YAVP (but blissfully short for a change): 7-rune VSBe

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 17th May 2021, 18:47

YAVP (but blissfully short for a change): 7-rune VSBe

http://crawl.montres.org.uk/morgue/dame ... 023032.txt

What, another one? But for a change I'm going to write an ascension report without too many words. The streak breaker here was a FeWr, but I gave that combo another go and got all the way to Lair:6...

VSBe, all the Hell runes. TRog came through like a champion, giving me a +7 QB on D:9, a +lots flaming fustibalus on Swamp:1, Punk in a Desolation, and a +9 hunting sling with rElec in Hell after I'd just nearly died of not having rElec. I trained Evo for more MP initially but once you've got 20+ Evo every problem looks like something to cover in box beasts.

I very nearly died (HP 1/63) on Lair:3 finding the Swamp entrance with an inconvenient mob of swamp worms. After that it was all plain sailing until Hell, where I killed Geryon OK but I forgot I'd I'd stopped using an rElec buckler and tried to blow up the welcoming committee with a disc of storms.

HP 26/156 and a desperate struggle - blinking, fog, holy word, Trog's Hand, biting things to top up MP, and so forth - but eventually I stabilised things.

Asmodeus and Antaeus were fine (a phantom mirror); Ereshkigal was very much not fine and I could have died to her. I realised afterwards I'm an idiot; having made scrolls of noise break magical silence, I should have read one. Dispater (and the Serpent of Hell) were easy by comparison; I teleported across Dis:7 to avoid a multiple iron giant encounter, landed near Dispater, and finished him off with yet another phantom mirror.

Zot:1-4 went easy on the orbs of fire and aliches; Zot:5 had plenty but of course on VS if you can just get close to an OOF and nibble it, it's harmless. One panlord on Z:5 - avoided them. And that's win #38.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th May 2021, 06:19

Re: YAVP (but blissfully short for a change): 7-rune VSBe

Congrats, 7 runes with 4 from Hell is impressive. I'm just curious, was a quick blade of _protection_ really your main melee weapon?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 29th May 2021, 14:02

Re: YAVP (but blissfully short for a change): 7-rune VSBe

Sprucery wrote:Congrats, 7 runes with 4 from Hell is impressive. I'm just curious, was a quick blade of _protection_ really your main melee weapon?

Yes. Seems odd, doesn't it? But I branded it once and got protection; it was the only QB in the game; the main purpose of a QB on VS is to let your bite bite faster; and while rebranding it could have done better, it could have done a lot worse. The extra AC any time I was fighting wasn't to be sniffed at.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too