YAVP: 0.23ish 6-rune MfAr of Oka (2-streak)

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 15th September 2020, 16:57

YAVP: 0.23ish 6-rune MfAr of Oka (2-streak)

http://crawl.montres.org.uk/morgue/dame ... 020941.txt

This was another attempt at a random combo and first viable god. I think I lucked out with Oka, but I was pleased to get a 2-streak. Fedhas turned up on D:3 but I know there's a rework of Fedhas in the pipeline so I thought I'd leave that, and D:4 had Oka and Xom.

A centaur combined with Harold nearly collected me on D:7 but then it was easy going, especially since Oka opened the gift box with a bardiche of draining on D:9, which I'd rebrand to venom and then later to electrocution. Oka also served up boots of flying and gloves of strength, and some interesting body armour. I found a bardiche of freezing on Spider:1 and that was all the melee weapons I wanted. Conversely, Oka was incredibly tight with javelins, to the point I ended up going into Ice Magic later mostly in case I ran out of javs altogether.

I went to Lair first - I'd found a glaive of flaming - with a nasty run-in with Gastronok on Lair:2. I learned my first spell here - Blink. Lair wasn't really troublesome other than Gastronok, and I went to Orc; I found a chain mail with {rC+ Regen+} which even with my rotten Armour apt was the best thing available. However, the Orc shops then served up acquirement (for a manual of Dodging) and a +5 ring mail with {Regen+ Dex+2 Slay+2} - much better for a merfolk, and it would last me half the game.

I worked down to D:14 (and being "paralysed by an ogre mage for 7 turns" on D:13 suggests I could have lost here), then did Swamp, killing Nikola with a potion of resistance but otherwise mostly just mopping up without trouble. Spider was similarly undramatic - bardiches make annoying sacks of AC and HP like emperor scorpions just go away.

Next was D:15, then Vaults. I magic mapped to find a bazaar on D:1, but got Marked on the way; fortunately, it turned out to be one of those useful Marks where you have a defensible spot and half the level comes to you to be chewed up in it. I got into the bazaar to find it was mostly very cheap potions, but also that I had picked up on the way a +9 chain mail with {Dex+3} which I'd use for a surprisingly short time, and that Oka had gifted me a +0 cloak with {rC+++ Str+6} which I'd use for the Str all the way to Zot.

On V:2 Okawaru gave me the +0 glaive of Atheism {flame, rPois rF- Int+6}, a gift which seemed like it might have some subtext behind it - rather reminiscent of the time when Oka gave me an rF- item at a point where I was literally on fire. However, my faith was renewed when Oka served up a +0 robe with {rElec rCorr Str+10 Dex+3} - I didn't much want to be strolling around in +0 robe and +0 cloak, but with mid-40s Str the bardiche was sheer murder, and I could learn Ozo's Armour (which I did).

I got Abyssed on V:3, but it was one of those Abyssings where you stagger into the rune vault (one with mostly heffalumps, which is not very dangerous if you can fly or swim over water and they can't), scoop up the rune, heal up, and come back to beat down whatever Abyssed you. I killed Boris on V:4 which I mention because I'm British and it made me smile. I learned Throw Icicle because of the shortage of javelins, but in the end I had _just_ enough and never used it.

After this I didn't much fancy V:5 or Depths, but - while MR was low - I thought I might try Elf: 1-2, which I did, buying a helmet of see invisible and getting Charms/ Ice properly trained up.

After that, it was time for Depths, which wasn't as bad as I anticipated and let me improve my MR with a randart ring; I learned Deflect Missiles near the end and eventually got it online. I still didn't fancy V:5 or E:3, but Clare said "what about Slime?" and that seemed feasible. I had a pretty undramatic trip down Slime and was able to catch TRJ in a corridor then drop flame from a wand of clouds and chuck javelins of penetration when it retreated. This panned out nicely because besides the rune I got an amulet with {Spirit MR+}, an obvious upgrade from plain guardian spirit.

Elf:3 was OK - I got one of those stone corridor entrances to the room of bastards that just lets you hammer them with wands of iceblast - and I got a book of Battle (welcome since I'd trained the Charms already; I ended up using Shroud and Regeneration most of the game) a ring with {rPois Str+7 Int-4 Stlth+} (which I'd use later to get high Str for Zot), an amulet with {Regen+ Str+3 Int+3} (which I switched to for a while because a lot of my MP was tied up in permabuffs so Spirit was less good, but I went back to {Spirit MR+} for the MR), and a +5 ring mail with {rF+++ rC- rN+ Regen+}... which I really didn't want to use, but I was aware I'd seen very little other rF for Zot and I might have to later.

To V:5! Teleported on arrival and cleared; Abyssed by a lich, but again it was the easy sort of Abyssment where you aren't in for long and just pop out again to make your displeasure with the Abysser known. Nothing very useful, but a rune's a rune.

Now I had 5 runes, but I'm leaning towards going for at least one extended rune these days; I did Hell last time, so it was off to Pan. I arrived on one level to find a dreadful tide of malmutators; I teleported and worked back on the offchance it was a rune vault, and it was. I had more trouble escaping Pan - I fled Cerebov's level (with my only rF being from a ring) and Mnoleg's, getting shoutitis off a neqoxec then escaping through the Abyss.

I cleared the Crypt next, polishing off Saint Roka, Jory, and Bai Suhzen. I was hoping to find something more useful with rF than that ring mail from E:3, but no luck; I learned Freezing Cloud, but never used it.

I had my 6 runes, so bought all the consumables and went to Zot. I got into very serious trouble with a death cob and draconians on Zot:2 but had heal wounds to spare; I realised I was playing complacently and while sleepy, so I stopped for a bit.

I saw my first OOF on Z:3, getting blurry vision and triggering a round of mutroulette. This was my only OOF trouble; Heroism and Finesse make mincemeat of them with a big weapon of Finesse. The next one I saw gave me deterioration 1 which never bothered me and clarity, which was nice of it.

On Z:4 Okawaru gave me a randart scarf with {rC+ rF+, rN+ Str+4}. This was a great relief; I could get out of the ring mail and back into the +10 Str robe (and not risk death to electric golems), and reshuffle my jewellery to what you see in the morgue.

Z:5 was a pretty routine job; I oneshot Orb Guardians both with javelins and the bardiche. The orbrun was uneventful, save for a pleasing moment where I spotted two panlords on Z:1 and was able to use a scroll of fog to evade them with ninja-like unnoticeability.
Last edited by damerell on Tuesday, 15th September 2020, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 15th September 2020, 17:40

Re: YAVP: 0.23ish 6-rune MfAr of Oka (2-streak)

Good job! Streaking is always very exciting :D

Questions:
1. Where is the char dump? I want to see it all!
2. So you went to win after 6 runes. Was it because Pan was scary, or that was the plan all along, or something else?
3. So you used mostly javelins and a bardiche plus only small utility spells, but still wore a robe? Why not something heavier?

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 15th September 2020, 18:18

Re: YAVP: 0.23ish 6-rune MfAr of Oka (2-streak)

Magipi wrote:Good job! Streaking is always very exciting :D

Questions:
1. Where is the char dump? I want to see it all!
2. So you went to win after 6 runes. Was it because Pan was scary, or that was the plan all along, or something else?
3. So you used mostly javelins and a bardiche plus only small utility spells, but still wore a robe? Why not something heavier?

I hope some day to find out what a 3-streak is like, but I find I'm super prone to going "eh, it's a hobgoblin, windshield kill" when I start a game after a win.

1) Whoops! I knew I'd forgotten something. Edited.

2) This is my 32nd win; my last 3-rune wins were #15 HuCK (after which I observed an informal 4-rune minimum) and #20 OgEE (where I went deeper in a zig than Clare, with whom I have a friendly rivalry, and after doing that I wanted to just cash the game in order to tease her). Other than the OgEE, I've been doing 4-5, with 7 on MDFi and 15 on GhMo. Often those 4-5 haven't been taken exclusively from Lair/Abyss/Vaults/Slime, though - eg the VpSk who did 5 with Tomb 5th. After winning every species with #30 SpWr, I feel I can go for a bit more stunt flying, and am probably requiring myself to get at least one extended rune every game. If Lom Lobon had turned up before an exit, I might have had a crack at them, but I didn't much fancy tangling with Cerebov or Mnoleg and I'd done what I came to do.

3) Well, +3 Dodging (with a manual cashed), -3 Armour, and +10 Str on the robe (and Ozo's at respectable spellpower, and Deflect Missiles which would not have worked well in (say) the +9 chain); essentially I was doubling down on having a huge +9 two-hander and Finesse on demand. 20/35/0 defences aren't great, but they got me through, my offense was massive, and by the end I had 21 Evo and a huge collection of evocables (it helps that Stoat Soup _has_ more evocables than vanilla 0.22-0.23) to call on in case of trouble. When I did MfAr I finished in the Robe of Augmentation, and more generally I often find light armour melee surprisingly viable. My DsVM finished in leather, say.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too