Post Saturday, 4th September 2021, 19:54

YAVP: DrIE^Qaz - First win! (0.27)

First win, as a Red Draconian Ice Elementalist melee hybrid of Qazlal, using axes and Shield of the Gong.

My notes:
  • I got crazy lucky with gear, especially Scrolls of Acquirement. The early Broad Axe of Freezing carried me through the midgame, and I think I got an upgrade to some auxiliary slot on every scroll I read. I had every important resist way earlier than I usually do.
  • Stairdancing with Qazlal + Shield of the Gong + Axes is pretty fun. Just fight entire floors at the entrance stairs.
  • I unequipped the Shield of the Gong the two times I got banished, because I'm a coward. Also, I survived getting banished twice!
  • I made some boneheaded decisions and didn't get punished for them, including several straight-up misclicks (I'm playing on a PC without a numpad for the first time, and still getting used to using y/u/b/n for diagonal movement).
  • I misunderstood how Ozocubu's Refrigeration worked, thought it did damage over multiple turns but it's actually just a nuke. Knowing that, I probably shouldn't have trained up Ice Magic far enough to cast it, and just used Disaster Area for big nukes. OR did carry pretty hard in Shoals and Vaults though...
  • Those Orb of Fire mutations at the end were rough. I think I blew all 5 of my Potions of Mutation trying and failing to get rid of involuntary berserking. Ended up having to fight a Panlord with Berserk-. Not fun.
  • Speaking of which, that friggin' orb run. Non-caster Pan Lord spawned in a position where I couldn't get around him on I think Depths 1, meaning there wasn't an alternate stair I could go to, so I had to fight him...with involuntary berserking, so pure melee. And then the berserk ran out before he was dead. Definitely thought I was going to die there. Then had to deal with an Ice Fiend later on and almost died, ended up chugging about 10 Potions of Curing (was out of Heal Wounds) as soon as I got a moment to breathe.
  • I didn't even know the Zot clock was a thing...I guess I spent too long napping on staircases trying to draw stuff to me with noise in Zot 5.

Whatever, made it out, wooooooo!

Core stats:

Code:
Health: 273/273    AC: 22    Str: 16    XL:     27
Magic:  36/36      EV: 17    Int: 23    God:    Qazlal [***...]
Gold:   2090       SH: 41    Dex: 19    Spells: 21/54 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis .   M - +9 broad axe (elec)
rCold    + . .     Faith    .   m - +18 shield of the Gong {rElec rN+ Will+ EV-5}
rNeg     + + .     Spirit   .   (armour unavailable)
rPois    +         Reflect  +   E - +3 hat "Lesid" {rN+ Int+2}
rElec    +         Harm     .   F - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr    .         Rampage  .   P - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
Will     ++++.     Rnd*Rage +   (no boots)
Stlth    +.........             T - amulet of Xom's Passing Interest {Reflect +Inv rElec SH+5 Stlth+}
HPRegen  0.55/turn              U - ring "Ecome" {Will+ Dex+6}
MPRegen  0.25/turn              a - ring "Qulef" {Wiz rF+ rC+ Str-4 Int+2}

A: breathe fire, AC +13, unfitting armour, fire resistance 1, cold-blooded,
antennae 1, beak, hooves 1, berserk 3, deterioration 1, dopey 1, low mp 1,
subdued magic 1, MP-powered wands

Skills:
 O Level 27 Fighting
 + Level 18.2 Axes
 - Level 15.0 Dodging
 - Level 1.7 Stealth
 - Level 15.0 Shields
 - Level 14.0 Spellcasting
 - Level 5.0 Conjurations
 - Level 14.0 Ice Magic
 - Level 5.0 Air Magic
 O Level 27 Invocations
 - Level 5.0 Evocations

Highlight kills:

Code:
Vanquished Creatures
  A pandemonium lord (Depths:1)
  2 dread liches
  4 ancient liches
  3 orbs of fire (Zot:4)
  Mara (Vaults:4)
  3 juggernauts
  The ghost of Fuonemn the Impregnable, a veteran DDBe of Trog (Elf:2)
  Sojobo (Vaults:4)
  Boris (Depths:3)
  2 Killer Klowns (Zot:5)
  Saint Roka (Vaults:4)
  Xtahua (Vaults:1)
  A curse toe (Zot:2)
  Nikola (Vaults:1)
  7 golden dragons
  4 electric golems
  23 tentacled monstrosities
  An Ice Fiend (D:13)
  8 liches