No! So close!

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 05:31

No! So close!

I had 2 of the 3 runes and was getting the last one from the slime pits. I was playing as an assassin and backstabbed the royal jelly not knowing it'd summon many jellies when I did. I had no scrolls because a golden dragon burned them all.

I am really devastated. This is the closest I've ever gotten to winning. :(

For this message the author snow has received thanks:
mageykun

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 06:12

Re: No! So close!

Uh, yeah. The Slime Pits is actually one of the hardest Runes in the game. You did well just to get that close to it with a melee character.

Which Runes did you get? The other two sub-Lair branch ones are generally the easiest, with Slime Pits being the super-hard exception to that rule. The Vaults and Abyss Runes are fairly easy to get, too.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 06:23

I'm new to this game and didn't really know what I was doing. There was a golden dragon guarding the rune in the vaults and I couldn't kill it so I thought I'd go for the rune in the slime pits. Well on the good side I've learned a lot from this run and will make less mistakes on my next one and hopefully win. :D

I had the rune from the shoals and the snake pits. The swamps didn't spawn in my game.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 06:32

Wow. Slime is not where I would go for my third rune. It's a nasty place. Still, props for making it all the way to the royal jelly with a mele character, especially as it sounds like you went in unspoiled to the nastiness of slime.

...and for effectively playing a SpBe. Love those guys, XD

Advice:

You cleared snake, and I'm guessing the swamp? Would have been safer to try the vaults, or the abyss for rune # 3. My usual rune order is swamp/shoals/snake, vaults:8, abyss, slime.

You lost all your scrolls to one dragon? There's none in slime. You had a chance to restock- it helps to leave extra scrolls in your stash so you can replace them if they all get burned out. You only need to carry 2 or 3 identifies, teleports, remove curses, etc at a time. Save the rest till you need them.

Acid damage increases if you have exposed body parts- ie, empty equipment slots. So bring a hat next time. And to avoid the corrosion, wear artifacts, or burn your pile of enchant armor scrolls to make +5 or better gear- they're immune. Same applies for weapons, you do not want to be wielding a minus 4 dagger! o_o

Edit: gah, double ninja-ed!

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 07:35

If you are holding a stack of 10 items is it possible to drop just 5? I've been trying to figure out how to do this for the longest time because of weight issues.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 07:51

Yarp - from the item menu, type the number you want to drop before selecting it.

Super useful!
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 07:58

Hit d, number you want to drop, then inventory letter. I find this won't work if you try and enter the number via numpad.

You can do the same thing when thing when picking up stuff too! Hit , then * and it opens an inventory for the stuff on the floor, and lets you set numbers and pick items the same way you drop them.

Edit: ...why can't I ever post before someone beats me no more. -_- I got beat by a slug! In a possibly ponderous hat!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 12:08

snow wrote:I'm new to this game and didn't really know what I was doing. There was a golden dragon guarding the rune in the vaults and I couldn't kill it so I thought I'd go for the rune in the slime pits. Well on the good side I've learned a lot from this run and will make less mistakes on my next one and hopefully win. :D

I had the rune from the shoals and the snake pits. The swamps didn't spawn in my game.

You'll get it next time! Or possibly a few times after that, but eventually for sure.

If you're trying to get something a monster is guarding, you can let the monster see you at the edge of your vision and retreat while just barely giving the monster enough time to keep up. If you keep bouncing it at the edge of your vision, you can lead it wherever you want, leave it there, and then swoop in to grab the goodies. While killing things is usually convenient, it isn't strictly necessary.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 18:57

My first winner-character stabbed royal Jelly just fine.
  Code:
176816 | Slime:6 | Entered Level 6 of the Pits of Slime
177702 | Slime:6 | Found a viscous altar of Jiyva.
177706 | Slime:6 | Noticed the royal jelly
177708 | Slime:6 | Defeated the royal jelly

One-shotted it without spawning a lot of other jellies - maybe one or two at most.

But I went to Slime at 25-26 XP-level after I cleared all other simple rune-branches (already had 3 runes)

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 19:58

One-shotting the Royal Jelly means no spawns. Stab it, but deal slightly too little damage (and your brand finishes it off) and Hir majesty will spawn over a dozen jellies before dying.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 02:29

mageykun wrote:You can do the same thing when thing when picking up stuff too! Hit , then * and it opens an inventory for the stuff on the floor, and lets you set numbers and pick items the same way you drop them.

g g does this too

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too