YAFVP! DsWz

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 12th November 2011, 05:30

YAFVP! DsWz

I've been playing for a couple of months now. One thing I clearly am not is fast, with 52 hours on this game and about two weeks from when I started. The hardest part I find is knowing which skill to raise; the first skill I got to 15 was around turn 120k.

The demonspawn mutations definitely worked in my favor; getting the bonus 10% HP (later 30%) saved me at least once, and probably a couple of other times as well. The bone plates were also vital as I was hurting for AC the whole game (they ended up being almost half my total AC). An early volcano in Orc:1 supplied some nice +2 boots of fire resistance that I wore until the talons mutation removed that slot. I kept hoping to find better gear; at one point a neqoxec gave me a beak, removing the helmet slot and forcing me to switch to the spell as I had not found any other source of see invis. I found plenty of artifact weapons, and lots of armour that was too heavy for me - as a typical example, the bailey on D:9 had a +2 GDA - but nothing appropriate for a spellcaster.

The shops were the most disappointing. Between a bazaar (scroll and wand shops) and Orc (3 food shops in Orc!) and a trove (completely worthless) I never managed to find much worth buying other than consumables. I also ran fulsome distillation for most of the game, collecting mutation potions in case I ever wanted to play mutation roulette. I think I ended with sometihing on the order of 40 mut potions stashed.

I think I need to learn better where to use consumables; I'm pretty sure I lost more to fire/ice (mostly at the end of the game in Zot) than I actually used during the game.

The morgue file is at http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/instar/morgue-instar-20111112-034932.txt as it is too long to include here.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 14th November 2011, 20:32

Re: YAFVP! DsWz

you can post a character file using the [code][/code] tag and it will make it readable.

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2011, 05:40

Re: YAFVP! DsWz

Congrats!

How did you like Tukima's Dance? Did you use it much? I always hesitate to learn hex spells unless I am an enchanter since so many of them seem to be all-or-nothing.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too