YAVP!!! MiBe: i am THE SLAYER!!!

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 30th June 2012, 22:30

YAVP!!! MiBe: i am THE SLAYER!!!

When I started this character I choose it only because it's a strong combo, and I was hoping to streak with my last win.
I never imagined a single melee character could find so much slaying bonus in a single game :o - for Crom, I've actually found more slaying in this game than in all my others combined! :twisted:

As you can see from the dump, I've won with a whopping +22 DAM - I fear you can only vaguely wonder how is (abu)sing a character like this: enemies don't simply get destroyed. They are pulverized, annihilated, utterly canceled by DCSS's multiple planes of existence in a blink.
1es, uniques whatever is nasty, isn't a danger when is killed swiftly and mercilessly - for instance, I killed Ignacio in a single swing! :D It means more than 250 pure divine fury in one turn!

I actually was thinking to streak a 3-runes character, but after I've found a +6 plate with +6 DAM in Lair (yes, it means for a lot of time I had +24DAM), the +3DAM in Orc:4 and Slaying rings scattered all around the dungeons, I understood this Minotaur was born to rape demons' lord, and couldn't really leave with only 3 runes.
Oh, yes - I've found others slaying ring too - a +0,+5 and a +4,+4, plus the fencer's gloves - too bad I couldn't get another pair of hands!

Furthermore, it has been the first time I've tried antimagic in extended and, man, it really need a nerf: it's good against almost anything, and insanely awesome against uniques lord.
I didn't use much against 1es (they reliably died in 1 or 2 turns), but with Lords has been insane: Lom died without having the change to take a single action, Mnoleg suffered the same fate, while Cerebov managed to firestorm 1 time, and Gloorx casted two time the miasma. Expect Antaeus, I believe all hells' lord died without casting anything - they only managed to score some psychical hits.

Dump: http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.10/na ... 215233.txt
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 1st July 2012, 00:43

Re: YAVP!!! MiBe: i am THE SLAYER!!!

Gratz!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st July 2012, 18:40

That looked more like 3 swings against Ignacio to me on the TV, though one hit did take him to the red :P

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 1st July 2012, 23:15

nago wrote:it's good against almost anything

It's good against spellcasting monsters if your char is not doing much spellcasting and if you have a strong melee attack. If you are doing much spellcasting, if the enemy is not a caster or if your melee damage is subpar then it sucks. You had a pretty significant amount of slaying and the chances of spellcasting monsters missing a turn is based on damage dealt. I personally think antimagic is one of the more interesting brands. I admit it is very powerful when used by the right char against the right opponent but maybe before we start nerfing or buffing anything we need to remember these preconditions.

Congrats anyways.

Edit. Antimagic is also somewhat rare for a non-troglyte and cannot be created via weapon blessing or brand spell.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 2nd July 2012, 13:29

Mankeli wrote:
nago wrote:it's good against almost anything

It's good against spellcasting monsters if your char is not doing much spellcasting and if you have a strong melee attack. If you are doing much spellcasting, if the enemy is not a caster or if your melee damage is subpar then it sucks. You had a pretty significant amount of slaying and the chances of spellcasting monsters missing a turn is based on damage dealt. I personally think antimagic is one of the more interesting brands. I admit it is very powerful when used by the right char against the right opponent but maybe before we start nerfing or buffing anything we need to remember these preconditions.

Congrats anyways.

Edit. Antimagic is also somewhat rare for a non-troglyte and cannot be created via weapon blessing or brand spell.

Except it's easy enough to cast the spells that a primary melee is going to want (haste, rMissile, swiftness, fly) and then switch to the axe afterward. It's not like it reduces the enchantments already cast. The only big downside IMO are god powers, like summon angel, which you can't use as easily as an escape button to harry and delay.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd July 2012, 14:22

Some brands might find more use on certain items if the brand applied when the item was thrown (eg: branded handaxe or dagger).

Throw that dagger of antimagic at the wizard, then rush him.

In other news, congrats!
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 2nd July 2012, 14:32

rebthor wrote:[
Except it's easy enough to cast the spells that a primary melee is going to want (haste, rMissile, swiftness, fly) and then switch to the axe afterward. It's not like it reduces the enchantments already cast. The only big downside IMO are god powers, like summon angel, which you can't use as easily as an escape button to harry and delay.

It's easy to cast those spell even without unwielding antimagic weapon (at least for a higher level char). Haste, rMissile and swiftness is 10 points combined which means you need about 30 max MPs. Flight really doesn't belong in that list though, if we are talking about useful buffs before a tough fight list as it is only useful on rare occasions (also various sources of levitation).

And the bolded part means pretty much the same thing that I meant by "not casting spells much". I don't undestand how you came to the conclusion that I was suggesting spellcasting to be impossible with antimagic.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 7th July 2012, 14:32

cerebovssquire wrote:That looked more like 3 swings against Ignacio to me on the TV, though one hit did take him to the red :P

Artistic license :P All heroes magnify their deeds when telling their tales, why shouldn't I? :lol:
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
Herode2

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too