YAVP - first 15-runer (DsFE)

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 15:15

YAVP - first 15-runer (DsFE)

My previous best was 8 runes, with a Mountain Dwarf Artificer of Nemelex back when they weren't extinct yet. I'd never been to Pan before and I hadn't done all of the hells yet either. Exploring unknown areas not knowing what dangers awaited me was kind of cool.

Morgue: http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.10/Hi ... 212717.txt
(The high armour skill is a waste, I know - I found a manual of armour after I was already at 1% success for my spells and wanted to see how much it would give me.)

I did some mutation roulette early on which gave me a level of carnivorism and quick movement speed, both of which I was able to keep for most of the game. Just that single level of meat appreciation was enough to make the food-eating minigame not annoying.

My goal for this game was to play around with fire storm and ring of flames and check out fun post-endgame stuff. I ended up not really using ring of flames because I got the Demonspawn mutation that caused blood to burst out in flames, and that already set everything on fire quite nicely and allowed me to walk through my own firestorms. My main attack spell for a lot of the game was Orb of Destruction, which was tons of fun combined with that mutation. I was just spraying chunks and flame clouds everywhere.

There were a few hairy situations. In Vaults:8 I nearly died repeatedly randomly teleporting to try to end up not in the middle of a clump of monsters (I'd forgotten that I had a cTele ring...). I was constricted by a tentacle monster near some ranged dudes while at low HP and my controlled blink, which was at 3% failure chance, failed. In Pandemonium I bailed out of a Zig early when several Orbs of Fire ruined my mutation set through my amulet of resist mutation. I also got in trouble on the Orb Run, not paying attention to what I was doing for long enough to end up low on health near a group of monsters including a tormentor.

Tomb was pretty terrible, mostly due to inadequate tactics on my part. I thought I could just firestorm the whole thing and had saved it for second-to-last before my final abyss trip so that I wouldn't have to worry about wasting perfectly good cure potions, but bringing like 14 of them was not enough to let that place end in hellfire. When I was running out of potions stairhopping to Tomb:3 I tried to catch as many guardian mummies as possible in my fire storm. Their death curses brought me down from full health to like 15 HP in one turn. After I ran out of cure potions, there was another horde of mummies waiting for me, including priests and greater mummies, so I changed tactics and randomly teleported hoping that the noise I'd made had lured all the monsters to the stairs. I ended up pretty near to the rune, said hi to Boris for the last time, and used a combination of luck, walking through fog, controlled blinks and haste to make it back to the stairs in one piece. Would getting more summoning and sending in dragons have been effective? In the past I'd found that my summons would get abjured too quickly to take care of Tomb:3, but those were weaker creatures.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 10th August 2012, 11:33

Re: YAVP - first 15-runer (DsFE)

Regarding firestorming Tomb:3.. I think it's best to stay on the stairs and hit the mummies when they just enter LOS. That way you won't kill too many in one go, and you can quickly go upstairs to recover MP & HP. With teleports you can only hope that your luck holds out..

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too