Mummy Summoner Late game advice?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 03:49

Mummy Summoner Late game advice?

Hello, this is one of about 20 my late game characters, I never won the game, but I usually die trying to get out with orb. I have haunt and Sif Muna to efficiently spam it. Problem is, I used deck of change, and now I have 15 Int and 29 str (Thanks, shuffle!), so I gave up and went to pandemonium, because I never went there before. I killed few levels, and now I'm in the same level with Gloorx. I'm pretty sure I can take him out with mass haunt. I'm lvl uping in the abyss for now (I self-banished myself, so still have to return to pen). My int is low, and Pan is too much for 25 level character. Should I fight for it, or grind isnt worth it? What skills should I level up?
Attachments
abqr.txt
(55.58 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 05:24

Re: Mummy Summoner Late game advice?

Raise only Summoning until you have Summon Horrible Things at a better success rate. Then get Summon Dragon (optional.) You don't need any other skills. (OK after that get controlled blink and haste. But that's not necessary.)

I was going to recommend Zot for XP, but you haven't even finished D yet. Why are you doing Pan before clearing the dungeon? Go back and do D22-27 than Zot 1-4. With haunt and infinite mp cheat this should be easy. It should also get you enough Summonings for Summon Dragon. Then summon dragons at things until you have 15 runes.

P.S. For others: How well does summon ugly things scale later in the game? My MuSu used it exclusively until he switched to dragons, but I wonder how it would fare in Zot, for example. is 3-4 very uglies and ~15 uglies going to be enough to kill draconians and whatever?

Edit: This is a CIP and oughta be in the yavp etc forum

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 05:30

My bad about forum confusion. I went to pan simply because I gave up after my stats were messed up, just to see whats its like. Should I kill Gloorx and then look for an exit? What about other lords? And since I have only 15 int, spaming horrible things seems improbable, maybe just as an escape option.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 06:36

If you have two sustab equipped, summon horrible things will never drain int (since 1d3 /2 /2 rounds down to 0)

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
Ivan

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 07:09

Patashu wrote:If you have two sustab equipped, summon horrible things will never drain int (since 1d3 /2 /2 rounds down to 0)

I didn't know that, thanks. Unfortunately, all my rings are back at the lair, and equipping both of them means ill have 11 int. but ill probably will be able to spam it anyways, so thanks.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 07:47

Recently I managed to escape the dungeon with the orb with a MuSu, too. (2nd win)
Your stats are messed up, that is plain, but I would not give up yet. I started spamming dragons with a success rate about 26%, just like your abominations. In the end
it had 12% success.
So I would try to spam Horrible Things. Even one ring of Sustain Abilities may suffice because you can sit the drained Int out without having to fear hunger.
You have to be very patient, though.

For the further development of your skills I would suggest to stop training Invocations. You will not get it past 20 and its bonuses do not best the profit from
getting your summonings more reliable. And its bonuses do not grow linearly, but in a discrete way. (It gets somewhat better every 4th Invocations level).
And because you are a summoner, you might have enough HP now. You used to kill many creatures yourself. I would
stop that immediately and let your summons do the dirty work. So focus on summonings. The tentacled monstrosities take care of very many threats in the late game
because of their constricting attack. And they all hit quite hard.

Next time, I would train more Translocations and Charms instead of Necromancy. I didn´t even learn Haunt. Don´t bother with elemental magic, too, at least
not until you have finished a plain MuSu.
Attachments
Felixamun.txt
(68.85 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 16:58

Ok, ill farm abyss till I get good summoning rate. If you banish yourself through zot trap in pan, will the abyss exit still lead to pan?

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 17:13

Why would you farm abyss when you still have D and Zot open?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 19:14

pan is probably too much for characters who step on zot traps to farm abyss, yes
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 23:31

He's farming abyss because he can't get gloorx's rune yet but doesn't want to lose the chance.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 21st June 2012, 07:20

To answer your question:

Since you are playing 0.10.2, you will return to Pan/Zig if you get banished there or banish yourself. Prior to 0.10, you returned to the dungeons and therefore could exit Pan through the Abyss.

So it is strongly recommended to finish the Dungeons and Zot 1-4 first. In the later Dungeon levels you will find portals to the Abyss if you want to farm there.
This is a much safer way to enter the Abyss than hopping on Zot-Traps or unwielding your Axe of distortion.

Good luck, you will need some.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too