YAVP - 6-rune (2xPan) VpFE of Ashenzari

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 8th June 2021, 15:31

YAVP - 6-rune (2xPan) VpFE of Ashenzari

http://crawl.montres.org.uk/morgue/dame ... 013003.txt

VpFE. Another doomed combo, thank you RNG, with Vp's -3 Conjurations and -2 Fire Magic. I killed two in the early dungeon, but then one picked up Ash on D:3 and it seemed like if I could get the Ash skill boost rolling it might be less doomed. I got that around D:8, and then got Sticky Flame, then OTR on Lair:4 - and Sticky Flame and OTR will basically murder everything for a very long time.

I struggled on Swamp:2 - swamp dragons don't care about Meph Cloud or OTR and you can get poisoned horribly in the clouds - until it struck me I could just stay Thirsty and get rPois that way.

After that the next real problem was Lom Lobon, having scooped up the demonic rune without any trouble; I tried to get clever with phantom mirrors and the like but it turned out the actual answer was just to BVC them in place and hammer them with Iron Shot. I worked this out in time but I'd burned a lot of consumables and decided this was probably enough extended runes. I did scoop up the abyssal rune, landing almost directly next to a rune vault on A:3.

The orbrun was pretty routine; one panlord on U:1 who I evaded. I'm sure they used to turn up more often.

In terms of spells, Sticky Flame, OTR, and BVC did the heavy lifting.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th June 2021, 13:07

Re: YAVP - 6-rune (2xPan) VpFE of Ashenzari

damerell wrote: Sticky Flame and OTR will basically murder everything for a very long time

Did you consider adding Ignite Poison to the mix? Loads of fun.

Btw, what's a broadsword in Crawl?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 9th June 2021, 14:50

Sprucery wrote:
damerell wrote: Sticky Flame and OTR will basically murder everything for a very long time

Did you consider adding Ignite Poison to the mix? Loads of fun.

Btw, what's a broadsword in Crawl?

I gather Ignite Poison has changed since the 0.23ish I'm playing, but I might try it out. There's the usual problem where you stick to familiar spells because they're familiar.

A broadsword is a double sword with a sensible name. (A claymore is a triple sword with a sensible name).
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th June 2021, 06:27

Ignite Poison was changed in 0.17, I don't think there's been changes after that?

damerell wrote:A broadsword is a double sword with a sensible name. (A claymore is a triple sword with a sensible name).

I guess DCSS has lost some sensibility :)
0.16 changelog wrote:* Renamed items:
- Cutlasses are now rapiers.
- Bastard swords are now double swords.
- Claymores are now triple swords.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too