VAVP: TrHu^Oka

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

at

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 27th February 2020, 18:47

VAVP: TrHu^Oka

Troll Hunter of Okawaru

https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/Lowtech/morgue-Lowtech-20200227-160912.txt

My 5th win
Fun character, never struggled and felt like I was in control. Found early tower shield for defense that I kept all game. Could kill hydras with wands and throwing. Found enough MR gear. Found gold dragon scales in Orc and from that point on it went smooth.
Found Okawaru to be really perfect for this character. Ended up more of a melee and ranged powerhouse than I have ever before.

Also learnt that raising spell power with 7 int is almost completely pointless. Even though Beastly Appendage seems like a good match for a Troll the damage seemed so minor compared to normal attacks I didn't bother using it much. I would have guess with high strength the the aux attacks should do more damage.

Proudest moments:
Skipped last levels of Dungeon when facing Rupert and doing Swamp and Snake instead. Then the MR situation was fixed and he was easy.

Clearing Desolation of Salt. Last time was the first time I was there and then I learned:
You shall not enter with Qazlal.
You shall not believe you are standing on the exit when you are in fact standing on the entry.

It was still a very dangerous place and I think quick dispatching of some of the threats in there is a must if trying to keep it safe.

Taking care of Khufu.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th February 2020, 19:10

Re: VAVP: TrHu^Oka

Were you actually using the +fly ring? Otherwise, the 5th pip of MR is entirely too much MR, and you could have gone with anything else. You didn't seem to have many rings in inventory, but if you ever found something like a +2-3 prot/evasion ring that's more useful than MR+++++.

at

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 28th February 2020, 13:13

Re: VAVP: TrHu^Oka

Thanks Tasonir!

Well, I needed all that MR to remove possibility of Ancient Liches paralysing me I think. Not a very large risk (2% maybe, don't remember) if I skipped the ring but still, what would I do if running around a corner and being instantly paralysed? More AC and Evasion might be a better choice but less obviously so.

I did enjoy your almost 4 years old Naga of Chei videos on Youtube a while back ;)

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too