It's been a lot of time since my last totally not YASD

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 29th October 2020, 10:36

It's been a lot of time since my last totally not YASD

Nothing special on this char, a o-tab Ba^Oka. No fancy equipment, just that it's a death by autoexplore, a thing that did not happen to me since lot of time, like years.

I was mindlessly o-tabbing Vaults, killing pretty much anything at ease, then this happened:

Code:

56031 | Vaults:3 | Noticed Xtahua
56031 | Vaults:3 | Paralysed by Xtahua for 7 turns
56035 | Vaults:3 | HP: 20/176 [Xtahua/searing blast (73)]
56036 | Vaults:3 | HP: 9/176 [Xtahua] (11)]
56037 | Vaults:3 | Killed from afar by Xtahua

Still, not complaining; on the other hand it is remarkable that things like this happens extremely rarely in a very big game such as DCSS.

Full morgue: https://cbro.berotato.org/morgue//nago/ ... 093627.txt
Last edited by nago on Thursday, 29th October 2020, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
Majang

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 29th October 2020, 11:53

Re: It's been a lot of time since my last totally not YASD

Wait, Xtahua can paralyse?! I have been playing a long time and I did not know.

Thanks for the beautiful autoexplore paralysis example! Also, I may approach Xtahua with more respect in the future.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks:
andrew

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 29th October 2020, 14:57

yeah since a lot of time.

But I also tend to forget he can do that, because usually it's kinda a pushover.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 29th October 2020, 21:18

What would have been different if you had not been autoexploring? It seems that the unpronouncable critter had you paralysed the moment you noticed it. Could have happened in any circumstances.
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks:
andrew

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 30th October 2020, 01:06

nago wrote:yeah since a lot of time.

But I also tend to forget he can do that, because usually it's kinda a pushover.

Not sure the goal of that commit (giving Xtahua a niche) really succeeded, given how few players seem to know about it.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 21st November 2020, 18:18

Majang wrote:What would have been different if you had not been autoexploring? It seems that the unpronouncable critter had you paralysed the moment you noticed it. Could have happened in any circumstances.

For most cases of paralysis, your positioning matters a lot. Without autoexplore, you can explore so that you attempt to minimise the chance that a monster comes into view close to you, and then she has much smaller chance to paralyse and kill you without any chance to react.

But in this case you are right: to the best of my knowledge, Xtahua's fire breath has full (or just almost full?) LOS range, she can kill you from anywhere exactly the same way. (Her breath does a lot of damage, even without the fire cloud her breath leaves, which does additional damage only when you are paralysed.) Seems a dumb thing to me to give paralysis to such a monster.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks: 2
Majang, nago

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 25th November 2020, 06:05

sanka wrote:But in this case you are right: to the best of my knowledge, Xtahua's fire breath has full (or just almost full?) LOS range, she can kill you from anywhere exactly the same way. (Her breath does a lot of damage, even without the fire cloud her breath leaves, which does additional damage only when you are paralysed.) Seems a dumb thing to me to give paralysis to such a monster.
MY FIRE BREATH HAS A RANGE OF 5, SHORTER THAN THE DEFAULT LOS OF 7. AND MAYBE YOU ARE THE DUMB ONE, HUH?

For this message the author XTAHUA has received thanks: 2
nago, sanka

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 25th November 2020, 09:41

Poor Xtahua, with all her inflated ego, is still a lowly Lair Larrikin. I will keep that in mind next time I meet her in the Dungeon of Zot, and perish with a condescending smile on my lips...
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks: 2
nago, petercordia

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too