YAVP: 5-rune HaBe^TSO (Tomb 4th, demonic 5th)

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 17th April 2022, 11:25

YAVP: 5-rune HaBe^TSO (Tomb 4th, demonic 5th)

http://crawl.montres.org.uk/morgue/dame ... 015352.txt

It's been a while - my last win was in January, and I've splatted a wide selection of characters since - but this HaBe got home; it's my first win where I've switched gods en route, other than very early game good god swaps. I think it is pretty clear a sensible person would not have gone to Tomb with Trog wrath still active, even if it was "just there" after Crypt.

I got a hunting sling on D:1 and so immediately started training that up; I'd find a random +some flail early which would do for berserking stuff down.

I went to Orc:1 not Lair first because there were a lot of shops on D:5 and I was hoping to score enough gold to buy some randarts; these included +3 boots with {rElec Str+2} which I'd use all game; I did then get a surplus of rElec on other items but they were still worth having.

Lair and Orc seem to have been fine; emperor scorpions gave me a few nasty moments in Spider but at the bottom Trog gifted me a +9 fusti with {speed, MR+ Str+9 Int+4 Dex-2}. Trog would then give me an enormous number of hunting slings which I dropped the lot of; I don't think gods have much long-term memory.

Shoals was fine, but maddeningly I identified acquirement with one still left in an antique shop, causing it to cost 2000 gold not 40 or so. I'd only buy it much later. I did get a manual of Stealth (which I cashed; I did squeeze out a pip of Stealth but this was probably still wasted XP given I ended the game in a CPA).

After Shoals I worked down D, hitting an ice cave where I picked up said CPA (of cold resistance). Marvellous! I'd wear it all game. I also hit a trove wanting 18 potions of curing; even if I bought all the ones out there, I'd only have one left, but I decided to chance it, getting a trove with evocables and a manual of Evocations. I got a lot of mileage out of my lamp of fire and lightning rod, so this paid off nicely.

Cleaned out Elf, getting another acquirement and the crown of Dyrovepreva - not amazing with rElec on my boots, but the SInv was nice and the Int didn't hurt once I abandoned Trog.

I cleared down Vaults; things seemed to be OK and I went straight to V:5, which didn't present too much of a problem. I finally bought the scroll of acquirement with the gold from V:5, but the best choice was a scarf with {Spirit, rElec} which I took just on the off chance I got an amazing helmet to replace Dyrovepreva.

Depths was next (for some reason it was full of juggernauts), and then I abandoned Trog for TSO and went to Crypt. Crypt was more than enough for full piety; I bought all the consumables and went to Tomb.

Going to Tomb with Trog wrath was, as mentioned, a mistake. I'd teleport away from Trog summons and land in the corridor of greater mummies, and there was a certain amount of desperately teleporting in an effort to land somewhere not-horrible. By around the time I got to Tomb:2 Trog forgave me and from there Tomb was relatively plain sailing, using the approach of making a tremendous amount of noise on arrival and then teleporting away.

Four runes, but I thought I'd try for one or two more; I cleared the Vestibule but then decided I preferred Pandemonium. The first rune to turn up was a demonic rune vault I hadn't seen before, and I felt that was enough; I exited through the Abyss but found an exit almost immediately so didn't try for that rune.

Bought all the consumables again and to Zot; I'd learned OTR just beforehand which chewed up draconian packs nicely. Zot:5 mostly had ancient liches, but I got brainlessness off an orb of fire (Stoat Soup copies the Gooncrawl-ism of giving OOFs a deterioration attack to replace malmutate) and had to use the fusti with its Int+4 for a while.

The orbrun had nothing serious until D:8 (two panlords, killed one, dodged the other) but on D:1 a panlord Abyssed me to A:5 and I did kind of wonder if this was going to be my first orbrun death. However, an exit popped up almost immediately and I ran around the panlord (which was in sight when I left) to the exit.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 17th April 2022, 14:52

Re: YAVP: 5-rune HaBe^TSO (Tomb 4th, demonic 5th)

Nice one, although I do feel sorry for Trog. I also won a HaBe with 5 runes (the boring usual 5-rune set) in DCSS 0.14.

damerell wrote:(Stoat Soup copies the Gooncrawl-ism of giving OOFs a deterioration attack to replace malmutate)

Hmm, so in a 3-rune game you probably won't face any malmutators? How do potions of mutation work in Stoat Soup, are they the same as in DCSS?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 18th April 2022, 12:53

Sprucery wrote:Hmm, so in a 3-rune game you probably won't face any malmutators? How do potions of mutation work in Stoat Soup, are they the same as in DCSS?

In almost any game; Mnoleg is unchanged, but neqoxecs get paralyse and cacodemons entropic weave. I think we basically agree with the Goons that malmutate isn't very dangerous but also incredibly annoying, so it's bad all around; whereas an OOF being able to hammer your stats is dangerous in the short term but less annoying in the long run.

Potions of mutation are like vanilla, but we still have purple chunks to eat. Zin removes mutations on a gift timeout, but that's mostly irrelevant now.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th April 2022, 23:58

You had 12 potions of mutation left. Why didn't you quaff some to get a nice set of good mutations?

Do shining eyes still have malmutate?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 19th April 2022, 13:18

Sprucery wrote:You had 12 potions of mutation left. Why didn't you quaff some to get a nice set of good mutations?

Partly because I'm a halfling and partly because I forgot. Ahem.

Do shining eyes still have malmutate?

No, Polymorph, but I haven't fought a post-change shining eye yet.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too