CIP DDHu What to do now?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 6th July 2012, 05:20

CIP DDHu What to do now?

Xor.txt
(20.96 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

Okay, first I need to figure out how to imbed morgue file, but lemme explain my decision.

First off, Hunter. I tend to get ravaged by the first ogre and murdered by the first tough unique as a fighter or a mage, respectively, or just die somewhere just out of the lair in either case. My best run was with a HuHu, but he got crap drops and died under a huge mob of orcs along with Saint Roka. Found a sweet slaying ring as my first one, and that said the tune for the rest of my play.

So I crushed the lair with no trouble at all, just berserk dragon-slaying the hydras with my nice spear. The death yaks I just lined up in a hallway, berserked, and just shot piercing bolts till they were all a pile of mush. This pretty much spelled how I crushed the Orc mines, find choke-point, piercing bolts, win. No high priests and only like one sorcerer, so I got lucky. Had a couple tight moments with a gang of bolt slinging orcs shooting my steels back at me. Didn't know they did that.

I poked my head in Elf and cleared a couple floors, and went down a bit further, but I have no idea what to do now. Finish Elf? Go Shoals? Go deeper? Go kill Demons in Lair temple? This is by far my most promising character, barring one overconfident fire elementalist.

Armor drops, on the other hand, have been crap. I have a bunch of ammo and bolts stashed away, and found the crossbow in a volcano. The trident is good for SInv and I like that the spear lets me chew on poisonous corpses and allows me to get the most out of my berserk.

But yes, I've never won before, so I probably made some bad skill choices, and my max MP reservoir looks a little low, but I think I'm doing okay. Nothing has appeared so far that has been a threat that berserk, Trog hand, and BiN hasn't been able to deal with. But, in short, now I'm concerned.

Plus armor drops have been kinda crap. The current mail is an exception, but even that is not great. RElec was too good to pass up.

I've been lurking for a long time, and I know the first one is a "help me!" post, and I'm sorry. But...help me!

EDIT: How do I know when Wyrmbane's effect that increases its inchantment has gone active? I've killed a few dragons and nothing has happened so far.

EDIT EDIT: Also, evolution mutation when I made the poor decision to stick sky beast flesh in my face. Woo...that is good, right?
Last edited by Nobuharu on Friday, 6th July 2012, 05:47, edited 2 times in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th July 2012, 05:32

Re: CIP DDHu What to do now?

rElec is almost worthless. Not many threatening monsters use electricity, and no threatening monsters use it at this stage of the game - Nikola can be dealt with with a potion of resistance. So wear some plate armour, if you can find an enchanted one it's good, but even a +0 one is way better than your current armour. Wearing your current armour is a bigger threat to your HP (and maxMP!) than a lack of permanent rElec.

Your Polearms skill is too high, but that can't be changed. I suggest that you train some Fighting now, though, because in addition to increasing your maximal HP it also helps your damage in accuracy in melee (I think only in melee?). You don't need a lot, but 10-15 would help. Then I would continue training some Crossbows. Also, blade traps and the like suck when you don't have natural regeneration, and ~5-8 Traps&Doors is very little investment that will be useful now and later on, so get that somewhere along the way.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 6th July 2012, 05:33

to post your morgue file, copy the text and paste it into your post between
  Code:
[code] and [/code]
tags

honestly I think your skilling is fine (assuming that Wyrmbane is as fast as it will go), you could work on fighting next.

Scale mail is generally not recommended - do you have any plate armour? If you don't the scale is probably fine for now, but Orcish Mines has a good chance of providing a rC or rF plate

You could probably explore some Swamp and/or go back to the Dungeon, planning to visit Vaults soon. If you go to Swamp:5 be very cautious, you're a little lower leveled for that and the biggest reward will be in your mind.

I'm a bit confused on how you would berserk and use a crossbow, I tried that once and was forced to retreat instead.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 6th July 2012, 05:42

cerebovssquire wrote:rElec is almost worthless. Not many threatening monsters use electricity, and no threatening monsters use it at this stage of the game - Nikola can be dealt with with a potion of resistance. So wear some plate armour, if you can find an enchanted one it's good, but even a +0 one is way better than your current armour. Wearing your current armour is a bigger threat to your HP (and maxMP!) than a lack of permanent rElec.

Your Polearms skill is too high, but that can't be changed. I suggest that you train some Fighting now, though, because in addition to increasing your maximal HP it also helps your damage in accuracy in melee (I think only in melee?). You don't need a lot, but 10-15 would help. Then I would continue training some Crossbows. Also, blade traps and the like suck when you don't have natural regeneration, and ~5-8 Traps&Doors is very little investment that will be useful now and later on, so get that somewhere along the way.

Hmm. Okay. I just kept getting toasted by enemies with annoying elec branded weapons, and random electric eels were just chipping away at me. It might have been how the cookie crumbled.

I might go dive back into Orc mines to get me a good plate, then. I only found a +1 orc plate for the time being, guess I'll put that on.

What makes plate so much better than the scale when the AC value is the same at lower EV penalty?

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 6th July 2012, 05:44

rchandra wrote:to post your morgue file, copy the text and paste it into your post between
  Code:
[code] and [/code]
tags

honestly I think your skilling is fine (assuming that Wyrmbane is as fast as it will go), you could work on fighting next.

Scale mail is generally not recommended - do you have any plate armour? If you don't the scale is probably fine for now, but Orcish Mines has a good chance of providing a rC or rF plate

You could probably explore some Swamp and/or go back to the Dungeon, planning to visit Vaults soon. If you go to Swamp:5 be very cautious, you're a little lower leveled for that and the biggest reward will be in your mind.

I'm a bit confused on how you would berserk and use a crossbow, I tried that once and was forced to retreat instead.

Whoops, I wrote beserk and meant haste. Found a lot of speed potions this time through. The I just berserk when faced with a hallway of guys and just shred through them. Elephants are particularly fun. The polarms skill was so I stopped getting more +1 bolts of uselessness and maybe a second good pole. Trogs gift's have kinda sucked, no antimag to be seen.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 6th July 2012, 07:25

There are two advantages to plate as compared to highly-enchanted scale: GDR and higher AC possibility. The higher AC potential is the more important.

The higher AC comes from being able to enchant the plate more, and from your Armour skill enhancing it - both of these are improved proportional to the base AC, 10 for plate vs 5 (I think) for scale.

GDR is guaranteed damage resistance, basically your worst-case melee damage scenario is less bad with better armour. More details at http://crawl.develz.org/info/inline.php?q=gdr

If you are short on enchant armour scrolls and have low armour skill , a well-enchanted lesser armour like scale might be worth using temporarily, but I'm not sure.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too