YASD: FoIE

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 10th February 2022, 12:51

YASD: FoIE

https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... cordia.txt

My 2nd attempt to win a Nemelex' Choice combo is still alive. It's also the only FoIE that's currently in the running for the 9th spot. Good for me since I play somewhat slowly :D

(The first one died because I like gambling too much. First my TeEn got Xom from a faded altar, then he blind quaffed !lig whilst 2 tiles away from a Halbert Blork. Even though he then quaffed !invis and ?aquired a +6 bardiche, Blork won the poking contest. A bit sad, but I can laugh about it now.)

I got 2 items that I build the character around, a lajatang and the +3 cloak of Neofea {-Tele Str+8 Dex+3}. Formicids don't care about -Tele :D Because of the cloak I've put some points into strength rather than min-maxing Int.
I got Ely from a faded altar.
I'd really like to learn Discord (which was in a book I found), and Shatter (which I haven't found yet).

I consider aiming for a banner, perhaps Vow of Courage Tier 3: In a single game, get six runes before entering the Depths. I'm not entirely certain I can pull that off though. I'm thinking this character with TSO + Shatter + !lig might be enough to do Tomb before Depths, but that could also be a good way to lose her. I don't think I've ever done a pre-Depths Tomb, so advice here is most welcome.

The next most obvious branch is Snake, which is a little hairy.
Perhaps I should memorise Ensorcelled Hibernation and/or Inner Flame?

Character overview is here:
  Code:
petercordia the Cruncher (FoIE)                    Turns: 33740, Time: 02:31:31

Health: 152/152    AC: 19    Str: 23    XL:     17   Next: 38%
Magic:  30/30      EV: 16    Int: 23    God:    Elyvilon [******]
Gold:   1634       SH: 13    Dex: 19    Spells: 19/35 levels left

rFire   + + .      SeeInvis +   b - +1 lajatang
rCold   . . .      Faith    .   l - +0 kite shield
rNeg    . . .      Spirit   .   P - +2 ring mail {Will+}
rPois   +          Reflect  .   (helmet unavailable)
rElec   .          Harm     .   s - +3 cloak of Neofea {-Tele Str+8 Dex+3}
rCorr   .          Rampage  .   A - +2 pair of gloves
Will    ++...                   V - +1 pair of boots
Stlth   ++++......              p - amulet of Vitality {Regen+ HP+15}
HPRegen 1.15/turn               N - +6 ring of intelligence
MPRegen 0.22/turn               M - ring of the Eleven Lies {rPois rF++ Int-4 Dex+5}

@: studying Unarmed Combat
A: permanent stasis, dig shafts and tunnels, antennae 3, four strong arms
a: Dig, Shaft Self, Renounce Religion, Purification, Heal Other, Heal Self,
Divine Vigour

Artefacts in the game are these:
  Code:
a  +3 cloak {-Tele Str+8 Dex+3}
b  amulet of Vitality {Regen+ HP+15}
c  ring {Fire, rPois, Int+5}
d  ring {rPois, rF++, Int-4, Dex+5}
e  -2 buckler {Int+2, Slay+3}
===
f  +18 Shield of the Gong {rElec, rN+, Will+, EV-5}  (2919 gold)
g  +1 robe of Vines {NoPotionHeal, Regen++++}
h  +1 robe {MP+9, Dex+3, Archmagi}
i  +0 chain mail {-Tele, rElec, Int+8, Dex+9}

would you recommend building towards any of these artefacts? I rather fancy the Shield of the Gong, the Int+ chainmail and the Archmagi artefact robe, but none of them are entirely ideal. Snake's in the game, so I might find a good shield there.

I wouldn't suffer much from the robe of Vines' NoPotionHeal, but it sacrificing MR+ and AC to receive Regen++++ sounds really lacklustre.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 18th February 2022, 14:15

Re: YASD: FoIE

https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... 140006.txt

So I managed to get 6 runes before entering the depths.
It turns out that TreeForm + TSO + Shatter + the new Brilliance makes short work of Tomb.

The abyss actually felt more challenging, first trying to find a way to get banished, and then not having a way to work off Drain.

Then I died stupidly in Zot because I was trying to get the 2nd Ely banner within one game (champion 5 gods). I'd already got ****** with Ely, TSO, Zin. Championed Usk and abandoned him shortly afterwards. Then joined Wu.
Because Discord didn't appear to award piety properly I was using riskier ways to kill things.
Also I should have quaffed !heal when that gold dragon reduced my health below the point of safety.

:(

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too