YAVP! MfIE of Fedhas - 0 points of rF > 3 orbs of fire

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 04:55

YAVP! MfIE of Fedhas - 0 points of rF > 3 orbs of fire

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/thecl ... 043408.txt

Despite the fact that I ran into a 2 separate groups of 3 orbs of fire, once without any rF on, I managed to pull off a victory. I had to swap between my crazy staff and my trident and stair dance a bit, but I managed to separate them and kill them. I had no channeling, so I burned through my pots of magic super-fast; I used 3 on a single orb at one point. I eventually had to leave the dungeon and run back to the Lair to grab some dragon armour, though.

I had 8 Oklobs set up on Zot5 and they destroyed all of them in about 5 turns as I was running away. I also had problems with monsters coming from the left side and running into my oklobs while I was on the right, so I used Rain to turn the choke on the left side of the entry to the vault into deep water.

Highlights:
  Code:
119421 | Zot:1    | Noticed an orb of fire
119421 | Zot:1    | Noticed an orb of fire
119427 | Zot:1    | Noticed an orb of fire
122836 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
122837 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
122838 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire

By the end the only fruit left in the whole dungeon were the 4 strawberries in my inventory. This was the first time I had ever played Fedhas, that should tell you how powerful she is. Mushrooms and oklobs saved my ass so many times. Sunlight is not very good. Reproduction doesn't have enough range to be very useful, I found. Since I was meleeing a lot, the corpses that I wanted to turn into spores were right next to me and I didn't want to chance getting confused. I didn't use Rain much, since I had some food problems, because I didn't find any bee hives until I was like lvl20.

That staff was crazy, if I had found it earlier, I wouldn't have gone with polearms, but would have been more of a caster, instead of a hyrbid. I didn't really have enough killing power without my trident to do much with it.

My conclusion from this game:
WOOD FOR THE WOOD GOD!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 14:42

Re: YAVP! MfIE of Fedhas - 0 points of rF > 3 orbs of fire

Well done.

Orbs of fire can toss some nasty attacks, but their far bigger threat is mutating you to death.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 15:01

Uh, what? Fireballs and bolts of fire than can deal up to 120 damage shot at 15 speed are much worse than some bad mutations. Sure, some are crippling, but the one thing that cripples a character most is death, hands down. What you're saying is only true for charatcers with rF++(+) and no rMut, and not for this character who had no convenient source of rF, but rMut.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 15:38

True, that. I should know better than to spout off numbers about damage when I don't consult the bots often enough. Apologies.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 21:19

Thanks for the story. Sunlight has its use, but it is the first ability only, after all. As a non-MF/Oc, you would value its drying potential more, trust me :) Reproduction can be awesome but is harder to utilise than mushrooms and oklobs, at least for me. Good thinking on blocking one lung with water!

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too