YASD: my first drowning story

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 25th January 2011, 18:49

YASD: my first drowning story

so here i am on shoals:2 with a very decent, fairly likeable level-13 vampire enchanter of sif muna (after a couple bad experiences i had decided to go with some other god for this game, and i find an altar for her at d:2, it figures). decent build, no weapons (still using a dagger of protection +1) but good armor (25 with the dagger, wearing leather). a decent selection of low-level utility spells and 2-3 levels on translocations, summonings and necromancy, and sif had just started gifting books. and as a plus a couple ok mutations i got on the early levels (and a couple of bad ones that had no effect when undead).

probably a bit out of my depth on shoals (yet to enter swamp, yet to find hive), but i'm just sightseeing with boots of levitation and an amulet of controlled flight. i find polyphemus herding four death yaks, and a single one made me run away of lair:7, but they are stranded on a island and i can pick them off one by one, which i do, for easy experience. with only polyphemus standing, a snapping turtle comes out of nowhere, gets in a few lucky hits and i'm in the red zone. dumb mistake, but nothing i can't fix, and instead of teleporting i say let's run away in bat form and come back later at a better time. your +2 boots of levitation meld into our body...

is this intended behaviour? i assumed i'd go from one flying form to the other.

also: this afternoon i was catching up on forums/dev pages reading and there's quite a bit of flak on vampires. they're a lot of fun!
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 25th January 2011, 20:01

Re: YASD: my first drowning story

It's a reported bug, pretty unfortunate way to die. :(

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 25th January 2011, 20:34

Re: YASD: my first drowning story

ah, i should've checked on mantis, but i had to rant first!
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too