YASD - actually let's look on the bright side

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st January 2011, 20:09

YASD - actually let's look on the bright side

So little Grimm the MDFi got clawed apart, but I'd like to honour his memory by recalling his greatest achievement.

DL 4 I think it was, he was at XL 5, turns a corner and sees two things: green water indicating the presence of the sewers, and SIGMUND. Greed takes over my mind and I decide to make a run for the sewers and deal with Sigs later. It's that corridor sewer entryway, and as I charge down it I am reminded by the emergence of a large green fish that there is usually a large green fish in such entryways. And Siggy's right behind me. He goes invisible. I frantically check my gear for tele scrolls, might pots, anything - not a sausage. All I've got is an empty wand of cold and a wand of frost which is of little use. I do the only thing I can: try to cut my way through the fish towards the relative safety of the sewers.

Miraculously, it works. With a mere teaspoonful of hitpoints to spare, I manage to dive into the sewers leaving that invisible harvester ranting back in the dungeon. I rest up a bit and do the sewers. It's that spiral one with the two frogs in the center - two frogs are quite a challenge at this point. But I've got no choice. I march forth, cutting down snakes and newts to the right and to the left. Happily, I gain XL 6 right away.

I finally get to the center and both frogs come at me at once. I take a couple of severe hits, then pull out my wand of frost: bang, bang, bang. I am able to weaken them just enough to put in some killing axe blows. Frog's legs are now on the menu. Even better, they put me to XL 7. I scoop up the meagre loot and consider my position. With two more XLs, I am feeling a bit better about facing the madman. Hopefully in the interim he's left the sewer entrance area. If all goes well I will be able to slip down a staircase before meeting him again. I do a thorough inventory: reading all my scrolls, I find I've picked up a recharge scroll. I reload the cold wand then stride purposefully out to meet my fate.

He's been waiting for me all along. I have no option but to fight. Without a moment's hesitation I open fire with the wand. (Or, um, open cold I suppose.) And it works! He goes down like a crumbling freezepop in three shots! I've done it. I've snatched victory from the jaws of certain defeat, cleared the tough sewers and punished Sigmund all at once.

Unfortunately Grimm's death at XL 9 came in a similar pin situation to the one with Sigmund and the fish. I had a troll before me and an imp behind, but this time the imp refused to vacate the premises in a timely fashion. I should have known better - there were a number of tough customers elsewhere on that level and I could have skipped it easily. Youngsters, heed my words: when in doubt, run!

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, Zicher

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 01:10

Re: YASD - actually let's look on the bright side

Pretty good tale. Epic fearless charges forward don't work out that often.

So... I take it your lucky wand of cold was empty by the time the imp pinned you?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 01:22

Yep, it was cashed out. It had been a pretty resource-poor game; I'd only found those two wands and one ring (MR) by DL 9. On the other hand I'd got an early crossbow. C'est la Crawl.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 06:42

Great story, a fun read! You sure got lucky in the Sigmund-big fish sandwich, what with you flailing in the water and surrounded by a particularly tough unique and an OOD spawn.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 07:13

It's little victories like these that make the endless unfair carnage of my characters stomachable.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too