ground extremely quickly.
You need consume almost no food.
You are frail (-10% HP).
You occasionally shout uncontrollably.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 11:01

I'm not too fond of the first for following reasons: Acc +6 isn't too important for SpEn, since you have Sure Blade if you need it (I'd get that spell, it's good, at least when you get a decent melee weapon), short blades are very accurate by themselves, and most importantly you are guaranteed to hit sleeping monsters. Int -3 is bad. EV +6 is good, but going from 30 to 36 EV isn't so good as going from, say, 6 to 12 EV because the latter will make a lot more difference in % of successful rolls. In addition, sleeping monsters don't hit you.
On the other hand stealth is uncapped and STR +2 may be irrelevant but not a penalty, unlike the other ring's INT malus.

You can always swap to the EV +6 ring if you suddenly need to run away from a ranged monster, swapping out a ring takes only a turn. The same goes for actual melee combat against a waking monster.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 11:22

lifecoder wrote:palin, you're right, I have used in-game 'anti-magic' brand, and wiki searches it only without dash.

Now there are the proper redirects ;)
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 15:17

What should I do to not glowing too much. I get a bunch of bad mutations after Inv+number of casts -> Glow+Contam. Should I rise Int or Spellcasting to deal with glow?

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too